xisto Community
..::FoH::..Adm.HiDdEn

Can I Remotely Access Astahost MySQL DBs? Remote Ascess???

I don't know how this program works, so I can't tell you exactly, but I do know that you probably won't need to use it. As it says in one description, it is a replacement for dealing with MySQL via the command line. However, at Xisto you can manage MySQL users and databases through cPanel, and the content of the databases through phpMyAdmin. Both are user-friendly and easy to use.

I dont know if it is posible to do with MySql-Front, what i know is that it is possible if you use Sqlyog Enterprise Edition using a Use HTTP Tunneling connection.

To perform a remote access with this software is very simple, and it only consists to upload a php file to your webserver and then configure a new connection in the software.

Best regards,

I dont know if it is posible to do with MySql-Front, what i know is that it is possible if you use Sqlyog Enterprise Edition using a Use HTTP Tunneling connection.

To perform a remote access with this software is very simple, and it only consists to upload a php file to your webserver and then configure a new connection in the software.

Best regards,

I agree with TavoxPeru, so far i've been using SQLYog for more than half a year, very good indeed. HTTP Tunneling never fails me on ANY server i've come across.

Yes you can, quite easily. I don't know the specific program, but it should act similar to what I know. For the server, just put in your address (i.e. yourname.astahost.com, or a TLD if you have one), and make sure the port # is 3306. Then login using the users you create on CPanel - make sure to prefix as in yourname_username (it says more about that on CPanel). Then just use your MySQL.

I believe that you might have to do a little more than what bluefish mentioned in order to access a mysql DB....But that depends on what you are trying to do....Are you trying to just access the database yourself. As in you want to see what is in it, edit it, delete it, etc? If that is the case, simply login to cpanel, and click on mysql databases. From there you can create users and databases. Then if you would like to see what is in a database, or modify its contents. Click on the phpmyadmin link from that page.If you have a web based application that is on another server that you would like to access your mysql database on the Xisto server, you can simply go into cPanel, again click on the mysql databases button. Then go to the area that says "Access Hosts:". From there enter in the name or IP address of the server/computer that is trying has the application that is trying to access the database. For example, say you have some sort of database management software on your computer that you like to use, that can connect to mysql databases. You would simply enter your IP addess into textbox and click the add host button. (you can get your ip address by going to https://www.whatismyip.com/ ) If you have another website that you would like to access your database on the Xisto server, you can simply add that domain name to the host textbox, and click on the add host button. (for example: microsoft.com) Then on your program that needs to access the server, you set your database host, to your Xisto domain name (much like bluefish said)Hope this helps,Brian

I believe that you might have to do a little more than what bluefish mentioned in order to access a mysql DB....

But that depends on what you are trying to do....

Are you trying to just access the database yourself. As in you want to see what is in it, edit it, delete it, etc? If that is the case, simply login to cpanel, and click on mysql databases. From there you can create users and databases. Then if you would like to see what is in a database, or modify its contents. Click on the phpmyadmin link from that page.

If you have a web based application that is on another server that you would like to access your mysql database on the Xisto server, you can simply go into cPanel, again click on the mysql databases button. Then go to the area that says "Access Hosts:". From there enter in the name or IP address of the server/computer that is trying has the application that is trying to access the database. For example, say you have some sort of database management software on your computer that you like to use, that can connect to mysql databases. You would simply enter your IP addess into textbox and click the add host button. (you can get your ip address by going to https://www.whatismyip.com/ ) If you have another website that you would like to access your database on the Xisto server, you can simply add that domain name to the host textbox, and click on the add host button. (for example: microsoft.com) Then on your program that needs to access the server, you set your database host, to your Xisto domain name (much like bluefish said)

Hope this helps,

Brian

I'm also kind of interested on this matter; I often need to get on my Cpanel from college, but their proxy server does not allow HTTPS outside of the college network to be accessed. Which is frustrating because sometimes it just can't wait 'till I get back home.

Being able to at least see the databases, remotely would be a nice thing, would that work through a program like suggested above?

In fact, is there a way to get onto Cpanel, by any chance?

Hey thanks for the advice here. I've wanted to connect to my database directly, but with no success. I always use SQLyog for my local databases but couldn't get to connect to Xisto. Then tried SQLYog with tunnelling, and I could manage to connect, but couldn't do much as it keeps logging off. Then I tried "Add hosts" from Cpanel ( I didn't know there was such thing in Cpanel, or anywhere for that matter) and I got different results. I had a previous user for one of my databases, but it seemed to have problems. I created a new user and all went smoothly. Just one thing: when I tried to change user permissions to access the database remotely (just for security) I couldn't do it, even though I changed them from Cpanel, when I got back to the user it had all priviledges again. I don't know if it's a problem with Cpanel, but well, all in all I know the access is working, and to keep things secured I'll create and delete users and hosts (my IP is dynamic) as I see fit whenever I want to access the MySQL server.

HiddenKenshin, for accessing cpanel from where you cannot access https sites you should be able to access cpanel by using the following url format.

http://ww38.yoursite.com/

You should be able to log into cpanel that way, however keep in mind that it isn't https, so that it will not necessarily be as secure as accessing your site by going to http://ww38.yoursite.com/cpanel/

Hope that works, as I am not as of yet hosted at Xisto, so I can't check and see if it works, however that did work for my old host.

I was woundering the same question. You want to access an sql database from a differant site. I know its possible because many people use multiple servers for one sql. I would like the source code for that also please. Is there a way to make 2 dbs with same tables but differant entries to applear on a site (lets say one db gets full so you make another one to store other usersers on but you want them both to be accessed when someone does something like searching members). Im not sure if thats possible or if anyone knows what I am talking about.Thanks,Sparkx

I was woundering the same question. You want to access an sql database from a differant site. I know its possible because many people use multiple servers for one sql. I would like the source code for that also please. Is there a way to make 2 dbs with same tables but differant entries to applear on a site (lets say one db gets full so you make another one to store other usersers on but you want them both to be accessed when someone does something like searching members). Im not sure if thats possible or if anyone knows what I am talking about.Thanks,
Sparkx

You can try the federated database, it serve as a link to another databased located else where. But this require MySQL 5.0, most common hosting server only has MySQL 4.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/