xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ROFL

.gif Images?

Yea, Anyone Know A Tut. Or Somethin To "Walk Me Through" On how To Make A .Gif Image ;SPaint Programs I Have:Macromedia Fireworks [On Other Computer]Paint.NetGIMPMS Paint [ The Nooby One -.-" ]PS.I Added These So Nobody Would Keep Having To Post "What Paint Program??" A Million Times ;]]

Goto File, Save as. Then save it as a gif. You may also want to use Jpeg's more than gifs because Jpeg can be alot more effiecient in some purposes. But also! Gifs are capable of using transparency. To do the transparency thing, you gotta find the "transparency" box and check it when you save your image in gimp. Also consider getting the trial for Photoshop, makes this all streamline and very easy!

If you just want to do an image, and it is wider than 32x32 than I suggest to use PNG, but if you want to create a Gif Animation, when you can achieve it by using Gimp with the animation package, or how it is called. ;) Also remember that Gif images are 8 bit, you can't have more than 256 colours, the same thing can be done with PNG images, if you want it to be smaller in size (Kbytes) than save it as 8bit, due to than you add more unneeded colours, the image takes more space on your hard drive. ;)

While I also prefer PNG images, it is not always best to use them! For example, if you are making web graphics (which is the only thing I do, actually), always use GIF , because Internet Explorer isn't fully compatible with PNG. This will result in losing transparency and getting different colours from the one you chose. Luckily, GIF images work fine - so you them for web sites.

Someone said that jpeg compression is more efficient than gif, but this is not completely true. Gif images are great for flat color. You can optimize a gif image to let's say 8 colors and it may not look any different than the original and be smaller. I do agree that jpegs are much better for photos or images with gradients. Another thing that I have found to get png transparency to work in IE is if you set the image to be the background of a div or table, the transparency should work.It has worked for me when doing this in the past.

PNG transparency works on IE, but the difference is how you make the transparency, if you do it with an alpha channel, which usually is offered by Gimp, Photoshop and etc. but on older software, like Deluxe Paint, you can make an 8 bit transparent PNG image with the transparency similar to gif, the image takes less space and works fine with most of the browsers. Anyway, if you don't need transparent images, still I prefer to use PNG over Gif, also I try to avoid transparency, but sometimes you can't live without it. ;)

I never use .png images for the same reason as Pyost has pointed out - I do not run XP or IE7, does anyone know if they fixed the .png problem in ie7 yet?

most of the times on the XP and IE7, transparency work.. but sometimes it wont.. no idea what happen..

transparencies in PNG graphics is much nicer compared to the GIF version, that thing that sucks is the support M$ gave to the PNG format.