xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Norton Anti Virus Uninstall How to do this???

I now own a new laptop and the Retail 60 or 90 day trial of Norton anti-virus came per-installed. Piece of carp. And I want to install a different Software, probably the One M^E suggested in another topic, but anyway...Is the removal of Norton's Antivirus and Norton's Internet Security as simple as it sounds? Simply use the uninstallers and delete the folders from the system to free up space? Or are there other things which should be done? I'm thinking registry cleaning and all that. Are these extra steps required? or reccomended?

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

How do I completely uninstall Symantec AntiVirus?

Problem: The solution to many problems with Symantec AntiVirus is to completely uninstall Symantec AntiVirus, then re-install. You can use these instructions to completely uninstall Symantec AntiVirus.

Solution: In order to completely uninstall Symantec AntiVirus and all related components you need to follow these instructions.

Note: This procedure will remove all Symantec products, not just Symantec AntiVirus. Replace c:\Program Files\ with the folder where you installed Norton Antivirus.

1) Click on Start | Settings | Control Panel

2) In the control panel double-click on Add / Remove Programs

3) Look through the list of installed programs for any item that says either "Norton" or "Symantec" or "LiveUpdate". (for example "Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition" or "Norton AntiVirus 2000")

4) For each "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate" item, select the item and click Add / Remove. Follow the instructions, and click Yes or Yes to all when prompted.

When you are done there should be no items in the list that say "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate".

5) Click OK to close the Add / Remove Programs window.

6) Reboot your computer if it hasn't already automatically rebooted.

7) Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus (or c:\Program Files\Norton) folder.

8) Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec folder.

9) Delete the c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared folder.

*NOTE: I did not write it all. I have used Google to confirm this and to add thins*
Edited by Mark420 (see edit history)