xisto Community
Molarmite

Help Creating A Browser-based Rpg

I have played games like http://the-lost-realm.com/ and http://www.torn.com/ and I have always wanted to make my own. I have some programming experience in Java and Perl, but I'm looking to make this game in PHP. It would be nice if someone could add me on MSN at joli334@yahoo.com and help me get started. I just want to start out with something simple and work my way up. I know not to shoot for the stars right away. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I would suggest finding a XAMPP installer and learning PHP first. XAMPP allows you to practice php and mySQL while offline. This is great so that you check if your game works before you upload the php files. I myself is trying to make one of my own. My only problem is a webhost, and that is the reason for my prescence here in Xisto.

Edited by lonelym (see edit history)

i could help

Help Creating A Browser-based Rpg

Yeah don't no how to do itt but hav played every mmorpg on the internet and no wat an exactly wats missing

-reply by internerd

To start with PHP (or any language, actually) either:1. Buy a book. the 'for dummies' and 'in 24 hours' series are quite good.2. Look for websites who can teach you that (such as http://www.w3schools.com/)3. Look at scripts on the internet and try to figure them out. (when you can't, google parts of it to do so)I'd recommend option #1. #2 is annoying, and #3 is hard a quite cruel in some cases.Oh, and to actually make a game would take some time. A year or so, if you don't have a lot of free time. I'd start planning out the combat/adventure/whatever systems during the learning process...

Edited by Moo64c (see edit history)

It's interesting to know more people want to make browser-based RPG's without using flash or java. I'm making one myself, it's isometric my one, though, what's more mine also uses javascript, which you *will* need to use, as on it's own, PHP cannot create the game. I'd be willing to help you with some of your rpg, but my time is limited, so dinnay expect a lot.

if you want to learn PHP, HTML etc I would advise http://www.w3schools.com/

I'm in the middle of doing HTML and allready I can write and understand quit a bit of script and write it from the top of my head.

also another good thing to do once you have a bit experiance on HTML/PHP is to go on any random website (even this one) and look at what they have done.

you do this by: look on your toolbar --> page --> view source.

by me doing this I  can see that this site uses text and javascript on this website with only looking for a few short seconds.

also if you are looking to creat a online buisness and have no experiance in web designing  I would recomend SBI (just google it) they give you all the tools to set up a website /buisness and all you realy need to know what to do is read an email.

-reply by misc

or re goto school again and pay for lones and money and then you will no :o whats u doing :o lol

or re goto school again and pay for lones and money and then you will no :o whats u doing :lol: lol

:o Please remember our forum rules, as expressed here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/Namely this :

Respect (frowned upon): All the members in this forum must respect and treat justfully all visitors of this forum. Everyone shall be treated equally in the matters of judgement. "Flaming" members unjustfully will not be allowed.

Some of us are newbies, some of us did not have the opportunity to go to school, and our goal is to be helpful for everybody, so be kind when answering a question. If you feel that you cannot be polite, please shut up !

lol respect. In no way did his answer constitute any disrespect orJudgement. It was merely an educational assumption. Obviously if he isAsking questions here, then he has not been to school for this type ofKnowledge yet, therefore dougeg suggested it. Personally, I think it isYordan that is the one that needs to go back to school (I'd even settleWith charm school). Now THAT was disrespect and a violation of theRules, did u catch the difference? </p>Wow yordan, I can't believe you are gonna slap that kind ofAccountability on dougeg. How was his suggestion not as good as anyoneElse's? Is going back to school to get a "genuine" education not aSolution? Judging by his grammar I could assume that he is younger,Possibly even a child. In which case your slandering just basically told him to ditch school, that it's okay to just come to forums for answersInstead. And then you try to put the blame of violating board rules onHim also?? My God.. What happened to people nowadays? Just because youHave authority on this forum all of a sudden gives you the right to make someone feel inferior after they have tried to help too?

hey (G),

if I were to create a flash based rpg game on my own, mind telling me which website should I visit?

I have some experience in php and sql, and am wondering if I can incorporate php codes into flash.

alternatively, should I code everything in AS3?

do you have any sites for tutorial that you can recommend?

right now I am searching blindly with google, I've been reading from tutorialized.Com. Hope I can get some lead to develop it faster.

-reply by puppetier

Well I have answers to many of the programming questions I saw previously and would love for you all to contact me so that I might help you all "get a foot in the door" with your browser games. But it would be senseless to leave any contact info behind because after the way yordan complained about dougeg's post, he will no doubt think this one is blasphemous against God or something. I for one, WILL NOT be revisiting this forum again simply from the immature moderation support. I have other sites/forums listed on google for help with HTML, Java, PHP, Ruby/Peral, RGSS, etc so just search and I'm sure you will find one of them easily. I am always happy to help :)

As I am reading this post entry, i detected script injection on this post alone which was triggered and captured by my debugger. I am giving the benefit of the doubt that the poster is not deliberately doing JavaScript injections.

Grammar as I have experienced it is not a judgement of age, there are 70% of post comments and pmed messages being sent to me on other forums, on websites that I made for a fee, on track backs and mailers which have this grammar error and even spelling. Not all speaks fluent English nor even write it. If the poster is from my country I can be 20% sure that the poster is younger and 80% that he never entered school

Chinese, Koreans and even Japanese post on poor grammars even if the poster is above 30 years of age. They mock and curse non stop if they don't agree, of course this 3 countries is not alone since most countries that is not fluent in English do this kind of posting.

If we rephrase what he said it will be "Go to school again and pay (loans and money) with your money (or take loans) and you will know what your doing. lol" or simple "Go back to school so you will know what you are doing". This is like mocking someone intentional and the guy claims he is 29 years old living in Canada. There is such a thing like a user profile in forums which moderators used to judge someone.

Posting a question about a topic does not mean he knows nothing about it. It can mean that he wants to do something but can't start and was fishing ideas from forum members which is not illegal. My weaver group (or simply web designers and programmers / admins) throws questions to each other from the noobish to the most advance questions nonstop 24 hours a day and 7 days a week with a rate of 200 questions per week and yet all are schooled to the topic they are asking. So technically, assuming that people asking questions about something does not mean he was not schooled at it, perhaps a newbie or he have not practiced this branch yet but not technically not schooled.

Saying to go back to school to learn something is not wrong if said the correct way and polite way. Neither people from my hacking group nor my elite Linux groups ever told its newbie members to go back to school face blank but they do give you alternatives and a suggestion to seek a mentor which is the same thing as.. go and find some teacher (non-formal education)..

Technically, what is a school? It is just a formal education place where everyone MUST learn at the same speed and at the same pace. A place where if you learn faster than everyone will equate wasting your time and a place where some teachers will scold you for knowing more than they know. Also a place where slow learners waste the groups time by being left behind and being feed by special classes since the class he belongs will have a hard time to progress on the normal way.

There is also a long existing school that existed long before the dinosaurs died, and this is peer learning by passing information back and forth to a newbie from an advance level person or even a master. The same schooling which saves man from extinction... and come to think of it, a teacher is also doing this at school with a fee of course ;D.. To PRESS this thing more, I am schooled at engineering and computer designs and yet I am more skilled than network engineers from companies where I have been and also more skilled than the nurses that is available at the clinic and company hospital and i never received any formal schooling to this 2 fields..

Asta existed to give out people that have almost no knowledge to a topic including newbies to seek answers from posted questions and can post questions. And forgive if this will turn out rude.. someone that claims that a third person is unjust and can't figure out where that person pulled judgement makes me laugh at times.. and what makes me laugh more are those people that agreed without asking the person in question on what his basis for scolding and the most fun of it, the reply was almost 1 year apart..

29 years old,  Malecalgary alebrta canadaBorn Mar-11-1981hello i am doug i am from calgary ab canada i am am new to the server and i am a computer tech by trad i lived in calgary all my life i been in computers all my life sice i was very little and i have been helping people out for a long time anyone needs help post me and talk i am also a beta testter and i am on the new windows 7 and it is awsome u will all enjoy for the people that do not like it it is good you just have to be into the new techNICE to meet you mel and have a grate day or night

does not look like a child... and searching his post for a background on how he thinks is free.. :D

if i don't like the forum, i simply leave and no posting like " i know a lot but wont post anything since i don't like this 'person'".. if you really want to help, just post and ignore the person that annoy you.

I would look though the forums for 8ennetts tutorial its a great tutorial really eaasy to follow its a piece of cake and its free insted of paying for that rubbish mccodes which is full of bugs expensive and a waste of money its impossible to follow it does not help you learn ANYTHING at all it's a pile of .... so don't even attempt MCCODES other wise your gonna be pissed of with your self for wasting your money on something that just will not help you AT all trust me i have tried V2 the most expensive and i haven't got any further until im now following 8ennetts tutorial and its so fun and easy to learn and im getting a decent game out of it in my own style !hope this helps

Notice from Yordan:
Please avoid double-posting. Even if you love 8ennet's tutorial, say it only once.