xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Goodbye Gmail, Hello Googlemail?

According to an article that i just read at the WebProNews Newsletter is posible that the @gmail.com accounts could change to @googlemail.com because Google loose rights to GMail in the UK, i think that it will apply not only to UK and USA gmail accounts it also will apply to all gmail acounts over the world. For me it will be very bad because i have made my gmail account my EMAIL ACCOUNT and i'm very confortable with it.

Here is the complete article: Google: The British Are Coming For GMail!

Best regards,

According to an article that i just read at the WebProNews Newsletter is posible that the @gmail.com accounts could change to @googlemail.com because Google loose rights to GMail in the UK...

How could they loos rights to it? Are they selling them or did someone have them first? I use Yahoo and haven't had any problems yet. I don't like how the website is getting to have larger programs but it gets the job done. Do you think you will loose your account? I thought Gmail was still only a beta? I have heard that AOL has a free your_name@your_name.com email account. Maby you could look into that if Gmail looses there rights? Googlemail.com isn't all that bad. Its just a little longer. If you like there mail set up you should stick with it ;) I was thinking about trying it but I never got invited and didn't really want to try too hard to get someone to invite me.Thanks,
Sparkx

No worries my friend, the worst you will have to deal with is a change of name not of e-mail

IIIR will not, however ask for transfer of the gmail.com domain, only that Google change the name of its email service.

You will still be able to keep your original @gmail.com account. The article does say a lot about Googles reaction to corporate conflict...

Thanks for the article.
-Jordan

Wait will the existing e-mail ends still work? On what legal ground did they lose it? Why will a ruling in the UK effect the US? The US is soverign forever from the UK we lost our blood for it. Why we getting pushed around? lolThat's a pain. @googlemail.com is way to long...grrr thanks a lot big rich company for not appealing.

You should read the article he linked to its interesting. Were talking about the legal rights to a brand name. Gmail was a product by the company in the UK (IIIR) but Google did some shifty work to get the rights to the brand name first.If/when any action is taken in North America my guess is they would stop releasing new e-mails with the extension but current customers would get to keep their @gmail.com accounts. You would see no reference to Gmail on the site and there may even be an announcement from 'corporate'.Nothing to get worried about from a customer standpoint unless of course your concerned about branding legislation and shady corporate going ons ;)-Jordan

Yeah, when I read the first post, I also understood that it is impossible if noone could send me email to @gmail.com with my username, it would in fact be something terrible, all the accounts wouldn't work.. If google is so rich, I don't think that it couldn't do anything about a domain. As I remember this is only problems with say gmail.co.uk or gmail.de? and not the domain with .com! This is only an issue for people wanting their country domain, as I understood this, but I read about it years ago..

It might sound serious when we read it like this, but I sincerely doubt that Google will give up easily. Let's not forget that the people in Google have a lot money - and money makes the world go round. They are aware that changing gmail.com to googlemail.com would put off numerous users, and, if I were them, I would make sure that doesn't happen.

@Silverfox

Why will a ruling in the UK effect the US? The US is soverign forever from the UK we lost our blood for it. Why we getting pushed around?

Well I think it was only 100 soldiers that the UK were short of at the time..if the ships had landed on time and not got caught up in the bad weather in the atlantic I firmly think that the US of A would still be under our control ;)And I know the world would be a better place for it ;)

Well I am sure, google is going to have th domain gmail nicely under its hoods. Its sometimes good to show we dont need that, to bring down the price. Nothing is unsaleable, you need to quote rightly. Even if google looses gmail domain, I think I will have to stick with googlemail, since its much much better than any of the contenders. some day, there will be emails generating from computer domains rather than internet domain. The domain of Peer 2 Peer Connection. I have been thinking a lot on. Say you can just email from your computer and receive on your computer, you are given a dynamically assigned domain, which you can get free. Its just my imagination.. ;)

....I firmly think that the US of A would still be under our control ;)And I know the world would be a better place for it ;)

All I can say to that's lol...can't say how something 230 yrs ago would've effected the world. Guess you ingrates have no reconlection of us helping you in WWI, what a shame.

For me it will be very bad because i have made my gmail account my EMAIL ACCOUNT and i'm very confortable with it.

I guess that you, personnally, exactly as for myself, will have no problem.Your name suggests that you are from a country who will accept the name gmail.com because the domain name has been legally bought by google.
I guess that in some countries like in UK, the new users will see theyr brand new mail accoung being created @googlemail.com instead of being @gmail.com. And that's all.
Except if google accepts to pay 60 million dollars to the guy claiming he is the owner of the name "gmail" in UK, which I think is not the case.
By the way, if somebody wants to give me some millions of dollars in order to use my own brand name "yordan.com" in his country, he is welcome.

All I can say to that's lol...can't say how something 230 yrs ago would've effected the world. Guess you ingrates have no reconlection of us helping you in WWI, what a shame.

Well you pointed it out in the first place.
Let me give you a little history lesson, because obviously the “Yank” education system has left you deeply lacking in history education as well as spelling ;) When you say WW1 are you reffering to the Great War ? 1914-1918? when the Us of A played both sides for nearly 4 years to see who would win? then stepped in in the dying months of the war in 1918?
Or was world war two when the "Yanks" came into the war right at the end (are you starting to notice the pattern?) when the British and the Russians had done all the hard work and millions of us had died, and just like every war the Us of A has got involved with since..they were only there to get something in return, this time it was Nazi rocket scientists and securing bases in central Europe, and not barrels of oil...and by doing that the good ole US of A created the cold war.
So many of us Europeans actually ask the question did we need them to win? the answer with hindsight is actually NO.
Care to carry on this argument? I could go on all day ;) )))))))

Let me give you a little history lesson, because obviously the âYankâ education

Please, keep your answers in line with the main subject of this topic.Else, BuffaloHelp will say that we are spaming again !
;)

They can't just change things like this. Even though the worst we will go through is namechange, i think it's bad enough. I like the name Gmail. Googlemail sounds awkward. Its too long