xisto Community
Quatrux

Swift Browser Windows webkit based browser

I just made a search for a KHTML based browser on Windows OS and found one project which wasn't updated since 2004 to port KHTML to Windows, but through Wikipedia I found Swift, the current version is 0.2, I just downloaded it and tested and was amazed, that it shows the pages very well, even sometimes they break and the GUI itself needs to be updated, what you want, it is version 0.2! For all the web designers and people using Windows it is a good practice to see how their pages look in Safari and Konqueror, due to Swift is based on Webkit, Safari on MacOS and Webkit is based on KHTML, Konqueror, OmniWeb etc. So I guess we will going to have another browser in our stock for Windows.. the installation is nice and simple, the GUI looks very similar, almost the same, as on PHP Designer!

you can get Swift here: http://redirect.main-hosting.com/error_account_unavailable.php

Swift is a Web Browser for Microsoft Windows based around the WebKit rendering engine. It's extremely fast! Swift is backed behind some hard work by a team of developers.

what good is a beta staged browser for developement ? It of course handy, but it's not realy needed as long as you follow the rules (W3C and all that stuff). Doing a double check in a virtual pc running linux/macos could even be better.But before I digg it deeper in the ground, I'll first test it (after putting my memory back in my pc so I can run my virtualpc again, no more testing on this windows ;) )

if it is faster than opera, and shows everything as IE, I will definitely start using it. Since I understand that is the kind of browser that runs on macs,It is kind of a necessity to use it and to try every web page in that browser..Thanks for the info..I am downloading it, even though it seems to be in beta stage,,I will try it...

Well,,I just wasted 2 hours of my Sunday morning,,trying to find a working download site for Swift,,and there is none..I googlle it out many times with different key words and all would end up in a wiki page,,that does not explain what to do once you have the.msg or .msi extension file...I read the description of the swift in may pages and it seems to be totally different as FF, IE and O,,,It has a different rendering engine,,which gives it a lot of advantages..If there is a kind soul,,It would be appreciated to have a tutorial on how to install Swift...Thank you

Well,,I just wasted 2 hours of my Sunday morning,,trying to find a working download site for Swift,,and there is none..I googlle it out many times with different key words and all would end up in a wiki page,,that does not explain what to do once you have the.msg or .msi extension file...I read the description of the swift in may pages and it seems to be totally different as FF, IE and O,,,It has a different rendering engine,,which gives it a lot of advantages..If there is a kind soul,,It would be appreciated to have a tutorial on how to install Swift...Thank you

This is not to be sarcastic or anything, but are you kidding me? :ph34r: You do have Windows installed right? If you run that Swift installer, it should have asked you if you want to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 if you don't have it already. Either click Yes to that prompt to install (if it asks, which I assume it did since you have problems installing it) or go directly to the Microsoft site with the link to the .NET Framework v2.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

If for some reason you were not even able to get a prompt that asks you to install the .NET Framework and it just closes or doesn't work, it might be a Windows Installer issue. Try installing Windows Installer 3.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

It seems cool and the speed only makes it better. However I look for more then just speed in a browser. Does it have anti-virius or anti-popup toolbars or does it at least allow google toolbar. I have dowloaded windows framework before but I could never figure it out. It seems intresting and sounds like a nice and small browser. Looks good if you really don't want anything other then a web browser.Thanks,Sparkx

I apologize,,I thought msg,,was the same as msi,,,I went to the Webkit download,,and I could do nothing with it...I thought it was the same as msi,,so I posted...As said before,,,It prompted for net framework,,so I installed it...and after that the swift installation ran smoothly,,,And yes it was fast,,,probably because the different graphics engine...but, it could not reach some domains,,and when I closed it and started again,,a pop said that I needed to reinstall it...I was prepared for that,,since it is an alpha...so, the only words left,,should be...Hey Guys keep the good work...Cheersss

Well, I didn't have any problem installing Swift, yeah it is using Webkit rendering engine, which is a "better"/rewritten KHTML engine.. Anyway, as reading more about Swift, it seems that the development for it is quite slow and there weren't any updates for some time, so don't be bothered to use it as your browser as it is in alpha or whatever version, but it is quite good to test with it your pages, but if you have VMware, I recommend still to but up Linux and check it with Konqueror and ask your friends how it looks on Safari, who has MacOS.

I used this browser for a short time a few months ago on my linux partition and wasn't very impressed. It didn't seem much faster and it crashed all the time.

What you mean? you're talking about Swift on Linux? I think it is a Windows native browser.. but the "latest" news that it will use Mono and some talks about it, as I see their webpage got a little update and a new layout, but a lot of what doesn't work. Anyway of course it might be buggy as the engine isn't even fully ported yet and the software is in alpha stage. ;]

What you mean? you're talking about Swift on Linux? I think it is a Windows native browser.. but the "latest" news that it will use Mono and some talks about it, as I see their webpage got a little update and a new layout, but a lot of what doesn't work. Anyway of course it might be buggy as the engine isn't even fully ported yet and the software is in alpha stage. ;]

Oh I TOTALLY made a mistake. I was talking about swiftfox. There was another thread abotu swiftfox and I got the two confused. Sorry about that.

Dont you guys know about other browsers with different graphics engines...I read somewhere above that all the current browsers, except swift, are using the same graphics engine. This could not be true. I thought they were different. How could Firefox be the same as IE,,or Opera as FF. It gave me a shock. I hope the guys of swift finish their work. If I had money I would give them some, if it would help, because it seems it is a matter of action, and not a matter of viability. Cheers..

Sorry for the almost 2 month bump. But might I introduce myself. I'm Chris (aka Zimmy, from my likings of Invader Zim).

I'm the one incharge of developing the Swift Browser. I recently noticed this post when it came back on my stats (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) as a referer.

Swift is in an early alpha version. No duh it crashes, it's ALPHA. WebKit has not been finished in it's win32 port. While we seen the opening of it being able to be compiled in it's early state, we developed a browser around it.

How it stands today: Adobe has a version of WebKit for their Apollo projects (All Apollo apps use WebKit for HTML). It's vastly approved than what's sitting in Apple's svn. We are working on compiling it, however, certain things to be broken. I don't know if it's Adobe's/Apple's Scripts/Makefiles or even code, but I'm pending an e-mail from Adobe on advice for this.

We aim for this to be a production level browser, however, we may not get there for another year or 2. However, we remain, the first KHTML browser for Microsoft Windows, and we are proud of that, as KHTML is a Kicka** rendering engine.

If you want up to date news on Swift, my blog is the best bet: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you wish to contact the developer himself (Me B)) you may do so by the below:

E-Mail: chris -at- swift.ws
MSN: cfue -at- getswift.org
Jabber: uchuujin -at- atheme.org

(Replace " -at-" with @).

Happy web deving!

--Zimmy

wauuuu,,the developer himself,,I wont touch my screen for an hour..Hope you get the support you need for this project..Keep the good work...Cheers

It's really nice that the developer (one of the developers) cleared all the facts B)I like how the developer writes about gecko engine and mozzila fanboys, wanted to say that usually on most topics where firefox is discussed, but I really got tired.

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)