xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainRon

Wikipedia Founder Plans Search Engine! Threat to google?

I don't know if this News has already come up on this forum...

http://www.informationweek.com/wikipedia-founder-plans-search-engine/d/d-id/1050201

Having a search engine where "the people" contribute, is definitely a good idea. No doubt Wikipedia has changed the way people access information. Will this Wikiasari be able to change the way people search?

I love wiki its just the greatest thing that has ever happened to internet. I can now do my homework in half the time it usually takes because I just put the key words into wiki. I also copy huge swathes of it for my presentations. However as I am not the only who has discovered this treasure trove it means a lot of us end up with similar looking homeworks and presentation. At time wiki can also be fairly in accurate because either the reader misunderstands or the writer has acutally put something wrong down. As just about anyone can edit it mistakes are not spotted for a long time particularly ones in articles relating to science and obscure topics. Hence mindlessly copying is not a good thing. Also a lot of the articles go into great depths and it takes a long time to extract the things that you need. I have to say the search engine on wiki can definitely do with some improvement because its not very good at linking up articles. If you don't type in the exact key words the search engine pulls up a load of rubbish. I usually just use google first and hunt for the wiki article on google. I'm glad the wiki people are hoping to expand it would be good for all of us.

In addition, I think that the wikipedia search is really a great idea and might move everything to a different side.. Wikipedia has grown with information, valid and good quality information, that it is as I know the biggest information resource Today.. In fact, I started to search wikipedia much more often, due to when I use google search for something I usually see a link to wikipedia and I don't look at other links and push it and get what I want.. So by wasting time to use Google search, I could just use Wikipedia search.. but of course.. Google has much more information, but you need to search for it with better keywords and stuff and also Wikipedia doesn't have ALL the info, but still! I think that Wikipedia is one of the things which changed the Internet to a better side.. By reading one Wikipedia article or whatever you call it, you go through the links and noticed that you were reading for three hours and now know much more, it is better in my opinion than just sitting and reading some jokes on some joke site. ;)

Nothing will ever catch up to google.

You do not need to worry about that now! ;) I am interested in this new addition to Wikipedia, but I caution those who use it as a source for school work. I have been through many classes lately where the teachers make it a point to tell us not to use wikipedia because of the ability other people have to edit the information. Personally, I use it anyways though because if you are smart, you can just read through it a little bit and the scroll to the bottom of a page and click the resource links. I have found that most of the information is correct but there is always that chance that you are researching someones opinion rather then historical fact.

Now if only Uncyclopedia would make a search engine. If that ever happened, well - that might be googles downfall!

Wikipedia has actually taken forward the concept of internets information access to all thing,wikipedia has practically information about a hell lot of things in world ,though i sometimes bump into things which arent in wikipedia ,but yet wikipedia has all the stuff which are widely used.wikipedia has a good level of content even though it is editable by practically anyone,wikipedia has actually made things possible for users to know,wikipedia makes content as a standard way of displaying ,many times there are so many old sites which have some or the other information ,but the design and structure is so poor and getting those content on wiki actually makes wikipedia a wonderful site which has everything in it .wikipedia acts as a filtered contebnt sort of ,i have found many times that wikipedia mods scurtinise xontent very deeply and take it as damn serious,if anyone is to see the talk page of this mods you will find that there are tons o9f people actually arguing about what content they need to add and what not and yes the traffic to these page is so much that the google pr has given them a pr of 6 and all .but i genuinely feel that the search engine should be started by wikipedia but then if they create a search engine for the entire web i am sure that the pages of wikipedia would slide sown in google search results but yet as the competition of search engines grow more and more better quality will be available to users and no monopoly would remain on the market ,as we all know currently in adsense tyhe google has the whole hand and has a big monopoly has yahoos ypn is very new yet ,the adsense guys really hide every fact from you and pulls on a load from advertyisers and give meres to publishers ,i ma sure that if wikipedia pylls out a search engine and if it is really good i would change my homepage from google to wiki search

It's definately a big step for Wikipedia, but I kind of doubt they'll be able to catch up to Google. I, personally, don't like Google... pretty much just because everyone talks about it. But Google has become to search engines as Kleenex has become to tissue. When people tell someone to search for something they say "Google it" not "search for it", like how most people say they need Kleenex, not they need tissue. It's become a 'household name' I think is the correct phrase.