xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Need A Little Help In Figuring Out Search Strings For CMS/BBS/Blogs

Dear members,

I'm in the process of creating sample OpenSearch Plugins for a wide-variety of Content Management / Bulletin Board Systems / Blogs - so that they can serve as examples for anyone who wishes to install one for their site. I've already come up with a few for the most common ones like WordPress, IPB etc. which I regularly use.

Where I need help from you guys, is in finding out the URL based Search Strings for other such web-apps that you may be using.. for example Mambo / Joomla / Drupal ... any other blogging platform and any bulletin board system other than IPB and SMF.

So what is this Search String?

If you don't know what I mean by the Search String, here's an example. If you search for the phrase "Local Website Archive" at Xisto, and notice the URL in the browser's address bar, you'll see something like this:

http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?act=Searwebsite+archive

That is the Search String. It reveals information on how the software passes on the search keywords to it's search routine as well as information on which file the search functions are located.

That information is extremely necessary for me to come up with these plugins - and that's where I seek help from you.

How do I go about finding this string?

All you need to do is perform a normal search on any of the web-apps you regularly use and then paste here the URL that comes up in your browser's address bar when the search results are displayed.

It'll be convenient if you make the submission in the following example format.

=============================================================

Search String for XXXX CMS/Blog/BBS

Site URL

Site Software

The Search String

Keywords used for the search

That should be enough.

A great many thanks to whoever sends in a non-repeated submission.

Cheers,

m^e

P.S. I thought I should maintain a list of the apps for which I've already written a plugin for & keep updating it, so that there aren't any repeat submissions. So here's the already-done list:

Content Management Systems

Mambo

Joomla

Bulletin Board Systems

IPB

Blogs

WordPress

Misc. Sites

iPodNova Torrent Search

BlogSpot

Downloads

All the plug-in samples can be download anytime from THIS POST.

Search String for XXXX CMS/Blog/BBS

Site URL

Site Software

The Search String

Keywords used for the search

Handy PHP

Joomla!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

"Handy PHP"

Mambo uses the same search system.

The "Itemid" is the id of the search component in the menu database and can be omited all-together.

This is the non-SEO method which will always work for searches. I think the Mambo SEO method uses the POST method for the request but the GET method is still available. If properly implemented, the original link method will not be completely replaced by the seo method so usually, if SEO is on or implemented, eith method will word.

As I think of others, I'll post them here.

vujsa

Thanks guys for rolling it off...turbopowerdmaxsteel: It'd be convenient if you can provide me with the WHOLE Search String and not just the keyword variable passed to it.Anybody else with Search Strings for stuff like XOOPS, Plone, Drupal etc. ?