xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

Linux Needs Windows To Run! Dugg it up on Digg

This is just absolutely L-O-L comedy right here. This is the classic ignorance and computing. Ok, to sum up this loser, he thinks that Linux runs on Windows and so does Mac OS X and OS/2 failed because of Microsoft. Here's one of my favorite paragraphs in one of the earlier posts of this guy:

Linux may seem like a good alternative to Office, but all that is happening in linux is that the windows interface is cleverly hidden away. It still needs the drivers and software services in order to run, and in most cases - that happens WITHOUT a valid windows licence.

Let's point out the flaws, shall we?

Linux is not an "Office" alternative. OpenOffice.org is in that category.

Apparently the Windows GUI is "hidden away" in Linux. If it is, then why do we have KDE, GNOME, and X Window?

It needs drivers and software services to run with a Windows License?? That's funny... I've done just about 100 Linux installations on about every flavor of Linux. Not one of them seemed to require a Windows License.

Also in that early post, he says

Vista will finally put an end to this blatant abuse of intellectual property, and linux should decline, taking the pirates with it.

What?? Has this guy ever used Linux?? It's IMPOSSIBLE to pirate Linux!

One of my favorite paragraphs from his second post:

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Many companies DO sell computers without "a windows". Dell might be the first big OEM to actually offer this option (hopefully).

It clearly is happening... -> Go to Dell's IdeaStorm site... Linux on Dells is the #1 voted item!

Wait... Windows is MORE than Office??

So Windows running a system from start to finish is something very difficult? Maybe for an amature programmer, but it is NOT the case. Look at all the Linux flavors out there!

Really, a lot of people think this is hard? Mass poll time!! How many of you thought that programming a "whole system that runs the computer from start to finish" is very difficult to "acheive"?

Anyways, go get a laugh of it here: http://www.zdnet.com/

[N]F

He sounds pretty dumb, but to say building an Operating System as far as Windows and Linux is only due to incapability of "amatuers" is going a bit far lol.How many single developers can build an OS, let alone something like Windows or Linux, they both have many, many, many, many, manyyyyyy talented and or well payed contributors.

What?? Has this guy ever used Linux?? It's IMPOSSIBLE to pirate Linux!

You don't even need to pirate Linux in the first place.

I think we should send him to the windows' Hell.

He is stupidly ignorant. This make me mad

Heh

It still needs the drivers and software services in order to run, and in most cases - that happens WITHOUT a valid windows licence.

That made me laugh, every computer needs drivers to make it's devices run. How's the computer going to know what language the hardware speaks? Software services too, it is absolutely not just for windows.This guy sounds like a 10 year old kid thats in love with windows, heck vista isn't even that good especially for gaming.

-HellFire

This is funny. Although it is hard to explain to people that there are now 2 opearting systems in general use today: Windows and Unix. (Okay and we won't get into the fact that yes MacOS is a Mach kernel and Linux isn't really Unix, but symanics as far as I'm concerned with the big picture) Everything else falls into those two catagories. I would have loved to see what this person would have said back in the days of VMS and AMIEGA. Piracy is a big issue. I was one of the 50k other kids that had Photoshop et al when I was in college. All pirated of course because we couldn't afford it otherwise. The software industry lets that slide a little since when we get out into the working world guess what we tend to request/buy. Especially true since I'm in the video world. However out here in industry if you get caught using pirated applications you suddenly find yourself blacklisted especially in the videography industry. I do a fair bit of restoration and know kids that tried to do the same thing using pirated software cheaper. Funny, when they graduated and was looking for a job the had to move out of the area because those of us in the community knew what they were doing. It wasn't until I got into the shoes of earning a living via Intellectual property that I gained any respect for the subject.

This is one of those guys who likes to speak having no knowledge about the subject and in fact, he has a very limited knowledge about software and hardware.. which is really funny, due to his imagination is so wide, that the dark holes (things he doesn't know) is filled up with his imagination and "logical" stuff.. Today, when a lot of people can buy a computer and use it, and everything is made that even "stupid" people can use it without any experts makes people even more "stupid", but who cares about that. The main thing is that maybe someday he will "understand" and will find his post with google or on archive.org and will think that he was a LOL ;) I still laugh on IRC #phphelp channels when people say that PHP is a better language than HTML! ;)

Well PHP is better....... sure it results in HTML in the end, but it's the pre-processed part of it that makes it so good (you don't have the option of if clauses and such in pure HTML on it's own), maybe that's what they meant?Anyway, we need to have a laugh somewhere along the lines (the smart ones of us) ;).

Sadly, I wasn't too surprised by this. I have many friends who have not used anything but Windows and thus don't believe there is any other possible way to implement a system. All they see is the GUI and assume that is the Operating System (as most Microsoft OS releases pretty much just change the GUI [well, there ARE others, but seriously, not many]). Apparently he believes that Vista is the "all-knowing high and mighty" Godlike operating system to come and save all mankind.This is part of a bigger trend, which I will term as Micro-ignorant. They believe that Microsoft was the "original" OS, even though Apple beat them to the GUI and IBM gave Microsoft their start, and that nothing can exist except it runs off of the original. They believe that there is only one way to create a "basic" operating system, and that everything must necessarily run off of it. This is analogous to a house; they would believe that the structure of every house is the same, but the placement of the walls and the color theme are the only thing that changes, just like an OS internal (same structure, different interface). The Unix kernel runs on completely different terms than Microsoft's kernel. Pretty much any semi-knowledgeable programmer can rebuild their kernel, and change some minute things in it, but not many can build the whole system from the ground up.Even the fundamental goal of Unix is starkly different from that of Microsoft's. Unix was built as a networking machine, allowing software to be shared across a network ridiculously easily, while Microsoft requires software to be installed on each individual system. Unix innately supports the workspace environment, where people can access their own user-profile anywhere within the work environment, while Microsoft's Windows was built as a personal system, in which multiple users across a network is a little more difficult, and draws everything from a repository. Windows server is trying to change this, but Windows just isn't built for it.Every Unix user would gag at the thought of using Microsoft's kernels in a Unix environment- there is this little thing called self-respect (no offense Microsoft). Unix programmers are constantly searching for the "best" system, the one that runs the best and best integrates open-source software into its environment, while producing maximum protection and hopefully a decent end-user environment (the end-user environment isn't the most important though). Microsoft, on the other hand, wants to make their OS as easy to use, thus reducing security of the system.Hopefully this kid will grow up and stop reading conspiracy theory websites and propaganda from mindless Microsoft proponents.

You don't even need to pirate Linux in the first place.
I think we should send him to the windows' Hell.

He is stupidly ignorant. This make me mad

Yeah... he thought it's piracy when you don't run LINUX without a valid WINDOWS license!

This is one of those guys who likes to speak having no knowledge about the subject and in fact, he has a very limited knowledge about software and hardware.

Yeah, really. He sounds like my old physics teacher before he got fired... he's opening his mouth and he doesn't know what he's saying. Yet something has him convinced that Linux runs off of Windows... :S
[N]F

LOL. This is insane. Personally, when I thought about Mac/other OS's, I wondered what sort of interface they would use because I found the windowed interface to be the only effective one; but I never for a moment thought that it was the "only" way! Once I actually used I Mac, I saw that it had the same sort of idea, but personally, I like it better. It just goes to show that you can't say one system is the "only" and the "best" - I proved that to myself a long time ago.

My 2 cents:Canada / US. Yes a lot of Americans don't know much about Canada especialy since Canadian culture isn't part of the American media. Recently on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" the question was ... what international border that touches the USA is the largest? The host prompted the contestant a bit asking her "which countries touch the USA and to try to visualize the size". Well of course she guessed Mexico.And years ago when we were travelling in PA, an American said "so which side of Canada are you from? The American side? Or the Canadian Side?"Lack of understanding of any subject is common and then people open their mouths. And since computers are now part of our every day lives (for pretty much all of us) people who don't understand things will speak up and their stupidity is apparent. My first PC was an APPLE II+. I've also owned an Atari 1040ST. And my first two PC's ran PC-DOS. And yes most of you guys here know that you can buy a PC without an operating system. (I think it's about $100 less).I run Windows XP on all our systems. This is because we work with clients who use XP. We want to have complete transparancy with what they use, as well as be able to "work with them" when they don't understand. Sometimes the basics like "how do I send you an attachment? or how do I read that PDF?.It's an advantage for us to use XP from that standpoint.I used to have a linux system running a few years ago (when W98 was commonplace) and tried using it as my main desktop. If I didn't have as much interactivity with my clients as I have ... I'm confident to say I would still be doing that today. Win 98 had a lot of issues with "the blue screen of death".I'll wrap this up with a joke.In 1998 people were saying "have you heard about the newest microsoft operating system? ... Mac 85?"