xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dhanesh1405241511

.net Framework Backward Compatibility ?

If i made an application in VB .NET 2005 would i be able to open the compiled EXE on a computer NOT having VB .NET 2005 ? Do i need Framework 2.0 installed to open any application i make in VB 2005 ?If i use the Windows SDK for Vista that had Framework 3.0 would i be able to open it on a computer that has Framework 1.1 installed ? In short, is my application compatible on computers that have no Framework 2.0 or 3.0 installed ? If not then other than installing Framework 2.0 or 3.0, how would i be able to run my applications.The reason i am asking this is that i created a test application in VB 2005 and it worked fine on mine (compilation and running the EXE directly from the bin folder .. both), i took the EXE file in the bin folder to my faculty's computer who had VB 2003 installed, and it didnt work there. It showed an error box with lots of text (didnt quiet bother reading), I'll post what exactly it was, but if anyone got what i am trying to explain here .. i would be happy to hear your solution to this problem of mine.RegardsDhanesh.

If you want to run a application developed in VS.NET 2005 then you'll need .NET 2.0 and above installed in the system to run the application.

If you want to run a application developed using .NET 3.0 then you've to have the .NET 3 framework installed in Windows XP or Windows 2003 systems. You can also run them in Windows Vista.

The .NET framework is backward compatible, i.e. you can use a function used in .NET 1 in 2 or you can compile and run a program developed in .NET 1 in system with .NET 2 and .NET 3. Like wise you can also run programs developed in .NET 2 in system with .NET 3. This is called as Backward compatibility, i.e. support for previous versions.

Where as you cannot run a program developed in .NET 2 in a system with .NET 1 or a program developed in .NET 3 in a system with . NET 2.

Hope this will clear your doubts and solve your problems. :ph34r:

Edited by livingston (see edit history)