xisto Community
soleimanian

Remote Desktop Connection In Windows Vista

Remote Desktop Connection in Windows Vista

What is Remote Desktop ?

Remote Desktop Connections can save time and aggravation: It's a technology already installed in Windows Vista that lets you sit at a computer in one place and connect to another computer in a completely different physical location away from you. For example, you can leave programs running on your computer at work and then see them the same way you do at work when you turn on your computer at home. You can be miles away from the work computer but be working on it as if you had never left the office. The remote computer screen will appear blank to anyone at the remote location.

There are some prerequisites to connect to a remote computer:

• The remote computer must be turned on.

• The remote computer must have a network or Internet connection.

• The remote computer must have Remote Desktop turned on.

• You must have network access to the remote computer. (Internet connections are okay.)

• You must have permission to connect. (You must be on the list of users for the remote compute).

To allow remote connections on the computer you want to connect to, follow these steps:

1- On the computer you want to allow a connection, open the system through the Control Panel.

2- Click "Remote Settings". Under "Remote Desktop", select one of the two "Allow Connections" options. Click "Help Me Choose" if you're not sure which one is right for you. You may be prompted for an administrator password or confirmation during this step.

3- Click "Select Users".

4- In the "Remote Desktop Users" dialog box, click "Add" to add your name.

5- In the "Select Users dialog" box, click "Locations", and choose the location you want to search.

6- In the "Enter The Object Names To Select" box, type the name of the user to add. Click OK.

7- In the "System Properties" dialog box, click OK.

To start Remote Desktop on the computer you want to work from, follow these steps:

1- Open "Remote Desktop Connection" (click the Start button, and search for Remote Desktop Connection).

2- In Computer, type the name of the computer to which you will be connecting. You can type the "IP" address of the computer instead of the name if you prefer. If you don't know your computer's name, click the Start button, and then click "Welcome Center". The computer name will be at the top of the window.

3- Click "Connect".

How to make remote desktop web connection ?Remote Desktop Connection In Windows Vista

How to make remote desktop connection to another computer in the same city by use internet connection ?I am useing ADSL+2 modem ?

-reply by M,Alogab

[How to make remote desktop connection to another computer in the same city by use internet connection ?I am useing ADSL+2 modem ?

Exactly as soleimanian told you in the topic starter.
Of course, the other computer in the city must have a fixed IP address, and must have been configured in order to let you in.
And also, probably, the modem has to be set up in order to redirect the ports to the computer you want to connect to.
You should do it in two steps : first of all try from a computer in the same network, in order to cleanup the local user's permissions and settings. And then, try from remote.

Well I know of another program that could easily bypass all the stuff you have to do to get a remote desktop connection. Download Team Viewer and then to get going you give the person this number key that they would type in and then your in. Of course, the best thing about it is that the lag isn't as noticeable if you were to do it through Windows Live Messenger or anything.

Also be sure your running a compatible version of windows. I found out the hard way that you cannot remotely connect to a windows XP HOME PC but you can connect from a home version. I.E. You can only connect to Professional versions. I am not sure how this works with Vista, but my money is one it only working with Business/Ultimate.

Re: Jimmy89, saint-michaelRemote Desktop Connection In Windows Vista

saint-michael: TeamViewer is far worse quality, dose not support multi-logging and requires installation.

Jimmy89: Ultimate is not Desktop Connection-Ready and you need a patch.

-reply by Jerry

remote desktop display problemRemote Desktop Connection In Windows Vista

HI:

I have vista home with dual monitors and I connect to Microsoft SBS2008 with XP and when I connect, my home monitor only shows an area of 8x12inches of the remote desktop on my screen, the area around it is all black and I cant figure out how to make it fill the whole screen, and neither can the computer guys that work for my employer and they say it would take too long to figure out so they want me to get another computer with only one monitor (they think its a monitor issue)...But I really don't want another computer, because I don't have room for another one and I like my dual screen capabilities.  Any ideas? 

-reply by carla

Yeah... Team viewer is the best option. Its free for personal use. and works fine..

Precisely. For distant computers, Team Viewer is a nice solution. It also has a standalone version, which is very comfortable.
And for the local network (in your home network or in your office network) the starter topic solution is still the best one, it has the most comfortable graphics and mouse/keyboard behavior.

Re: Jimmy89, saint-michaelRemote Desktop Connection In Windows Vista

saint-michael: TeamViewer is far worse quality, dose not support multi-logging and requires installation.

Teamviewer has a standalone version, it does not necessarily require installation. You can install it if you want to, but you can also use the standalone version. I prefer the standalone version, that way I don't modify my friend's computer settings, when I finish my job I simply remove the folder, or leave everything until the next need.

By standalone version you mean the you have the program in a zip file archive, you extract it and it works on your friends computer? So it's the same as portable version, which you can run from an usb disk.I usually like to connect by remote desktop, it's really much faster and has more quality, easier to work with the remote machine, but sometimes you can't do it, due to the computer does not have a static ip and you can't connect to it or the isp or router or something is blocking the remote desktop.Once I had a situation like that and that is when I started using TeamViewer, it's really a great solution if you can't use Remote Desktop and what's even better it's free for personal use.TeamViewer and Dropbox are those apps/services which I really think internet was made for :D I mean, it's a really useful service. :)