xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ginginca

Attn Game Programmers MUSIC

Where do you get your music files and what kind of music do you look for, for your game development? (file length, format etc.)I'm asking because I'm launching a royalty-free music site. This is a research question.

Real game programmers have access to sound artists in their team. I'm not sure what kind of game programmers you're looking for, but it is evident from credits on all kind of games that at least one person is responsible for creating the music.

Format isn't a problem as it can be converted, and the preference changes on which engine used. The mark of quality is more important. The longer the background music, the better. Music has to fit the atmosphere and many flash programmers take existing music from a popular game in that genre, for example adventure games will lean towards Zelda for example.

If the music is subtle (not drawing too much attention, it's background after all) that's a bonus point.

Real game programmers have access to sound artists in their team. I'm not sure what kind of game programmers you're looking for, but it is evident from credits on all kind of games that at least one person is responsible for creating the music.

Format isn't a problem as it can be converted, and the preference changes on which engine used. The mark of quality is more important. The longer the background music, the better. Music has to fit the atmosphere and many flash programmers take existing music from a popular game in that genre, for example adventure games will lean towards Zelda for example.

If the music is subtle (not drawing too much attention, it's background after all) that's a bonus point.

Thanks Alegis. Is Zelda a game? (Sorry I'm not a gamer myself - don't have the time for it.)

Do you create games yourself?

Gin

I have a few friends who are excellent at composing who do most of the music for the games I make. But if there was a royalty free site where I could get music, that would be awesome!

I compose my own scores for my games... and honestly I think it would only be the low budget games that would use such a resource...However... there's a whole lot of "musicians" - who I'd rather call "LOOP MONKEYS" that wouldn't mind coming across a little bit of royalty free music to cut up and mash with some beats...