xisto Community
WeaponX

Cable Internet Connection Requires Aol To Go Online?

Now i think of something. We need to isolate the issue see if it's relate to each pc or just the router + modem.After you login using AOL say on PC A, then PC A can go online, now can PC B and go online as well? Or each of them has to login via AOL before they can access internet?I'm not that sure bout cable modem, but does it need to configure with username and password on the modem, and login as well? If so, could be that the AOL login trigger the modem to login? (If this is the case, then the earlier scenario would be, PC A login AOL, then all other PC can go online, right? )If it's not the modem that does the login, then it's configure via the router.For us, using ADSL, if it's a modem, the login is done either on the PC side or the router side. If it's a "router modem", then it itself can login.Another thing is, your router has a built in ethernet hub/switch? (that has nothing to do with AOL login, just curious)

At first I thought all of them needed to login to AOL since he had it installed on all three. But nope. Once one of them is connected, it seems like all of them will be able to access the internet via Internet Explorer.I'm narrowing it down to the modem like you are now and will be calling Cablevision on my next visit if I still can't resolve it. I'm not sure, but I think it does require some login. Is there a way I can find out either from the modem or router? The modem has the cable line connected to it and from there to the router.All I know is that the router has 4 ports and all of them are used except for one (only has 3 PCs).

OK, at least can see some light now. There's 3 ways that the modem and router can be connected to work.1. The modem is in PPPoE or ATM or something similar as for our ADSL case. Then then router is doing the dialing or login via the modem. You should be able to access the web base configuration on the router by login in to the gateway IP configured on the PCs. From there you can check those configurations.2. The modem is a modem router, which itself has an IP can capable of dialing or login. It itself also has a web base configuration. You can try connect direct to it and see if it's auto assign IP. If it does, take a look at it's web base configuration. Most modem router can be configured as a "bridge", which it will work as per case 1 above. In bridge mode, the web configuration will be disabled. The only way to access it is to do a full reset to return to router mode. In bridge mode, the configuration is not necessary since which ever device is dialing it will be taking care of that.3. Similar to case 1 above, bout this time, your router is acting just like a hub/switch. This way, the dialing/login is done on the PCs, once 1 of the PC has login, the rest of those connected to hub/switch will able to go online. This method is less use, and for me, i only seen it used at my ex-college, which they decide to change to case 1 after a few months. In this case, since no router is there, so IP will not be auto assign, each PC must have it's own IP configured manually.Hope this give you some clue. Good luck