xisto Community
Chesso

Flash 8/actionscript 2, Platform Game (little Help).

Hello, I have been following along with the tutorial here:

https://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/platform_game.htm

I am basically at the point of having the ball/character fall onto the blocks within the ground/platform movie clip, movie left and right, jump up and down etc.

So far this is all very good, except for one very annoying thing lol, which has pretty much halted me from continuing any further (heck I even tried searching google for the lats couple of hours but can't find any relevant hits to my specific case).

If anyone has followed this, understands it's method of play and collision detection or has followed this before will more than likely know my problem, which is:

When the ball/character jumps/falls onto a block, the collision detection is quite random, sometimes it falls a bit too far above, sometimes exact, sometimes inside (I move the balls movie clip point upward so the crosshair was below the image for somewhat better detection).

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I know I could create singular platformed objects and test them individually using the old basic co-ordinate checks, but being able to have multiple platforms of the same type all sitting in the same movie clip and all subject to the exact same collision call is extremely usefull and removes alot of bloated code.

Any help is greatly appreciated! ;).

Hello, I have been following along with the tutorial here:
https://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/platform_game.htm

I am basically at the point of having the ball/character fall onto the blocks within the ground/platform movie clip, movie left and right, jump up and down etc.

So far this is all very good, except for one very annoying thing lol, which has pretty much halted me from continuing any further (heck I even tried searching google for the lats couple of hours but can't find any relevant hits to my specific case).

If anyone has followed this, understands it's method of play and collision detection or has followed this before will more than likely know my problem, which is:

When the ball/character jumps/falls onto a block, the collision detection is quite random, sometimes it falls a bit too far above, sometimes exact, sometimes inside (I move the balls movie clip point upward so the crosshair was below the image for somewhat better detection).

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I know I could create singular platformed objects and test them individually using the old basic co-ordinate checks, but being able to have multiple platforms of the same type all sitting in the same movie clip and all subject to the exact same collision call is extremely usefull and removes alot of bloated code.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :ph34r:.

You should slow down the gravity speed and speed up the fps. To change the frame speed just right click and change the properties.

Yeah of course, I always have it at 30 FPS.I'm familiar with Object Pascal/DirectX programming so I'm not new to concept such as frames per second, depth, collision detection, enemy AI etc.Mostly just grasping how flash and actionscript goes about things.

was following that tutorial for a while, but then the code he gave me had unexpected errors.I pasted the exact code over and over again, but it always had a syntax error.do I need to get a new flash program?

I have seen that tutorial before, but I have not analyzed how the code is structured... But the way that I make sure that things stop on the places that I want it to is to basically check if the object will pass the point which I wish for it to stop at, if it does I make it go directly to the place which I want it to... So what I do is create an if with the calculation, yes, I know it's a bit redundant but it works better than adjusting fps values and such... Here is an example:If(ourCharacter._x-walkSpeed < 0){ ourCharacter._x=0;}It could probably be used in conjunction with hittests... Just a question of trying it out.

Answer

Well my conclusion is that it is a glitch. If you notice on the game hes made even that has collision detection problems. Youve made no mistake its just not a very good way to make the game. Soz who made it but it isnt.

-reply by rosssss

Change path of Shared Object

Can anybody tell me how to change the path of shared object default path to any D or E drive..

E.G : Default path like

C:Documents and SettingsTempNameApplication DataMacromediaFlash Player#SharedObjectsD8F43EBDlocalhostTempFlash1.Swf

to

D:Sample

Plse reply

Thank you

-question by Harish