xisto Community
demolaynyc

Why Use Ftp Softwares?

People tend to use FTP sfotware because it has unnumerous features like:You can have a list of your servers, without having to remember them all.You have Logs for your actions and mostly of the times, you can actually read why you could not copy that file.You have File Queues, Speed details, Side By Side Explorer trees, and in some applications, you can actually edit a file in real time, without having to copy, open and recopy it.Etc. etc etc.Have fun

FTP software gives you like... more freedom when uploading stuff.i dont think u can CHMOD or stuff like that in windows explorer.I use Core FTP Lite, its really good.i once downloaded this ftp program but as soon as it finished i got 2 trojans so yeah, i halted the computer in pc cillin and then that deleted them. i forgot wot it was called but if you come accross some ftp program with a 1 page site and no email address then dont download it.

I never use FTP on my dedicated server as I never installed an FTP server. I recommend WINSCP. Its a SSH/SCP client that is like an FTP client but runs off port 22 and is therefore more secure/easier to configure. You can set it up on a server that only has an OS (like I had to on my freeBSD server). Its a little slower than FTP but it works great.

I dont have my own server to do that, oh unless it just goes on the computer and it just sends to the gamma server if u set it up like that.a hosting company i know has a "webdrive", it sets up a drive on your computer and to edit your site you just go to the drive (it makes it the S: drive). if i ever bought hosting from there (and once i decide i need to buy hosting i am) i still wouldnt use it because it doesnt seem very secure.

Astahost doesn't allow you to connect to TPC 22 (SSH) which is how WINSCP works.But if your running a dedicated its great. I couldn't figure out how to upload using putty so I used WINSCP. I rarely use putty now, its easier to edit with WINSCP than putty.

Putty is a client you can use on windows to connect to TCP Port 22 to manipulate Unix shells.Its the only thing you can use (or something equal to it) for a lot of dedicated severs at first (like the one I had, only had the shell). WINSCP is good for uploading files and the like when you don't have an FTP Server installed.Of course most of us don't need dedicated servers.

i dont think u can CHMOD or stuff like that in windows explorer.

Well, no, but that's because Windows doesn't have chmod. You can however use the properties page to set the access restrictions in Windows Explorer.
~Viz