xisto Community
yuhuu

Most Christians Did Not Read The Bible Completely,,is This Sane ? Before telling that you are a christian you should read the bible comp

Is Christianiy true or just another pagan religion,,like some would say..Have you read the bible completely, if yes share with us what did you learnIf you did not read it completely,,could you explain the reasons??

Well I guess you could aim this question with anyone that allies themselves with any religion. My own personal viewpoint is that ALL organised religion is wrong and used as control tool on the "worshippers" some religions leavering this tool more heavy than others.I also think that to say that your "Muslim" or "Catholic" for instance is pretty pointless unless you know a hell of lot about the topic in question, and read the "holy" book of that religion and are putting the views of that book into your daily life and doing everything in your power to live according to the "rules" of that religion. 

Is Christianiy true or just another pagan religion,,like some would say..Have you read the bible completely, if yes share with us what did you learn
If you did not read it completely,,could you explain the reasons??

Have you read the english dictionary? If not, then shall I say that you should not make any more posts because you cannot claim to understand the meaning of english words.

I have not only read the entire Bible but made an in depth study of every part of it while I was at seminary, but I still find your words here to be ridiculous, pompous and offensive.

Do you believe that reading the entire a Bible is a requirement for being a Christian? Is someone who cannot read because of some disability automatically disqualified? If someone reads the whole Bible quickly without really understanding anything, has he fulfilled your requirements? Or is someone with photographic memory a better Christian because He has memorized it all? Just how much of it do you have to remember or understand in order to be a Christian?

All of this is nonsense. This is not what Christianity is about. If you read the Bible 10 times and have memorized every word, it is nothing but filthy rags. Your reading the whole Bible, confers not the slightest bit of authority to your words about what the Bible means. One could read a single passage from the Bible and truly understanding it, receive Christ into his life so that with a personal relationship with the living God, he has gained more understanding of what Christianity is all about than a lifetime of studying the book.
Edited by mitchellmckain (see edit history)

I agree with mitchellmckain, when I saw the topic title, I thought what a ridiculous topic, and the example with English dictionary is very good through.. I personally read the bible, but when I was 10 years old, never read it again, except some parts on the religion lessons.. I learned a lot about history to gather some knowledge and saw some good and bad documentary and movies about it, read a lot about it on forums and talked with some religious people and even was listening to people in the church and also read some third party books which includes some parts of religion, but still I don't call myself a religious person, but I live in a catholic country, I am christen, I passed the first communion (or how you call it in English), I celebrate Christmas and Eastern, I even go to the Church sometimes.. so I think I am a Christian, I can't call myself a Muslim.. In fact, I don't really call myself a catholic or etc., but when someone asks me what religion I am, I reply that I am a Christian, a Catholic.Reading the book won't make you a catholic or religious, it's all in you and yourself, you can go to the church everyday and what will that change if you yourself don't want anything. The worst case in my opinion is when people, for example religious people talk about it to much, well, when it is annoying, when they say that only their opinion is the right one, same with the non religious people, who think that only they are right and talk to much..

people learn their mother language not by memorizing the words of a diccionary..You have your point....but, people learn that language by living in a family. Well in chrisianity I believe (is an apinion, not a truth) that you are called a chrisitian because you follow the way of life that Jesuschrist lived,,,So people see that way of life and they called you a christian..(again that is just a point of view)..Well, that way of life, is very difficult to learn by following any living human being you can see because we all are sinners...So, what is left is to learn about the way of life of Jesuschrist, and for that you have to study and read the bible. Why? Because there you will find all about Jesuschrist..Everything about Him is in there..I can hardly imagine a Christian not having a bible...is like trying to imagine a marine soldier withotu his rifle or like trying to imagine a carpenter without his hammer...What difindes a christian is the life of Jesuschrist, and you learn about Jesuschrist in the bible..There is no other place to learn about Jesuschrist..If you are serious about your faith...soon or late,,you will grab the bible and you will learn..you will obey..then you will know the truth..and then you will be free...is somewhere in the new testament..Cheerrss

Actually the dictionary comparison fails miserably.There is nothing saying that I should believe what is in the dictionary, have faith in it, or learn it. I do not need to read the entire dictionary to know portions of the english language (who actually claims they know it all? or even discusses it).Do religions have that? Then what use are these bibles to religion?You can't follow with a proper understanding if you haven't, can you? Much like half reading any book or only taking in what you like.But then I don't know anyone who claims to follow the dictionary and or english language or know it fully *shrugs*.

Edited by Chesso (see edit history)

Knowing all things about the Bible and reading it completely does not make you a Christian. Although some people seem to think that it is, it's not. The way to become a Christian is accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior do the best we can to live like Him. I myself haven't read the Bible entirely. I even have not finished any of the books in the Bible. But as long as I know that Jesus is my Lord and Savior, and that he lives in me, I am saved. But that knowledge alone should not stop me from reading. I try to find ways to encourage myself to read the Bible by listening to audio verses and other alternatives such as listening to Christian music. These are other ways to learn more about the Word. Reading the whole book is not a must-do to get to heaven.

Well I guess you could aim this question with anyone that allies themselves with any religion. My own personal viewpoint is that ALL organised religion is wrong and used as control tool on the "worshippers" some religions leavering this tool more heavy than others.
I also think that to say that your "Muslim" or "Catholic" for instance is pretty pointless unless you know a hell of lot about the topic in question, and read the "holy" book of that religion and are putting the views of that book into your daily life and doing everything in your power to live according to the "rules" of that religion.

I am VERY insulted by your obvious ignorance. You are a person who hates religion merely for the sake of hating it. I'm sorry, but you are no better than a racist.

A single person may have beliefs, but when many people share those beliefs, it becomes religion, and when this religion creates institutions of worship and learning, it becomes organized. Your ignorant and prejudiced idea that organized religion is merely a control tool is unfounded. Many people share in the beliefs that Christianity has. Certain groups disagree on certain parts, and that is why there are different sects of Christianity. It is the same with Judaism and Islam. Different sects due to slightly different beliefs. I am reform Jewish. I have not finished reading the Torah, and will likely not for some time. Does this make me any less Jewish? No, it does not. My father was born Jewish, and under Reform Judaism, this makes me Jewish. I believe in a great deal of biblical history, though I do not go to synagogue every week. How I follow my religion is up to me, not some ignoramus like you.

Actually the dictionary comparison fails miserably.
There is nothing saying that I should believe what is in the dictionary, have faith in it, or learn it. I do not need to read the entire dictionary to know portions of the english language (who actually claims they know it all? or even discusses it).

Do religions have that? Then what use are these bibles to religion?

You can't follow with a proper understanding if you haven't, can you? Much like half reading any book or only taking in what you like.

But then I don't know anyone who claims to follow the dictionary and or english language or know it fully *shrugs*.

The dictionary comparison works quite well, as your argument is flawed. What requirement do I have to read the entire Torah to discuss it? I have discussed it, which is where most of my information came about from it. These discussions were with people who had read and finished reading the Torah, so obviously the information I gained was accurate.

These bibles to a religion are history and guidelines. The history is the history of one's people. The guidelines are how to live your daily life. More religious people view these guidelines as rules that must be followed.

I'm sorry to point this out, but you two have shown classical ignorance towards what religion is, much as a racist shows ignorance towards people of a different skin colour. You may have your beliefs, but unless you have an understanding of what religion is, which you don't, do not insult us.

I am VERY insulted by your obvious ignorance. You are a person who hates religion merely for the sake of hating it. I'm sorry, but you are no better than a racist.

Erm wtf! im allowed to have my opinion just as much as you are (infact probably more so seeing as I am mod here ;) )..and I prolly know a lot more about religion than most, seeing as I was brought up inside the church and all of my schooling was by monks and nuns, and I used to attend mass twice a day.I also worked for the church as an alter boy for many years and became head alter boy and lay preacher till I was 21.Also in 1982 I actually met the Pope John Paul II when he came to our city when he did a big tour of Europe and he actually bestowed a Knighthood of Columbus on my grandfather and he kissed the Fishermans ring.

Name calling is just a childish response to someone elses viewpoint.
If you carry on..I will take steps to remove your account..you have been warned!!!!

Erm wtf! im allowed to have my opinion just as much as you are (infact probably more so seeing as I am mod here ;) )..and I prolly know a lot more about religion than most, seeing as I was brought up inside the church and all of my schooling was by monks and nuns, and I used to attend mass twice a day.I also worked for the church as an alter boy for many years and became head alter boy and lay preacher till I was 21.Also in 1982 I actually met the Pope John Paul II when he came to our city when he did a big tour of Europe and he actually bestowed a Knighthood of Columbus on my grandfather and he kissed the Fishermans ring.

Name calling is just a childish response to someone elses viewpoint.
If you carry on..I will take steps to remove your account..you have been warned!!!!

I did no name calling. I was highly insulted by what you said, and I stand by what I said. Whether what you say is true or not, and I doubt it to be so, due to your viewpoint, your opinions are similar to those of a racist towards someone of a different skin colour. A racist is entitled to their opinion, does that make them any less a racist? You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make you any less prejudiced towards religion.

Rid, his point was your over reaction to some views that oppose yours.Most people who are to some degree alongside me do not overreact in such a way, we just try to bring other sides along.And frankly the words racist/sexist and discriminate are highly mis-used so be carefull with them.

I'll admit, that I did overreact. I won't take back what I said, however, as prejudice is prejudice, and believe organized religion is wrong is prejudice towards organized religion, just as believing that being a different skin colour is wrong is racism.

@Rid

I'll admit, that I did overreact. I won't take back what I said, however, as prejudice is prejudice, and believe organized religion is wrong is prejudice towards organized religion, just as believing that being a different skin colour is wrong is racism.

Yes you did overreact and twice infact even after receiving a warning about it.And to use your own words against you..

I am VERY insulted by your obvious ignorance.

My views are not racism in any way its called being an Atheist.

Atheism is commonly defined as the positive belief that deities do not exist, or as the deliberate rejection of theism.

And as I mentioned before in my last post I know a LOT about religions having being taught for many years (probably more years than you have actually lived on this planet) about all forms of religion not just the Catholic church, so I probably have a more formed opinion on this subject than you.And after many years of study and reflection on religion I have come to the conclusion that ALL organized religion is wrong - thats my point of view and the point of view of many people on this planet.I do not wish to offend anyone or attack them for their own personal view or beliefs, if your happy with it you live with it.
Nearly every religion teaches tolerance of others and their viewpoints and especially tolerance of other religions something that you are obviously lacking!
I believe in Darwinism in all its forms, I find it VERY hard to believe that someone made the earth and all living things on it I also find it very hard to believe in any kind of miracle, science is the answer not religion!
How many wars have been started over the centuries about Science? Zero is the answer
How many wars have been started about Religion - Nearly every one one so far...

This is what I believe and unless I see direct evidence of the contrary - such as "Jesus" coming back to life or "God" saving all the millions of starving people on this planet and stopping all wars, I will carry on to belive what I believe.

Mark420 ;)

lol, I don't think all wars were fully on the premise of religion, but some certainly used it as an excuse.If these religions teach tolerance of other religions and beliefs..... well just have them take a good look at some in particular, a very BIG conflict of interest there......I don't think it's actually possible to tolerate them all lol.