xisto Community
swinkid

Which Operating System Is Better? Its a poll

Witch operating system is better?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Welcome to Xisto.This is way too general. Better in terms of what? Security, stability, performance, etc.?I would have to go with Windows XP since I'm a Windows user for as long as I remember. I admit that it isn't the most secure Operating System out there but if you are a better than average computer user, you should know how to protect your computer from infections. The reason I didn't choose Windows Vista is because it's still new and I'm sure there will be bugs to be worked out, just like when XP first came out.I think each Operating System has their own strengths and weaknesses. Mac for most people are used more for graphical editing, although I still think the PC can compare with them. Linux is open source so basically there's always room for "creativity" and users can fix or recreate anything they don't like in it without having the Operating System programmers do it.

I would have to go with Linux, as Linux is free, quite stable (depending on the distro), has increasing amounts of available software, and can network easily with most other OS's. Linux can read Windows' hard-drive partitions, but not visa versa (I've had some trouble with that). Linux is very customizable, allowing the user to choose different desktop environments (not just themes like in Windows, but a completely different look and feel). The one set-back is that it is not widely accepted or funded. Windows already has a captive audience that is not often willing to try something new. I know many happy Linux users that have tried many different versions of Linux and that swear by their particular flavor.With Ubuntu (what I use now), Linux is MUCH more accessible to the average user, allowing the advanced user to customize it while allowing the basic user to merely use it.It all chalks up to preference: whether you like a guaranteed solution that everyone uses, or whether you'd like to branch out a little and try something that you may like even more. I've branched out, and I have enjoyed the results.

I have to choose Linux. Even though I have used Windows for years, i still like my Linux computer at home! As beatgammit said, i have to agree with him, its stable, very easily customizable. You can do whatever you want on it, change it, play with it - whatever you feel like. And, if you want to run Windows Apps on Linux, WINE is the best software. You wont find anything alike to run Linux Apps on Windows!Because most (i think all) computers that are purchased from retailers are pre-installed with Windows, most people use it. And most common folk (which most of this community isn't) wont want to venture out into the unknown, all they know is windows and how to use it, they don't want to experiment! Linux is a great alternative.-jimmy

I have to fall into the linux boat as well. While I use my computer in windows xp more then linux, and use the windows comps at school more often then linux, the time I spend on linux is always more enjoyable to me then windows. Frankly I spend time in windows more only because certain applications I use for my studies are very unreliable at best when run under a linux environment but for everyday use (web browsing, text editing, emails, music, video, etc) linux is just a smoother experience. Add in that its free and can look almost, if not as, cool as vista and you have a winner.Personally I use Ubuntu currently for linux. Easy, quick, and flexible. Basically its got all the pros and very few cons. I haven't used Vista much but it doesn't seem to offer enough to warrant the change and price tag.

same question, again :ph34r: .Anyway, I tend to change mind sometimes so here's my opinion.I like Vista over XP, as long as it's configured my way (no annoying messages, no security center, no aero, no useless resource eating crap in the background). It's new, so it's not perfect, but I like it because it's more flexible, for networks, battery, ...I've used linux, so I know what it is and as a windows user I can't get used to it. It feels slower, it's not as easy as windows and to be frankly, it's not safer as windows (because I know how to protect it).

im going with XP,vista has to many bugs and cost to much at the moment + the lack of graphics card support and programs that work well on itLinux is good but i dont really like the feel of it and when you decied what one to go for, you probably have worked enough to go and buy windowsi hate apple so i dont like Mac junk

I voted MAC because yes indeedy, I am a weirdo. People talk about the Vista having security holes and bugs...but being the aftermath of Windows XP, I would really think that it's better than Windows XP. Mac was around before Windows. Mac dominated. I still think that Mac's good. I would think that the only reason why Mac isn't popular is because of its lack of universal compatibility. And because it isn't popular, it is expensive. And because it is expensive, many people like myself refuse to buy it. :ph34r:

(By the way, I don't think anybody realised that our friend misspelled which as witch hehehehe.)

In my mind XP is the all around best. I don't know about Vistas and I've never had a MAC or Linux, however I think XP is best for the following

Almost universal program compatibility

Almost all hardware is XP compatible

Excellent Recover tools (System Restore, backup)

Great flexibility in working with memory allocation

Good Graphics

Techs are trained in it

Easy interface

Linux all depends on your version and Mac I guess is good.

i prefer windows over linux because of its simplicity in use and has a good working enviourment while linux is a complex as compared to windows,windows is way good also because a large no. of softwares are compatible with windows as compared to linux and linux though have these problems it is good for security and stability as many virus that hurts windows dont do any harn to linux ,linus is also good for webservers compared to windows hence we can see the majority part of internet hosted on linux servers

I think Windows XP is best because it has a very user friendly enviornment, and security is good. It is easy to find what you are looking for with windows XP, and Microsoft makes Windows easy to use. Also partly because the only other operating system I have ever used is windows 98, rofl. Hope this can help your poll out! -Murtahg

I'm with sliverfox. I've heard too many problems with vista, and I've been using xp for about 3 years now. Mac & Linux I've never used though a friend of mine has a mac and she tells me that it has never given her probs. So I would go with Mac, or XP.

It's Windows XP for me. It's what I have always used. I agree, it could be a little bit better, but I like it okay. I might go for Vista once it reaches the state where all the bugs are gone. I like PX because of all the programs/software thats available for it. I like to personalize my computer, and you find more tools for Windows than Linux or any other operating system. Well, thats my opinion!