xisto Community
iGuest

Gnome Partition Manager

Your Opinion about this software  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A partition manager just the way it should be. GParted (GNOME Partition Editor) is a freeware partition

manager based on Linux, but it’s not limited to that OS. ;)

GParted is available in three forms:

1. a binary that can be compiled on any Linux distro,

2.a LiveCD which can be burnt onto CD, and

3.a LiveUSB distribution that can be run by booting off a USB drive

I have reviewed LiveCD version.

# Simple Interface

# The top part of the window shows the hard drive as a rectangular diagram, and the partitions are drawn with proportional sizes. # The file system, capacity, and free space ofeach partition are shown at the bottom.

# You can right-click on a partition and resize, move, copy, format, or createa partition.

# After you perform a certain list of actions, a new pane pops at the bottom of the program, listing the actions and their sequence. # This is just a preview of the actions, and you can review the actions and undo any or all actions. Once you feel that all is OK, # # you can click the Apply button to execute the actions.

# GParted supports a host of file systems such as ext, ext2, FAT16, FAT32,NTFS, HFS, HFS+, and the list is seemingly endless.

OK, nice topic.
I didn't know about gparted, I was looking a tool like that (for people who don't want to install webmin).
I would just like to clarify a small detail point. You say :

1. a binary that can be compiled on any Linux distro

Is this really what you wanted to say ? Usually a binary is an executable file, no need to compile it. So, usually, you either get the binary file you run on your computer, or you get the source file which has to be compiled.It's the first time I hear about a binary file which has to be compiled ! ;)
Also, for people as lazy as I am, maybe you could add the link where to download it from.
-------------
Edit.
Now I understand. I guess that the term "compiled" should be understood in terms of installation, meaning including it inside a Linux system. A first read it as "compilation" of a C program.

The Partition Assistant Home Edition is also excellent, it is FREE partition manager software. It allows you to manage partition, redistribute disk space easily, and you can use it to perform more complicated partition operations on your hard disk, which like the commercial Partition Magic.

This freeware home edition supports 32 bit Windows operating systems including Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7. It can Resize and Move Partition, Extend System Drive,Repartition,Merge,Split Partition and so on. It's very convenient and magic for common users to acquire more advantages in disk partition management field.

http://www.extend-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html Edited by yordan
quoted the copied part (see edit history)