xisto Community
vizor

System + Tv

Hi.., Hey i need to connect my system with my TV which is a huge screen.ie.., i would like to use my TV as a secondary display apart from my monitor.I didnt have a graphic card or a video out port from my system. I think the only way to have a video out is to buy a graphic card.So which graphic card hold good for my requirement and it should be damn cheap.........since i dont want to spend much in this old one.My sys will support only PCI & AGP.Is there any other way to connect these?Please Help Me!!!!!!!!!

Edited by vizor (see edit history)

What input does your TV support?Assuming if you TV only support analog inputs (SCART, Composite, S-Video, Component, RGB), you'll need a video card that can output at least one of these. If your system already has an video card, all you need is another one maybe a PCI one, if you do no require high performance, since your system is an old system.If you would like a better performance, then you can go for those dual head video card, where one output is VGA, and another is analog. If your area still selling NVIDIA 5x00 series card, it should be a very cheap buy. Even NVIDIA 7300 is also quite cheap nowadays.If your TV support VGA, then it's even easier, since most dual head video card now has 2 VGA output, or 1 VGA and 1 DVI then comes with a DVI to VGA converter, basically meaning you will for sure get 2 VGA

I'd recommend getting a cheaper geforce 7 series card. There will be a price drop soon with the new 8 series cards. Then it should be simple, plug in the output of the video card to the input of the tv assuming that it supports that input type. If it doesn't you can look around and find quite a few input type converters, some types can't be converted but i'm sure most can. -HellFire

Thanks for ur valuable suggestions.....
ya my TV will support only analog signals........if i go for a PCI wat will be the best one u suggest for me???......coz i will use that only to watch some movies.

What input does your TV support?
Assuming if you TV only support analog inputs (SCART, Composite, S-Video, Component, RGB), you'll need a video card that can output at least one of these. If your system already has an video card, all you need is another one maybe a PCI one, if you do no require high performance, since your system is an old system.

If you would like a better performance, then you can go for those dual head video card, where one output is VGA, and another is analog. If your area still selling NVIDIA 5x00 series card, it should be a very cheap buy. Even NVIDIA 7300 is also quite cheap nowadays.

If your TV support VGA, then it's even easier, since most dual head video card now has 2 VGA output, or 1 VGA and 1 DVI then comes with a DVI to VGA converter, basically meaning you will for sure get 2 VGA

Thanks for ur valuable suggestions..... ya my TV will support only analog signals........if i go for a PCI wat will be the best one u suggest for me???......coz i will use that only to watch some movies.

PCI one is kinda obsolete already. You'll need to look for 2nd hand one. Anything with 8MB of video ram should do. If you can find Matrox or ATI Rage, then it's even better.

Either that, replace your existing AGP on for another one with TVOut and with support of dual head. Most of NVidia Geforce2 and above will do.