xisto Community
SilverFox1405241541

A Logical Arguement For The Legalization Of Marijuana

Lots of people I know support the idea of legalized marijuana, however many fail to give a logical argument for it.

I don't support or oppose it per se. But I will provide an argument for it. I want to first state that I am not a spectator to the effects of marijuana; my sisters have both been addicted to it and one has really been f**ked up economically due to it. My Father has been plagued with drug abuse and alcoholism and I've been addicted to pills before; so I know the effects of these drugs on over all society. I'm not a Politician looking from the outside in. I've lived in the Drug Lord ruled neighborhoods and seen people get shot, when I was little I lived at the heart of the early 90s gang wars that swept Texas, I'm still traumatized from it and I can see how my behavior is effected even years later.

A large amount of crime in America is due to illegal drug use. Be it theft (used to support the addiction financially), violent crimes (as punishment/gang relations), prostitution (same reasons as theft), money laundering and other offenses. In parts of the US; Texas and New Mexico in particular, Marijuana is the main drug fueling this. Marijuana is the one I shall speak about, its the only illicit drug that can possibly be solved by legalization, as the effects of others (speed, heroin, cocaine, LSD) are too dangerous per se to be legalized.

If Marijuana was legalized the amount of violent gang related crime would fall dramatically, as would theft and other petty crime. In San Antonio Texas, in just 2 months the amount of drug-gang related murders was numbered at 8 and rising. Drugs are both fuel and are fueled by poverty, the war on poverty and war on drugs are both related; one most be removed before the other can be cured/worked on (marijuana would be easier to resolve than poverty at large because that is impossible [resolving poverty totally]).

So we can state that legalization of marijuana would mean:

Less violent crime

Less property related crime

Less organized crime power

Possibly better economical situation for addicts due to lower prices, but that's a maybe.

So we wonder, with all the benefits why its not legalized; that could be due to the following:

It is safe to say and even clear to see that there are corrupt officials in with the drug lords;

That the corrupt officials and drug lords profit off this

Legalizing marijuana would be viciously fought by organized crime

Many people do not see the effects that drugs such as marijuana have on all over crime

Prisons would be almost empty, there would be much less income for local governments.

Its safe to say that while other parts of the nation are plagued by other drugs, that the 2nd largest state in both area and population would, in all probability, benefit greatly off marijuana being legalized.

You may or may not realized the corruption in government; that does not change what goes on in the streets.

Well I don't use the drug (although I did periodically when I was younger), but I don't see why it isn't legal.Alcohol and tobacco are both more dangerous than marijuana and they are legal. So much tax money goes into keeping people in prison on marijuana-related charges. Some of the prisons out here are full from thesetype of crimes. People are going to use it whether it is legal or not. Not far from where I live, in West Hollywood, they have legalized marijuana in small amounts. Although this decision conflicts with federal law, the police can now focus on less-trivial crimes. It doesn't seem like there have been any major problems with this and I know that other cities like (I think Denver) are doing the same.

As for federal law I'd say its fully within the State's rights to legislate in-state grown marijuana.

Are you saying that it should be their right or that they currently have that right? The last time I checked, I think that technically it is against federal law to grow or
be in possession of marijuana. I personally think that it should be handled by the state.

I am saying that one could interpt the 10th amendmant to allow states to legalized marijuana regardless of federal law, provided such marijuana is grown within the state and only used within the state, otherwise it'd be interstate commerce and subject to federal law.

how could somebody allow such a destructive plant to grow in their fields. amsterdam is enoughI would suggest not to add one. there is not a single case where using marijuana is usefull evenif they say that it is healing kinda plant but the point is that it is addictive and any kind of a destructive addictive stuff is bad

how could somebody allow such a destructive plant to grow in their fields. amsterdam is enoughI would suggest not to add one. there is not a single case where using marijuana is usefull even
if they say that it is healing kinda plant but the point is that it is addictive and any kind of a
destructive addictive stuff is bad

Did you not read my post? Do you not see that illegal marijuanas leads to other crimes? That it leads to theft, murder and violent crimes? That it it was legal the damage might be lessened? Or did you just see the title and respond. Also on the flip side of the coin look at alcohol. You like many people only see the effect of marijuana to the individual user and not to society as a whole.
Edited by SilverFox (see edit history)

Alcohol, though legal is just as destructive as marajuana. I am a recovering alcoholic and addict. Being in support groups, you hear alot of terrible things that are associated with alcohol. But, on the other hand, you don't see many addicts coming in complaining how marajuana ruined their lives. It is usually the other drugs out there that are so destructive. I'm not saying that nothing bad will happen by using marajuana, it is just not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

The reason there aren't support group for marijuana addicts? They'd all get arrested. I think that marijuana by itself isn't as destructive as alchoal can be, but there are variations. Marijuana with the illegal organized crime that goes with it is a serious threat to society.Btw good job on working overcoming alcoholism, your wife (if you have one) and children (if you have any) will thank you I am sure.

I've never used marijuana or any illegal drugs, and never plan to, but I think it should be legalized for all of the reasons SilverFox stated along with a few related ones. First, like foolakadugie said, they put a lot of tax money towards keeping people in jail for drug charges (especially in NY, with the Rockefeller laws), in addition to money and police time enforcing the laws, the lawyers, etc. All that money could be put to far better use, like education (perhaps educating people about the dangers of marijuana, instead of sticking posters up telling people it's illegal as though they didn't already know). Also, if it was legal, it could be taxed, like cigarettes. Additionally, if it was legal, high school teachers wouldn't be expected to teach about how long you'll spend in jail if you do it, they could teach about the health effects of it (teaching about health in health class, crazy, no?). People who are addicted to it aren't very likely to seek help if they know they could go to jail for 20 years of their life because of it, if marijuana were considered the same way cigarettes are, it'd be much different.

A couple things I'll add, first of all the main reason I'm surprised it's illegal is that as you've said it's no worse then alcohol. Meaning they have a fairly easy way that they could create a new, highly lucrative TAXABLE market. It confuses me whenever the governments don't jump at a chance to make a little cash through new taxes haha.As far as the addiction aspect to it I mean, I'm not saying being addicted to it is fake, or anything of that nature. But it is not chemically addicting as far as I know, same with alcohol. It's like getting addicted to gambling or sex or any of the other addicting activities. If people don't have it to be addicted to they'll find something else (a lot of the time) as these people have addictive personalities. Again this is not to make light of the situation I'm just saying keeping this one substance off the streets (or trying to) doesn't seem like it'll change anything to me when there are so many other legal; and many other illegal addictive options. Not that people with these personality types would actively search for an addiction, just that people are likely to come upon one or the other eventually regardless.But yes, in the end I'd say I'm for the legalization of marijuana. Sure put some restrictions on it or whatever, but overall let er fly. I haven't tried it but honestly I want to but probably wouldn't excluding if it became legalized. moreso because I dont want to try badly enough to risk it haha. My home town was basically one big grow op so I'm surprised I haven't tried it at some point or another, but I digress.Legalize it. Tax it. Save money, make money, let police focus on bigger things, etc.

Making it legal would be plain stupid.If you think the majority of anyone that touches that drug takes it right from the properly and naturaly grown plant your really kidding yourself.First of all, most addicts use *spin*, which is tobacco (so tobacco and pot, not just pot), therefore tobacco would not be worse if they have both lmao.People rarely smoke untainted pot, most of it has been modified in some fashion and is no where near as healthy or safe as properly natural grown plant.And chances are if they smoke pot, they smoke tobacco and cigarettes as well (not all but many).Or at least it seems to be the case here in NSW of AU (and Iv'e lived in many areas all around these types).So to answer your question, no, because most of them combined something just as if not more dangerous with it's use, therefore it is not more beneficial.

If it were my call I'd say legalize it and tax the hell out of it. Use the revenue from the tax to clean up other taxes we have to pay or fill in spots in the budget.Marijuana is no more addictive than cigarettes...I watched my girlfriend quit those, it wasn't pretty. Since the state sells cigarettes and profits from the taxes, why not do it with marijuana also?The thing with states individually legislating this is that it would get nailed by a line-item on a federal bill; same way seatbelt laws magically appeared in every state for a highway funding bill.

Chesso if everyone is using tainted weed why not legalize it so there can be regulations placed over the production/sale of it ensuring a certain purity level so that people are, in fact, smoking clean weed? Just food for thought