xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Supercharge Your Broadband Link With Free DNS From OpenDNS

I just came across this great free DNS service called OpenDNS which can prove to be an effective solution for all those broadband users suffering from high address resolution latency. For most part our own ISP's DNS Servers are pretty much ill-configured and in my case gives up on me quite often.

Here's an excerpt from my article at Chaos Lab..

Posted ImageDo you often encounter slow page-load times despite using a decent broadband connection? Does you browsing experience often come to a bitter halt with a message like "Looking for xxx.com" or "Waiting for xxx.com"? If you are facing similar problem, it might be indicative of a lousy DNS setup by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

DNS or Domain Name Services are the internet's own version of a telephone directory. Your computer takes help of such DNS Servers to locate another computer every time you type in a web-address / URL in your browser. The process is known as address resolution. By default all the ISPs maintain a set of DNS Servers for usage by their customers. This is done so that all such lookups take place over the local network and thus address resolutions are fast. At least that is how it is supposed to happen. However, in reality many ISPs don't maintain their DNS Servers properly leading to extremely poor resolution latency.

This is where OpenDNS steps in. If you suffer from high DNS latency periods as described above, OpenDNS may be able to help you out. OpenDNS is a free service that provides you with a set of free DNS servers for unlimited usage. In shortâ¦

OpenDNS is a better DNS, free to all. OpenDNS uses its distributed network of DNS servers to speed up your Internet experience, increase reliability, improve security and make DNS smarter for users all over the world.

Read the full feature...