xisto Community
sher

Need Info On Database Programming Courses Oracle Database Programming

I know Database Programming on MS-ACCESS, now i am planning to go for some other Database Programming courses, People told me to go for Oracle or VisualAge.Can anyone told me to start with which one and how long is the course period and which one is easy and is it similar to ms access or somthig different.

I know Database Programming on MS-ACCESS, now i am planning to go for some other Database Programming courses, People told me to go for Oracle or VisualAge.
Can anyone told me to start with which one and how long is the course period and which one is easy and is it similar to ms access or somthig different.

Actually which database programming is not important. Since most of them are SQL92 or higher compliant, basic operation like SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE is the same. Even the extra condition are mostly the same like WHERE, INNER JOIN, ORDER BY, GROUP BY and so on.

What's more important is your target application and platform. If you're fresh grads, then maybe you should look at what kind of job you're going into, or the demand of your current job. If you're doing this for hobby, and more likely to use it for web application, then I'll recommend MySQL or ProstgreSQL. Since they're the most widely use SQL databases. For personal use, you can save your total cost of ownership.

Other than that, you might want to look at
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

for a list of comparison. You can see which one suite your need better.

Be careful here...SQL is not all there is to Database programming...there's the native procedure support, like T-SQL in SQL Server and PL/SQL in Oracle.As for MySQL and PostgreSQL being the most widely used...I'd disagree there. With around 45% of the market share, Oracle is still in the lead on that one.From a TCO perspective, if you're just learning, Oracle has the "personal edition" and SQL Server has the "SQL Server Express" products, both available free, though you cannot redistribute Oracle's personal edition.From an employability perspective, being an expert Oracle DBA will pay HUGE dividends in the future, especially if you get yourself certified. Expert DBA's for Oracle are in huge demand right now, because so many large enterprise shops (read: lots of disposable cash) are on Oracle and need people to keep their database running efficiently.Now, all those facts aside...I personally prefer MySQL for most small projects, but it doesn't scale when you have terabytes of data to work with. I'd go with either Oracle or SQL Server on that one, but I lean towards Oracle since SQL Server requires Windows.