xisto Community
wutske

Laptop Brand

I want to buy a laptop for school. So, what I need is a laptop that can run at least 2-3 hours, the more, the better. I realy do NOT want a relfective screen, these are so annoying and we have a lot of windows in our school.Other things I'd like:1Gb ram (at least)80Gb HDD(at least)a rather descent graphics card, because I'd like to do some gaming on the laptop too (some lessons are freaking boring ;) ).Dual Core CPU (slow model is good enough)my budget is ~ €1200I've never had a laptop before (okay, I do have a DX4 laptop w/ 16Mb RAM ;) , but that one doesn't count), so I'd like to have some input about brands, what are there positive and negative points ?Ow, before I forget, I also want to know how the sound quality is, it's not something that will be descisive, but I just like good speakers (especialyl their sub to medium range, because that seems to be the problem with most speakers).

A Dell, Compaq, Fujitsu-Siemens or Toshiba - and not every model. It's hard to specify a particular model because i don't know what's available right there. Can you provide any models you've seen that fall under your criteria, and then it would be a bit easier to point out the pros and cons of each one.

For your budget, you should be able to get a good laptop. You can go to Dell's site and customize the laptop to your liking. If you are a gamer, I recommend going with the XPS laptops since they will have a better video card for gaming.For the non reflective issue, I assume you mean those anti-glare screens that Dell have. Most (all?) of the Dell E series laptops have those I think.Another brand that you might want to take a look at is Toshiba (as mentioned above) or one of those Acer laptops.Try to customize the laptops to your liking and see how it fits your budget. Some of these sites (like Dell) let you choose your parts including the processor type.

I want to buy a laptop for school. So, what I need is a laptop that can run at least 2-3 hours, the more, the better. I realy do NOT want a relfective screen, these are so annoying and we have a lot of windows in our school.Other things I'd like:
1Gb ram (at least)
80Gb HDD(at least)
a rather descent graphics card, because I'd like to do some gaming on the laptop too (some lessons are freaking boring ;) ).
Dual Core CPU (slow model is good enough)
my budget is ~ €1200

I've never had a laptop before (okay, I do have a DX4 laptop w/ 16Mb RAM ;) , but that one doesn't count), so I'd like to have some input about brands, what are there positive and negative points ?
Ow, before I forget, I also want to know how the sound quality is, it's not something that will be descisive, but I just like good speakers (especialyl their sub to medium range, because that seems to be the problem with most speakers).

I wouldn't really know what you should buy but i find mac's good and you can play world of warcraft on them :P
I don't play world of warcraft though ;)
You can always download photoshop, macromedia flash, fireworks, dreamweaver, director and sound booth to keep you entertained and make some money designing websites :P

I really should start creating my own websites and selling them lol

Ill take my own advice and start now :P

-Lewis

P.S thanks for the inspiration.

@WeaponX: I'll take a look on the Dell site, but I guess the XPS series are bit too expensive for me :P (I'm just a casual gamer).I think I mean the anti-glare thingy :P , as long as I can't use the screen as a mirror (like the Sony Vaio laptops).I'll take a look around for customizing some laptops, but first finishing my exams ;) .@Lewisthemusician: I've been looking into these macbooks, but the macbook (not pro) uses a small, über-reflecting lcd and comes with an onboard GMA950 and the Macbook pro is a bit too expensive (starting at €2000 ;) ).@Grafitti: I've been looking into some laptop, but that's been a while ago (exams ;) ), maybe next week I'll be looking for some laptops again :P//edit: any input on the inspirion 6400 ? Looks sweet :P

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Does anyone understand the Dell website ;) .
Their pricing sucks:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Inspirion 9400 (take the second model).
from € 1.228 for € 1.037 , but when you do configure and order (configureer en bestel), the price suddenly changes into from 1.542,21 for €1.351,46 ....
rip-off ...

//edit: damnit, nevermind...

Waarom is de prijs hoger?Voor uw extra beveiliging en comfort selecteert Dell voor u een uitgebreidere support service. Om de vanaf/geadverteerde prijs te bereiken, dient u de "1 Jaar Collect & Return Service" te selecteren bij "Ondersteuningsservices".

or

Why is the price higher ?For extra security and comfort, Dell selects a wider support service. ... etc ... select 1 year collet&return for adverted price ... blabla

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

The Inspiron 6400 is good. I've bought one a couple months ago. It's very good value for money.At the moment, very sweet too with their deal of $300 off. Go for their "best" model for $999. I can't believe what they offer for that price.

Don't rule out Apple either. You can get a loaded Macbook for a thousand pounds and a base level MacBook Pro for 1350 pounds. http://www.apple.com/uk/

With the new intel macs you can run windows on the same machine via bootcamp and the hardware specs are nearly identical.

Actualy, I do rule them out ... The cheapest Macbook pro comes at €2000. The normal Macbook has small, glossy screen and the graphics card is only an Intel GMA950, wich isn't made for a bit of gaming, yet, the cheapest model would still costs me €1120. Wich is too much for things I don't want.

@Grafitti: To bad I live in Belgium, no $300 off here ;) , but I know Dell usualy gives some €€€ off (currently €100 when ordering online :P , it's been like that for months).

So, atm it's between the Inspirion 6400 & 9400. But I realy need to do some more investigation (exams, exams ;) ). All I know is that Acer is no go because they all have glossy screens ;) (same goes for the expensive Sony's).

I personally would really want to rule Dell out. I've had bad experiences with every single Dell computer I've used and I've had to deal with a lot of them. Dell laptops are not the way to go if you don't like downtime. HP, toshiba, and Alienware are much better than Dell. From Alienware, a Area-51 m5550 should be able to fit into your budget. If not, a dv6000t from HP or a Satellite P100-ST1072 isn't a bad choice either.

I suppose Dell has its share of problems. But i have also had bad experiences with several HP models, and a couple Toshibas as well. Alienware i like, but i don't know what the chances of getting one in Holland are.

I personally would really want to rule Dell out. I've had bad experiences with every single Dell computer I've used and I've had to deal with a lot of them. Dell laptops are not the way to go if you don't like downtime. HP, toshiba, and Alienware are much better than Dell. From Alienware, a Area-51 m5550 should be able to fit into your budget. If not, a dv6000t from HP or a Satellite P100-ST1072 isn't a bad choice either.

The HP and Toshiba aren't what I'm looking for ;) (I'm looking for a non-reflective screen).
It seems to be damned hard to find a descent, non-reflective screens on a laptop ;)

I'll be looking into the alienwares, tough I doubt they'll be easy to find in Belgium (please don't tell me I come from Holland, plz :P:P ), but the area51 m5550 looks good at first sight :P .
damned, the alienware has a glossy screen too :P;) .

I'll be looking into the alienwares, tough I doubt they'll be easy to find in Belgium (please don't tell me I come from Holland, plz :P;) ), but the area51 m5550 looks good at first sight :P .damned, the alienware has a glossy screen too :P;) .

Here only Acer and Dell have non-glossy screens available, with possibly a few from HP in the business line, which i don't particularly like.
Sorry about the country mixup. I suppose it's as bad as mistaking an American for a Russian during the cold war? ;)

I used to be adamant about that as well. Never Dells, only HP, Acer and such. Then I had an HP dv4000 that had a faulty motherboard upon delivery... 16 months to get it sorted out with HP. By the time i got it working it was already time to upgrade. Then i bought an Acer 6100WLMi. Motherboard started showing problems after 3 weeks, and almost 3 months later i'm still waiting for acer to get it replaced (AMD model and non-existent here).My boss bought a Dell 6400 and a year later hasn't had problems with it. I don't particularly like Dells, but my experiences have eroded my support for my previous favorite brands. Though, if i had the money, a desktop replacement machine from Alienware, Twinhead, Eurocom, or Fujitsu would do quite nicely.