xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Basic Info & Download/ Installation Tutorial For Asp.net 2.0

Basic Info & Download/Installation Tutorial for ASP.NET 2.0

Well I received a book about ASP 2.0 and was ask to go over and review it later on which means test out the scripts that come with the book and what not. So far in my success in learning ASP I was able to download and install the proper software in order to get ASP running on a local machine (my computer) and so those who would like to ASP like I am somewhat. These series of tutorials that I will provide thanks to this book will give a general idea on how ASP works and build "robust" web applications. I will list the software that you will need and then break it down for you as best as I can understand it from this book and what I can find on the web.

First let's talk about what ASP is, well ASP is a Active Server Pages which is a server side technology that build web applications based on the Microsoft .NET framework and windows server based operating systems i.e. Windows Server 2003, 2005 and it's database component being Microsoft SQL. Now with this complete package of Microsoft technology what programming languages does it support? Easy enough 40 known languages are support by ASP.net which includes C#, VB, VB.NET, JScript and XML to name a few (at this time I don't have the complete list but once I find it I will update this post).

So what's all the big hoopla well as stated in the book that ASP is unique because of the wide variation of programming languages it uses when people are designing ASP.NET web applications, however their is some other interesting stuff in it as well, for one it has full access to the .NET framework which includes database interaction, email and web services to name a few. Also with ASP it is possible to have it separated from html coding which means that you don't need to have to upload it into a webpage in order to see it; you are able to run the scripts separately. Well not to bore you with all this technical jargon and boring dictionary terms lets get right down to business, but first I would like to point to everyone the main ASP web page that pretty much covers everything about ASP.net and funny enough the domain is ASP.NET and look just remembered a website with no effort at all.

Now to fun stuff the software components, well to simply put their is the paid version of all this software, but why spend thousands of dollars when you get all the tools you really need to run a ASP.NET server on your computer, so lets begin shall we. Just a small reminder that as we install the components to the required software to get a ASP server going, I would recommend that that after each installation that you run the software update/patch when they mention them. So at the end of the installation it will lower the possibilities that something might go wrong if you do it in one fell swoop.

Software Requirements

.NET Framework 2.0
Basically this software is what’s needed to run ASP.NET simple enough and so where can you download it? Simple enough right HERE. I would make a small note on that .NET framework there is a 3.0 version out, but since I am a beginner as much as anyone else reading this tutorial we will be sticking with 2.0. Ok now with that out of the way go ahead and install the .NET software and of course choose the language that your computer is based on (i.e. English, German, French) and also make sure your computer fulfills the following requirement:

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Premium; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Starter; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP Service Pack 2

* Required Software:

o Windows Installer 3.0 (except for Windows 98/ME, which require Windows Installer 2.0 or later). Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.
o IE 5.01 or later: You must also be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later for all installations of the .NET Framework.
* Disk Space Requirements: 280 MB (x86), 610 MB (x64)

So after you download and install the framework component it brings up a message th get any updates and or patches, In which of course I recommend because it's always to get your self protected, especially since your running a server that could be connected through the net. So go ahead and download the patches and then install them accordingly.

.NET Framework 2.0 Software Development Kit (SDK)

This next component you will be installing on to your computer is the SDK for the framework, which consist of developer tools, a debugger, and documents and examples of some ASP scripts. This is good to have so you can get an idea of what to expect with ASP.NET, when you begin the long process of coding and debugging these scripts. So to download the SDK go HERE. So once the SDK eventually downloads (don't know why it is taking forever but might as well do this one step at a time). Of course make sure to choose the appropriate language for you to properly install the software and you don't get yourself confused through the quick installation process.

Ok we are now installing the SDK and low and behold you done, wasn't that easy? Well not yet, we have comeback to the dreaded update screen but this time we come with another message as well;

To run Visual J# 2005 Tools and Samples, you must have the Visual J# Redistributable Package 2.0 installed. For more information, see the Microsoft Visual J# .NET Developer Center on MSDN.

"https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb188593;

simple enough lets first run through the updates and get the necessary patches and what not, go ahead and install them and then we might as well and go ahead and open up and download the visual J# files, so go ahead and copy the link I provided without the quotes. Small reminder you will get this message when you install the SDK, which lucky for us you can highlight and then copy and paste.

Visual J# Version 2.0 Redistributable Package

Simple enough this is used to run Visual J# applications through your .NET framework and of course to find the proper link for this I point to you HERE. As usual install the software and make sure to read through the fine print and update according as so to protect you from those unknown dangers that may lurk about. Of course the update/patch message does come up so go through the process of updating those patches.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

The next software component to this wonder world of ASP is the SQL or server database software, which of course is used to store your information through databases ie: name dates and shopping cart items. Lucky for us who don't want to shell out the several hundred dollars to get SQL, Microsoft provides us with a free version of the same thing. What is the catch you say? Nothing its still fully functional as if you were purchasing the more expensive version but since we want simplicity and not to overwhelm ourselves you could say this free version does just that. Well now we are in a predicament which version of the expression edition do we choose? Simple go with the basic version and if you feel comfortable enough with coding knock yourself out and download the advanced version. The download page also consists of some SDK, but since I am following the book they don't mention it so I won't download them at this time. Also I would like to mention they give you the options to register this so if you want go ahead if not then click no and then download away. I almost forgot the link which is right HERE .

Now let's begin the installation process, simple enough just read the directions and off you go. Also you happen to get this warning message by clicking a link on the com portion of the installation;

- COM Plus Catalog Requirement (Warning)

If SQL Server Setup fails, Setup will roll back the installation but may not remove all .manifest files. The workaround is to rename the files and then rerun Setup. For more information, see How to: Work Around COM+ Check Failure in SQL Server Setup.

Ignore for now as it won't affect your installation but as a recommendation I would ask and most likely when the time comes to update I will add in the reason for this warning message. Also when come upon a authentication screen in this installation, go with mix and add your own password, as so you can double the security of your ASP.NET files. Also select both error reports as well since they can benefit you in the future as you’re learning to program in ASP. Well we just got 2 more downloads to go and the hard part is over YEAH!!.

SQL Server Management Studio Express
With this piece of software it is used for visual representation of the above software, reason stated as in the book, it don't come with the installation. Which don't matter because this software is free as well and now for that important download link HERE. If I am reading this correctly and I should, this software is used to physically see what’s going on your SQL server and what not (smells like another tutorial). So once I know what it is all about you will know deal? Also a smal FYI download the non X64 if you are not running that version of a processor.

Ok now we come in a predicament well not really unless your running the home version of windows, their are two ways to get your server online or the way they put it "aware" is either install IIS or Internet Information Services or another program they recommend called Cassini (which you can download Cassini Here). Which does the same but easier I guess. Now I will go through both ways but since I don't have my Windows CD with me I will go by the book on setting up the IIS so bare with me on that.

Configure IIS

To start this off make sure you have everything installed and updated and of course have your IIS installed by going to your control panel > then add/remove windows components and then select Internet Information Services then click on next and IIS will intall on your computer automatically. Once the installation is completed do the following;

1. Open the command prompt by selecting Start> All Programs > Microsoft .NET Frameworks SDK v2.0>SDK Command Prompt.

2. Type this aspnet_regiis.exe -1in the command prompt in order to install ASP.NET, it should look somewhat like this in the command prompt window (will update with a image).

3. Once ASP.NET is installed, closed the command prompt and check again to confirm that ASP.NET installed correctly.

Although this next step is optional because ASP.NET could have been installed already But run aspnet_regiis.exe just to double check to make sure it is running.

Configure Cassini
Now if you don't want to go through all that hassle then go ahead and download Cassini HERE. So go ahead and install Cassini I’ll wait....(3 seconds later), ok now there are two things I need to discus first about this and depending how you do this it will still comes with the same results.

First you must type the following in the command SDK command prompt which you go to by doing this Start> All Programs > Microsoft .NET Frameworks SDK v2.0>SDK Command Prompt.

Now what you have to type is simple gacutil /i C:\\Cassini\Cassini.dll and then press enter and Cassini is installed. Now if you remember that I had 2 things to talk about well the second thing is that, you don't have to run this command line (which is used to open port 80). You can set up a bin folder in your root directory of your server by copying the cassini.dll file in the Cassini folder on your hard drive or where ever you installed and paste it in there.

The reason for this if you do not run the build or place this file in to your bin folder your default port (80) will show a pop error state to the fact that Cassini cannot run on port 80 due to some other program running it. I haven't gone into deep on search what this program is, but port 80 has to do with your computer connecting to the internet. But like I said if you run the command prompt line you won't have the problem. Also there is another method of setting up your ASP and that is by setting up a free account through this server that deals with Cassini HERE. This consist of a download ot your computer and simple registration and that's it. Of course I will be converting more of that in my next tutorial on directories and viewing files.

Well that’s everything, if you have done everything correctly by following this tutorial (I hope) you should now have ASP.NET running on your computer and read to build applications and other fun stuff. So to keep things simple all questions/problems you have from this tutorial make sure to be specific. Also any questions you have beyond this tutorial will most likely be covered in future tutorials so try to stay on topic. It's a lot of reading but very useful info, hopefully as people have questions pertaining to this tutorial I will be able to update it accordingly, so make sure to ask specific questions to improve on this tutorial. So now for some copyright info:

UPDATE After going through some trial and errors I would recommend that you use IIS as your man server support for running ASP applications, after finding out the difficulty and lack of configurations options Cassin has and of course the book I am using says so. I will briefly mention that in the next tutorial.

Author's Notice

Small note any questions you may or might have in the future about this tutorial and related tutorials in the future I will try my best to answer them. However, I do recommend that you go to Microsoft's, asp.net, or any other site that talks about ASP.NET. Since I am a beginner at ASP.NET as I can't provide you the best of information, but I will try to provide you the best sources as to find out more or to answer your questions and as such these websites can provide more accurate information then I can at this time. Make sure before you download anything that you check and read system requirements for all downloads, because your system maybe incompatible with this software since there are 2 versions x86 and x64. As such I am not responsible for any damages this may cause to your system if you install, uninstall or alter any files on your system when working with ASP.NET 2.0. Also this tutorial is copyright by MRA aka Saint-Michael 2007. Maybe redistributed as long as this warning and copyright information remains intact and that you provide the original link to it’s source.

Edited by saint-michael (see edit history)

Thanks a lot for this guide, man. I had a job interview yesterday, and they use ASP rather than PHP. So, I am wanting to learn ASP. Also, they are moving towards .NET applications, so I want to learn this and hope they will hire me, hehe. Maybe you can do some examples for new people like me to learn from. Thanks again B)