xisto Community
Omkar™

Wlan:ad-hoc Setup On Windows XP Pro SP2

Can anyone please help me out in setting up a Wireless LAN Network on Ad-Hoc (Peer-to-Peer) with the following scenario?

I have a Broadband Internet Connection via Ethernet to my Desktop. Its comes in directly from a DSL modem & doesn't have a router.

Both my Desktop & Laptop have WLAN radios. (And they're very much tried & tested!)

Both have Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2.

Here is what I need to do:

Connect wirelessly between my desktop & the laptop AND share the Internet connection among them.

I do not have a wireless Gateway/Router, so it'd have to be peer-to-peer.

The usability should be such that when I have my desktop working and connected to the Internet, the laptop should connect wirelessly later, and use the Internet Connection.

Can you please explain me how to achieve this using either Windows® Zero Configuration Wireless Settings, or by any third-party software.

I don't think this is possible. I have tried to do something similar in the past (the other way around actually from what you wanted here) and still can't find an answer to it. I'm not sure if you can "bridge" the connection and have them connect with both cable and wireless...I know you said you want to do it without a router, but why don't you get a router? Is there a good reason because the prices have dropped a lot and it will be very easy to set it up for both internet and file sharing between the desktop and laptop.

I have tried to connect two devices (on desktop/laptop) like you are suggesting and it didn't work at all. I just couldn't get them to connect. But i think i have found a solution.

I found these steps on a microsoft website. I'm just giving it to you simply, but if you want to have a look at this site (with screenshots) its from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Though, my first step in trying would be to change the wireless device so that it will only connect to ad-hoc networks. (You dont have to do this step if you dont want to) You can do this from the Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections > Select your device, right click, properties > Wireless Networks > Advanced, then select computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) networks only.

1. Goto your network connections (Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections)

2. Open the properties for your device

3. Click 'Add' under preferred networks

4. Fill in SSID (network name), untick the 'key is automatically provided for me' option and type the network keys (make some up that you will need later), and tick the ad-hoc network option at the bottom

5. Hit OK on both the property dialogs.

NOTE: This is a quick overview that was compiled from the above website! :)

You should have now made your wireless network, go to your other computer, fire up the wireless device and search for networks. you should now see the network you just made! Click connect, type in the network keys when requested, and you should be going!

As to the Internet Connection. Set up the first computer (im assuming the desktop, the one that already has the internet connection) to share its internet connection and your laptop should now be able to connect to the internet!

Good Luck, hopefully it all works. :ph34r:

-jimmy

Hey, Jimmy89, that article was really helpful (keeping aside the childish methods Microsoft uses to convince their users! :) ) Well, I did exactly what it said, and hurray! I got the 2 computers to see each other and connect wirelessly! Here's what happens-

Both computers are connected to the same Wireless Network (Ad-Hoc), with an automatically assigned Private IP address (It takes a while for 'Acquiring Network Address').

I've checked the 'Share Internet Connection' on my desktop for the Wireless connection.

Now is that all? I mean they're connected BUT :ph34r: on both computers, the received packets seem to be 0! (Damn!)

Another thing, I have one Ethernet card for my desktop and I connect to my broadband through this card. While activating ICS, I selected this LAN to share. Now, help me out if i appear a bit confused, but there's just one LAN port and I cannot select my Broadband connection to share with ICS. It works only with LAN connections. So do I have to do something more?!

And yes, the fact remains, that I cannot use the Internet via the laptop!

Firstly, congratulations on being able to get the computers to connect!If the connection says that its working, then hopefully it is! If you have shared folders, which XP automatically does check those. Goto My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers (both computers should have the same workgroup) and look for the other computer, click on the computer to view shares.To share the Internet - The broadband is connected via the Local Area Network (LAN) Card. Because it is, you want to share this connection. This is the connection to the Internet, even though it is called the LAN connection. everything that goes through that connection is to and from the internet!depending on the internet browser you are using, you want to set that browser up to automatically detect the connection. this should hopefully allow you to use the Internet on the laptophopefully this sorts it out for you-jimmy

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

Firstly, congratulations on being able to get the computers to connect!
If the connection says that its working, then hopefully it is! If you have shared folders, which XP automatically does check those. Goto My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers (both computers should have the same workgroup) and look for the other computer, click on the computer to view shares.

To share the Internet - The broadband is connected via the Local Area Network (LAN) Card. Because it is, you want to share this connection. This is the connection to the Internet, even though it is called the LAN connection. everything that goes through that connection is to and from the internet!

depending on the internet browser you are using, you want to set that browser up to automatically detect the connection. this should hopefully allow you to use the Internet on the laptop

hopefully this sorts it out for you
-jimmy

I am having exactly the same problem. I initially used a wireless router, which allowed both PC's to access the internet. However, I use a VPN connection on my desktop to access my work LAN, and I couldn't get this to work through a router at home. I then tried implementing an ad-hoc network and although both compters can see each other and share peripherals, the laptop cannot access the internet through the desktop.

I have checked Microsoft's recommendations at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ but I still can't get internet access on the laptop. Any further ideas?