xisto Community
Chesso

What Does And Doesn't Make A Christian?

Reason I ask is, my misses parents claim to be *religious*, you know *christians* in particular.But what kind of believe of such faith smokes ciggarettes, drinks alcohol, smokes (mary j) and tells there own daughter work in a club (with a theme of wearing next to nothing)........Is that..... iv'e seen this behaviour alot, these kinds of people can't honestly be considered christians can they?

However, there are those who proclaim there are Christians but don't have a close relationship with their Lord.Going to church every Sunday doesn't make the person a Christian. Although he/she can say they're Christian but they are not true Chrisitans.If the parents which you talk of smoke, drink, and they have no remorse or guilty feelings towards it then they must reconsider what the true definition of Christian really is.What makes a Christian is their faith in God.

So you would consider someone not much of a christian, by doing this things without remorese.Obviously if someone has stumbled on addictions, or accidentaly spat out something they normally wouldn't have they can be forgiven. But I have kept my eye on this one for awhile and he really believes that it's ok :|But he doesn't even attempt to defend pot on a level of nature, he defends because it he thinks it feels good and bugger anyone else lol.EDIT: Did I mention he isn't married and has 2 children.... he has a supposed good *excuse* for not wanting to get married *again*......

Edited by Chesso (see edit history)

OK. Where does it say in the Bible (which is the basis for Christianity) that you can't drink? Christians are supposed to follow Christ's teachings, we're supposed to emulate him. And it says he drank wine. So how do you figure drinking is wrong?The definition of a christian can be summed up in what Jesus said: "Love God with all your soul, your heart, your mind. This is the first commandment. And the second is similar. Love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments are based all the laws and the prophets." He also said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." It's the same thing, but expressed more succintly. That is being a Christian. If you're following those rules, you won't steal, you won't lie, you won't cheat, you won't hurt others, because you wouldn't want someone else to do that to you. You love God and keep His rules, which mean you won't do things that harm your body. But even if you do smoke or take drugs, that doesn't mean you're not a Christian. It's just that you're not living up to it. This breaks down into theology, but I believe that once saved, always saved. You can't lose your salvation, no matter how bad you are. But I also believe in a difference between salvation and rewards. You might still be a Christian, and be assured of going to Heaven, but if you've done nothing for God in your life, and you've flaunted all His rules, you'll end up in the basement. As it's put elsewhere in the bible, "in everlasting shame and contempt."Does that answer something, or just add more fuel to the fire? ;)

lol sure ads more fuel to my fire, I understand something that we assume wasn't just made up so long ago can't be specific.....But abusing ones own family and pressuring them to do things against there will, especially selling ones body (would that not be a pretty bad sin), I think that would fall under something lol.

But abusing ones own family and pressuring them to do things against there will, especially selling ones body (would that not be a pretty bad sin), I think that would fall under something lol.

I would definitely agree with you there.

@Grafiti: I know somewhere in the bible it tells you not to drink..I'll find it for you heh.

In what context, though? Still, let's hear it.

Graffiti I agree that we are allowed to drink wine. I know that you know that abusing alcohol is not good for anyone especially Christians. Well Chesso, if this guy is like this then he isn't a true Christian. He may call himself one but he is not.

But see, the point Paul was making is that it's drinking in excess that's wrong.
You also shouldn't drink in front of others if it will stumble someone who does think it's wrong, even if it actually isn't wrong.

ROM.14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense.ROM.14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.
ROM.14:22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
ROM.14:23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

And here Paul advocates it:

1TI.5:23 No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and your frequent infirmities.

As far as what Jesus had to say about it, I don't find anywhere where he specifically said, "go drink wine", but neither is there anything where he says not to. Furthermore, his parables frequently contained references to wine, and his first major miracle was turning the water into wine at the wedding. Why would he have done that if it was wrong to drink it?

To Chesso: I would say that your neighbor is a christian in name only, and like that overused cliche says, Going to church doesn't make you a christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile. But it's true. And since Jesus said, "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one for another" , he doesn't seem to fall into this category. A christian in name, but he makes a mockery of his beliefs by his actions.

Good enough for me.If a man wants to destroy himself with bad habits, even such as myself, fine, but when it starts pushing it's way into anothers life is when I have a problem and apparently so does jesus.Go jesus! lol.

I just want to call him out is all lol.

I hate to see this guy sitting around calling himself a christian with such disgusting beliefs and habits.

Taking a step back and looking at the guy, one starts to ask alot of questions--some to him, of course. If he calls himself a Christian, who is he serving anyway? Drinking, and smoking all serve himself, do they not? They all gratify the flesh, that is, make one feel good. A Chrisitian's body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and look how he is taking care of it! Again, a Christian is supposed to be one that serves Christ. Jesus even said that the two highest commandments were to Love one's neighbor as oneself and everything else hinges on this as well as Loving God with all one's heart and soul. So you see there is a whole lot at stake here. If he loves his daughter, how can he even suggest she become a stripper? If he loves God, why doesn't he stop, or attempt to stop drinking, drugging and smoking?

By his actions, he is saying that he loves himself more than he loves God. By his actions he is serving himself, not God.