xisto Community
Lena11d

What Is The Best Video Player?

For the best video players i guess all of them like winamp and windows media player will do. If you want a very good one i suggest you get one of the dvd theater programs (Most of the time you get something like this free with a part of your pc).In the converting business, i've used winavi with a lot of success. It can convert nearly any file format and even burn onto a cd for you.-HellFire

For the best video players i guess all of them like winamp and windows media player will do. If you want a very good one i suggest you get one of the dvd theater programs (Most of the time you get something like this free with a part of your pc).In the converting business, i've used winavi with a lot of success. It can convert nearly any file format and even burn onto a cd for you.

-HellFire

thanks, but I meant ..I am setting up a website and want to put some vidoes for people to watch them, so what is the best player to put there? (like quick time or real player or something esle?)

Notice from WeaponX:
You missed the header QUOTE tag...I just enclosed it for you.

I hosted a few videos on my website. I just put them in .wmv format for Windows Media Player. I chose that format and player for a few reaons. The biggest one being that WMP is installed on windows machines by default, so a vast majority of my target audience is using windows machines and already has it installed. So that rules out the need for 3rd party downloads, which complicates things. Makes the choice a lot easier.It all depends on your target audience. If your target is for the non tech-savvy crowd, go with the choice I did, or even choose youtube. If yours is more for the person that knows what he or she is doing, go with quicktime, as you can get some great video with minimal compression.I'd go with youtube personally. Everyone knows about it, but the video quality sucks. You can embed video directly to your site while youtube hosts it. That's a big advantage; youtube hosts the video. That will save on a lot of bandwidth and storage costs.

Honestly speaking, Winamp isn't exactly the best player for videos around! ;) The way its video pane comes down (in the Modern Skin, let alone the Ol' one where there's a new skinned window!) Maybe you could get your favorite DSP Plug-in working with it, but the system seriously drops on resources for that one.

I'd suggest Windows Media Player® 10 or higher for video playback. In fact Windows Media Player® 11 is even better! You have all those 'enhancements' which work with most uncompressed videos. It supports most external DVD/DivX/XviD codecs for playback. Its fullscreen modes are quick(er) and more sensible (Have you ever wondered how harshly Winamp uses fullscreen?! ;) )

Its a clean equation : Winamp for audio, Windows Media Player® for video! ;)

Yeah sorry must've misread your post. You can embed a windows media player into your site by using the following code:

<OBJECT id="VIDEO" width="320" height="240" 	style="position:absolute; left:0;top:0;"	CLASSID="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6"	type="application/x-oleobject">		<PARAM NAME="URL" VALUE="your file or url">	<PARAM NAME="SendPlayStateChangeEvents" VALUE="True">	<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="True">	<PARAM name="uiMode" value="none">	<PARAM name="PlayCount" value="9999"></OBJECT>

Code thanks to: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (You can also visit this link for a handy list of parameters)

I'd suggest you encode in divx or something like that to get the best quality for lowest space.
If you prefer the simple option the youtube way is pretty good but only gives low res videos

-HellFire

HOw come now one knows the best media player you know it I know you do it is the Media Player ClassicWhy you ask it has the most completely codecs and nice features it has also it a very small percent of your CPU so doesn't make it slow it also remove useless features that others add that only slows a PC not nice But Most of all it is what everyone want FREEdownload it at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ could also download codecs their specially K-Lite codec most complete one it provides all your basic and complex video enjoyment features that you want in a player

I mainly use winamp and windows media player for all my video viewing needs. The reason for this is because I dont really know I guess because its just there and it works, haha. But yea, I often use those players to view all my videos and dvds. Sometimes I actually use my windows media center to watch dvds but I guess its still usng the windows media player just placed in a different interface.

There are several options if you want to have your video on a site:

a) use the embedded Windows Media Player, as has been described above

Pros:

- you can use your video file as-is, without conversion, as long as WMP can play it.

Cons:

- the user will sit there and wait until the movie has finished downloading in the background, not aware of the progress of the download, unable to make the decision whether or not to keep downloading the whole movie after watching the first few seconds / minutes.

:P convert your movie into the SWF format and use it in conjunction with a relatively sophisticated, XML-configurable SWF player that has a preload option. An example of this can be found here, as well as on many other sites:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Pros:

- the user can see the progress bar and is aware of the movie downloading

- the movie will start automatically after one third of it has been downloaded, thus avoiding playback fragmentation that would happen when the playback rate is faster than the download rate.

Cons:

- relatively difficult to set up, requires an advanced degree of understanding of HTML, XML, and of the interaction between the SWF player and the rest of the web page.

- requires conversion of video file into the SWF format (is there free, open source software to do that? I don't know).

- not entirely sure about copyright issues, the SWF player on that example site I gave you seems to have been "borrowed" from the desktop training CDs made by a company called Linux CBT.

c) convert your movie into the FLV format and use it in conjunction with an open source player that is relatively small in size (29KB), called flvplayer.swf.

This is the method I personally prefer for my purposes. An example of this can be found on one of my blogs at:

//dead link//

This one is a vacation video that my girlfriend took, and its original format as it came out the digital camera was MPEG.

Pros:

- progress bar, pause button and the capability to view the movie in full screen mode

- the setup is relatively simple, you can just copy the HTML code from the webpage I gave you, adjust the width and height according to the original resolution of your video to avoid pixelation and you're good to go (you need to add 22 pixels to the height to account for the control bar though).

Cons:

- requires conversion of video file into the FLV format (there is free, open source software to do that - it's called Riva FLV Encoder).

people, read the first post pls. He's asking wich player is best for embedding in a website, he's not asking for a standalone player.
I'd try embedding your videos in the flv format. You could use video hosting services like youtube, dailymotion, ... or you host them yourself and serve them using the JW FLV Player ( https://www.jwplayer.com/ ).

For converting video's into an avi format (DivX, XviD, Indeo, ...) I'd suggest you'd use VirtualDub. To convert your videos in other formats you could use Super ( http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html ). It can convert to flash video, quicktime, real, wmv, avi and it even supports the PSP and iPod profiles. Super doesn't give you many options, but it works tremendously well. If you want to use the windows media video format, you could try Windows Movie Maker.