xisto Community
demolaynyc

Adobe Flex 2: Anyone Use It?

Recently I came over the adobe site and found a product I've been passing by and ignoring. It turns out that Flex 2 is a pretty good web application and has an attractive GUI for the "unartistic" developer (such as myself). The thing I'm worried about is that because it's on a flash engine, how can you achieve live results when making requests to the server and back?Right now I'm relying on AJAX to achieve fast results when I make requests to servers and back. I think I should stay where I am because to me, Flash is behind other languages. I used to think not but when I got to know that Client-side scripting is able to connect to server-side scripting in an instant via AJAX, I just fell in love with it.So what are your thoughts about Adobe Flex 2?

I don't know much about Flex 2, but I know a little about the concepts behind Flash vs. Javascript. Although Flash and Javascript are both run client side, they were designed for, and should serve, different purposes. Flash was designed for animation on webpages, and javascript was designed primarily for data handling, and that is how it should remain. One of the issues I have with flash is how it breaks common functionality, such as the ability to travel back and forth with ease between things that seem to be separate pages, the ability to save images, etc. Javascript however, would require too much ugly code to do movie-style animations and games. AJAX was designed primarily to transfer data regarding changeable small content, such as most recent newsposts, and CSS style data. It was not designed to pass back and forth images and the like, although it can do that. As far as connecting to the remote server for data transfer, that depends almost as much on the server for passing data back through the respective applications (I use php scripts for AJAX) and the flash actionscript and javascript code themselves as it does on any difference between the two.~Viz

Well I started getting into Flex 3 late last year when I first heard about it in this Adobe user group and soon I got my free copy thanks to my student status, and the rest is history. I practically seen every book and website about this platform, I even finished write 3 tutorials on how to create a flex form as well so it should be interesting what kind of comments I get and I hope to get more into later on as well.

how to add favicon in flexAdobe Flex 2: Anyone Use It?

hi friends,

I am new for flex .Can u help me by answer this question,how to add favicon(icon in address bar) in flex application.

-reply by mani