xisto Community
eminus

Oracle 10g - Dba Less? Oracles Drive for their new RDBMS

Today Oracle is pushing the idea that if you have an Oracle 10grunning in your company then you could survice without a DBA inyour payrollNow I want your opinion on this thing

I find that hard to belive..just like when MS said that with WinXP companies wouldnt need soo many support staff :ph34r:)As I remember Yordan one of our DB gurus on the forum has already posted about this and how its a really bad idea.

The Oracle dba, like other rdbms dba's, is in charge of starting the database, backing up the database, creating the users, adding tables, modifying tables, implementing new applications.Some years ago, learning how to do this was rather complicated. Typically, a dba needed several weeks training, and several years practice in order to be really performant.Today, Oracle 10g has a lot of very funny features already embedded with the RDBMS.I was rather suprised when I had a database fully overloaded with too many users, the disks were 100busy, only reading. The Oracle perfomance embedded toos suggested automatically that we should create a new index, we did it and the disks went back to 20% busy instead of 100% busy, and the disk response time came back to 10ms insted of 2000ms.So, the new features are really impressive, and very helpful.However, I would not say that you need no dba. If nobody does any backup, nobody knows the table names and how to add new users, the system will simply stop working.For instance, last week I installed a phpbb3 forum with my Oracle 10g database. Of course, the install program asked me the name of the image gallery owner, I went to the Unix machine, logged in as the oracle user and type "grant connect, dba, resource to forumowner identifed by mysecretpassword ;" This kind of things, only a dba can perform it. So, I say that Oracle 10g, like other database systems, need a dba.However, probably, any Linux or Unix administrator, with rather few training, can accept the extra work (for an extra salary if he is smart enough) in order to act as a dba on his system.Anyhow, I still say the same (polytically incorrect) thing : . each Unix/Linux system must have a Unix administrator (usually named root).. each Oracle/mysql/postre database must have a database administrator (usually named dba).RegardsYordan

yup I would agree on that Yordan I think that we DBA's are like oxygen no matter how fitthat thing is it still needs air.I have explored Oracle 10g and its really quiteimpressive, specially with its new feature the recycle bin which is i think is really helpfull.If the work of the DBA is getting easier will thatmean that the salary would also be lesser?

If the work of the DBA is getting easier will thatmean that the salary would also be lesser?

Not really. Simply, some years ago, being a dba needed a lot of efforts, so nobody could pay the correspondig salary.
Now, simply knowing a little bit Unix and some Oracle commands, you can become a dba. So, you can get the job immediately, instead of waiting until you get skilled.
Of course, after several years you will become more and more skilled, you will ask for more and more salary (because you will start add clusters, or you will start optimizing).
So, the more things you can do, the more necessary you will be for your company.

yeah maybe it depends on the country you are in..because in my skill level I can clone, add cluster,optimized the database a bit but still my salary isso small hehehe....they say that in other countriesbeing a dba they can earn my monthly salary in just a day...

they say that in other countries being a dba they can earn my monthly salary in just a day...

Of course, a dba will earn your money in less than a day. And just for eating this dba will spend your salary in less than a day too...
The best thing is just to see how much money you need for eating in a restaurant (here, about 20 euros you have almost nothing), how much your house will cost, and then see if your salary is enought for giving you food and lodgement.

However, i know, the most skilled you are, the most your boss is needing you. And, of course, in a perfect world, the most your boss needs you, the most he will want to pay you.

By the way, I am a dba, and I am not paid more than my collegues who are not dba's. Simply, during a database project startup, they need a dba, so people are kind with me.

yup just what i have stated, we DBA's are like air. people who needs us dont noticeus until they ran out of us. we are always on the background waiting for somethingto happen. though as busy as we are like dealing with grants,optimizing sql and stuffsstill they dont notice us. which is also a good part (",)

Today Oracle is pushing the idea that if you have an Oracle 10grunning in your company then you could survice without a DBA in
your payroll

Now I want your opinion on this thing

I don't beleive that, in my opinnion I think that is always necesary to count with a DBA in any company, not only for companies running Oracle also this applies to all the others rdbms that exists -MySql, SQL Server, etc-, because of all the technical stuff and database knowledge these people have.

Best regards,

i Think this would not be possible as there would always be times when days are gray and server errors occur.what they are pushing i think is an easier and manageable way in adminstering oracle databases.