xisto Community
webguru

Blood Made Of Plastic

Source :http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/6645923.stm

Injured soldiers and crash victims could have their lives saved with plastic blood, scientists claimed Wednesday.

The artificial blood – which will be available in about a decade – is sterile, easily stored and could be given to any patient via transfusion regardless of their blood type.

The synthetic blood is not a long-term substitute for the real thing but can keep patients alive until a transfusion can be carried out. It is most likely to be used where real blood is not available.

Real blood must be refrigerated and has a shelf life of a little over a month. Care has to be taken to ensure any used for transfusion is the same type as a patient’s blood group. The artificial version is free of such problems. It can be stored at room temperature for months.

The blood – which has yet to be tested on humans – is made up of millions of plastic molecules. Similar in size and shape to haemoglobin, the compound responsible for ferrying oxygen round the body, they pick up oxygen from the lungs and release it into the tissues.

Brilliant idea, but we are still to see it well executed. Decade? That seems quite long a time period, in which many things can change. Although I'm quite concerned about economical issues that may stand in the way (who will produce the blood, and who will pay for it are among the important questions), I'm looking forward to anything that, even to a minimal extent, may reduce the number of deaths occurring just before the appropriate assistance is issued.

Hello,This is actually a productive thing that they are trying to introduce but it might not be easy for them to acheiveit as they have to make the substance in such a way that the body does not reject the artificial blood before the person gets a tranfusioon because if he rejects it then the patient is much more danger as his body immediately weakens down due to the internal activity, I have seen people after their bodies have rejected blood transfers and it is a painful process both for the doctor and the patient.But It is great if this idea works out neatly, On a lighter side I guess we too are turning into plastic rather than cyborgs.lol.

Wow, but a decade to go? I guess they're only using them in extreme emergencies such as wars. Just think of all the people it would save, but at the same time, the financial burden upon the people who pay for it, either by taxes or up front. I guess it would be safer to let it become public (or at least available anyway) in 10 years since the economy isn't exactly at its greatest right now.

Wow, science these days amazes me all the time. I never knew that blood can be formed from plastic, that there is just plain genius. But discoveries like this is good for man kind. Anything to help us is a good thing, things like weapons of mass destruction which scientists are also observing and improving is something that can be very dangerous in the hands of evil. But with this artifical blood, moments when a hostpital does not have blood type for a critical patient is the best thing and option left to use that can help a life that is in dire need of living or a min more before a proper patient of the same blood type can be found. This fact of science is as interesting as the time when I heard that vegetable oil can be used as gas to operate a automobile, which was already a improvement to life since our gas resource I believe will be gone eventually and we would need to look at other sources for operating our cars. But one thing I am awaiting to hear is a cure for the most detrimental viruses of the human race, AIDS/HIV...If we can find a cure for that and maybe cancer too, we would not live life in much fear as we do now.

I can only think about who will this blood be available to. I mean no tonly in terms of regions and countries, but also of ecomomic levels. As with any medical discovery or scientific advance, only people that can afford huge amounts of money have access to it. So even if there IS a cure for cancer, or AIDS, I don't think it will be the end of those diseases.

This sounds like a promising idea, even though I don't think I'll have plastic blood in my system. If this thing does come out, I'll wait to see what happens to people ten or 15 years down the road before I even consider this one of my options.Also, I wonder if insurance companies will start to pay for this? Only time will tell!

Guys you miss the point - such plastic blood would be only a temporary solution, until the patient receives proper help. As I've written above, if the idea does get implemented that would be a tremendous breakthrough. Imagine everybody having such a small kit in their car med-kits. How much less accident victims would die of blood-loss. The sole consequences for police/military would be worth spending extra buck on health insurance, I think.

Wow. Blood made of plastic? We seem to be making everything nowadays. Soon, humans will be made almost completely with artificial parts. XD Ahaha, we'll turn into just another walking, talking...Barbie doll? o.OBut the idea is a good one. As the article says, it'll definitely be a help in war zones where people can't get medical attention immediately. Questions still remain though as to who's going to pay for it and who will have access to it. However, the idea of having plastic blood running in my veins is a scary thought. I don't think I want it in my system unless absolutely necessary and safe.Serena

lol...I wonder what the outcome will come to this would be? is there a higher heart atack rate? is there allergic reactions to the plastic???? hmmmmm....i don't think it's a good idea.

Plastic blood huh, that sounds rather complicated lol.I'm sure there is a bit more to it than plastic though.Hopefully I will never need it's assistance lol, just sounds eery eh.