xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ginginca

Making A Viral Video

This is one thing I don't understand. Youtube and google video compress your videos and automatically shrink them down to a 640x480 resolution. What I'm lost about is why do people spend $2000 for High Def cameras when their main distribution source is youtube? Just a standard Canon zr500 camera would produce great videos for youtube or google video. Why record HD video that looks amazing when it's going to get compressed to look crappy anyway?Anyway, enough rambling. I usually compress my videos to 640x480 when distributing over the web. But whenever possibly, like if I'm hosting my own video, I like to keep it 720x480, or sometimes I'll even shrink it to be balf that (360x240). The smaller size saves the cost of bandwidth. And if you embed video from youtube into your website, that's even more cost effective.

I think when i submitted some movies i originally recorded them in 800x600 then compressed them into 720x480 (using a low quality codec though, divx didn't want to work) and yeah they get compressed again to youtube or google videos own file format and resolution.As far as i know it would be best to record at decent resolutions so you can still get some detail when it's compressed, just don't compress it to below 640x480 (or whatever the site compresses it to)Some things i've personally noticed is the higher resolution you record in, the end result looks clearer (which makes sence anyway if anyone does graphics here).-HellFire

So putting it in at 640 X 480 sound okay then? I think they compress it down to 320 X 240 ... just a wee little box on my monitor ;)Are you doing any viral videos? Or just personal stuff?

I just do personal things. Movies I make with my friends and my group. That's it. I'm not a fan of this viral video bandwagon. If everyone starts doing it, pretty soon no one will be interested.