xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Dark

The Easiest

I just want to know what is the easiest programming language to use for the internet right know to me it seems like html it is cause it is the only one I know how to use at this moment and C and C++ seem to hard for me.

Actually, you have got it a bit wrong. HTML is not a programming language - as the name itself tells you, it is a markup language (Hyper Text Markup Language). That means it only "explains" the browser what to display on a certain page. This content is not dynamic (it never changes); it is exactly the same as you've typed it.

Even though HTML is not a programming language, it sure is the start point for creating web sites. As I already said, HTML tells the browser what to display, and no other markup language can help you with that. Without HTML, you won't be able to create anything. However, knowing only HTML is far from enough for a good web site. You would also have to learn CSS (Cascading Stylesheets - a stylesheet language) for better design, as well as PHP/MySQL (now this is programming) for dynamic pages and user interaction.

But I wouldn't rush it if I were you. It's always best to buy/download a book on pure (X)HTML and learn it well, because it is the linchpin of all web sites. After that, move on to CSS, and then PHP and MySQL.

As pyost said, HTML is the starting point for creating websites. As for programming, my starting point was Visual Basic, which is probably the best place for you to start if you're really interested. That's a big if because trying to hone programming skills/knowledge is like trying to play a sport you're horrible at: easily overwhelming. But persistance will pay. I'm past the absolute beginner stage (barely), but it's almost as if it never gets easier. Just like that sport you suck at, it's easy to give up.

Fortunantly for me, my mind works in such a way that I can enjoy the learning complexity. The best way I can explain it is if you are very analytical, always considering and reconsidering, then you'll probably be able to weather the feelings of hoplessness that come when you just can't get the damn thing to work (your program). Hopelessness is standard when it comes to programming... it will never work the first time, and you will never immediately understand why it won't work. You will want to give up.

This, at least, is my experience. I hope I don't sound like a sourpuss though -- remember, I said persistence pays!.

You can download Visual Basic Express Edition for free from the microsoft website. Here is a link to the download page:
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/

It's been years since I toyed around with VB -- only C++ and Java for me nowadays. I don't know what all is (or isn't) included in the VBEE package, but I'm sure it's enough to get you started learning. I suggest you download it and search the web for tutorials and examples, and study them. Just remember not to give up when things seem hopless.

You'll really enjoy PHP programming, I would consider it a good place to start even though I had some Turing and C under my belt before I started. Php.net has all the resources you will need, I would recommend setting up a web server (Apache) database server (mySQL) and PHP on your own pc so you can understand how the programs work together and have fun messing with the settings (VERY educational).As pyost said PHP is 'real' programing where you can dynamically create data (for example the first real project I made was a 'Hot or Not' clone for a overclocking site I frequented). In PHP you have alot of freedom with variables so while some may say it will teach you bad habits early I say it gives you room to learn without being bombarded by variable management (often for alot of your code you will just swap out one or two variables for all your arguments).Php has also spawned a compilable version of their web language I have never used it but it would be fun. Regardless of where you decide to start my #1 piece of advice is get a book with examples it will become your bible, research amazon for the best reviewed title in the language your thinking of.As far as long term goals C++ I think will always be a mainstay in programming for the foreseeable (18 months?) future. Read everything you can on object oriented programming it will save your life. The basics of coding, the algorithms and solutions are fundamental once you learn the basics of computational problem solving you'll transition easily from language to language. Focus now on learning how to solve various problems. (Check out topcoder.com for some interesting problems). Good luck! Programming opens a world of possibilities, for me it really changed my mindset about my PC, its a tool now more than an entertainment machine.-Jordan