xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eliments

Image Drives! Check this out

I have used this program and it works great. Easy to use and pretty easy on the computer when it comes to memory usage and whatnot.Silverfox, some people use the program to install applications that they download from torrent sites but that is illegal and not necesarrily what the program was meant to do ;) If you use it as a law abiding person would, it is a great tool!

The tool was created mainly for those who don't want to insert their CDs every time they want to play a game or run some application. This is definitely a big plus for those who go through lots of CDs. Be very careful when you do the installation. If I remember correctly it will have the option to install their WhenU adware search toolbar checked by default. I hated Daemon Tools for this very reason. Any programs that "bundle" these adware/spyware features into their programs go into my blacklist...basically no exceptions. I don't care if they give you an option to install it or not, but that's just opinion. I'm sure they still have lots of users who support them.

I recommend using programs that have no catch in them. If you are using Windows XP (or maybe even Windows 2000), you can install the free virtual CDROM feature for it at:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpvirtualcd.html

Also take a look at :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I have also heard of Daemon Tools, but I prefer using Alcohol 120%. It also has the ability to emulate a wide variety of different imaging formats such ISO, MDS, BWT, CUE etc. The best feature I think it has is the ability to right click on the virtual drive and in the menu, it allows you to choose and image to emulate. It saves times as it does not require the main executable to be opened for you to change the image source.

Alcohol Soft Website:
http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

In response to the legality of images, it should be legal for you to image the CD or DVD for the purpose of personal backups. It is only illegal when you distribute or acquire the images without paying for the game.

Do any of these work with Boot/Distro isos?

You cannot use the Image Drive to Boot the Bootable Distro ISOs. But you can view the contents and copy them.

I was using Alchocol 120% before, now I got the Nero 7 Ultra Edition. It includes an Image Drive that gives us great flexibility, simple to use and consumes less resource.

Looks useful for people that use CD type stuff alot. I, personally, have only used ISO type stuff once or twice, and only pretty recently. It would be a nice way to backup and still be able to use the CD files without buringing them or whatever. It would also be useful for people that download ISO type stuff too. I don't do that (like I said, I've only dealt with ISO-type stuff once or twice), but it would be useful for the people that do.