xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gregchin

The Illusionist - The Locket In It Actually Where to get a locket like that

Hi all, I just watched the illusionist starring edward norton and jennifer beal - we rented a DVD. It was a very interesting show with a nice twist at the end - to keep you guessing. What fascinated me most was the design of the locket that the male lead gave to his girlfriend. In fact immediately after the movie, i went on-line to try and discover if there was such a locket for sale. It being 3 days before Valentine's I thought that it would make a cool present.However, I was disappointed to discover that there is no such locket and the device was probably a nifty piece of CGI by the films special effects crew. In fact one site mentioned that such a design would not be possible to create.After some thought, I wonder if that assumption is necessarily right. Perhaps if we modified the locket slightly. the main problems I think would be, where to place the hinge on the twisting parts and how to have the picture not be split into 2. I was wondering if this could be accomplished using magnets. So there would not be a hinge, but it could be twisted and yet stay together using the attractive force of magnetism. The picture could also be set onto a very thin piece of metal so that it could seem to stay fastened to the locket.Finally, if we were to try and stay true to the design, the entire locket could be painted in brown and made to look like a piece of wood. Sure it would be much heavier than a wooden one, but perhaps wearable if it were made thinner. Just a thought.Any other possible designs??

Check eBay under "Illusionist Locket" there is a guy there that has produced a full operational locket just like the movie. An aluminum one and to different wooden ones