xisto Community
demolaynyc

Lvp Help W/ C++

I'm currently taking a C++ class in school and we use Lawrence Ville Press books for C++. The IDE we are using is Visual C++ (VC96). Now at home, I'm using Dev-C++ as my IDE because it's free. The problem occurs when I have to use Libraries by LVP.I downloaded all the LVP libraries to my computer and included the libraries I needed to my source code. However, unlike Visual C++, it won't let me use it. I always end up with the compiler telling me that the libraries in LVP have errors in it. All the syntax in my source code is good but not the libraries.What's wrong with this IDE?Should I change the compiler?

I'm currently taking a C++ class in school and we use Lawrence Ville Press books for C++. The IDE we are using is Visual C++ (VC96). Now at home, I'm using Dev-C++ as my IDE because it's free. The problem occurs when I have to use Libraries by LVP.
I downloaded all the LVP libraries to my computer and included the libraries I needed to my source code. However, unlike Visual C++, it won't let me use it. I always end up with the compiler telling me that the libraries in LVP have errors in it. All the syntax in my source code is good but not the libraries.

What's wrong with this IDE?
Should I change the compiler?

I think that LVP's library is dependent on VC98's library. VC98 comes with quite a lot of library. Dev-C++'s library might have been a more general one, since VC98's library is targeting MS Windows specifically. You can try get hold of the library in VC98, but you'll face licensing issues. Or you can list the library that has error, then maybe i can help find a few library that you need from VC98

Well, basically all the libraries under the "LVP" directory causes the errors. In Dev-C++, it requires me to use <iostream> rather than <iostream.h>Dev-C++ is different from Visual C++ 6 (an older version)in Dev, I have to use "using namespaces std;" and "system("pause")" while VC doesn'tIs there a reason why this is?

Seems like it. Anyway, i'm not a C++ pro here. Maybe wait for others to reply to you regarding this. Anyone else have an idea on this?

It's possible these libraries make use of things that are quite specific to Visual C++.MFC for example is VC specific and cannot be used or passed over to IDE/Compiler combo's like Dev-CPP with MingW.I use Dev-CPP myself for building dynamic link libraries for my Delphi application.The best your really going to be able to do is find library's for Dev-CPP that are similar to the ones you use (you will of course have to take a different approach more than likely).It is possible though that these libraries simply have minor code compatibility problems, but I am not familiar with them so I can't really help with that particular part.Out of curiosity, what sort of errors do you recieve when you try to compile?