xisto Community
anzoone

Navcat For MySQL is Navcat any good?

Hello all, i ve recently come across NavCat (GUI tool) for MySQL. I have not bought a copy yet, just played around with the demo. Has any one used it beore, if so please let me know if its worth buying. I already have PhpMyadmin, Just wanna know if NavCat is better than PhpMyAdmin in usibility and functionality.Regards

I didn't use it.However, I have a question for you :How do you like it (from the demo) compared to phpmyadmin ? Is it nicer or does it have more usful functionnalities than phpmyadmin ? If yes, do you think it's worth to buy it ?RegardsYordanP.S : concerning the topic title, what is "musql" ? Maybe a mistyping for "mysql" ? :)

Edited by yordan (see edit history)

Yes Yordan, it MySQL ...soryy..just a typing error. And about NAVCAT, It seems more user friendly than PhpMyAdmin..But when it comes to buying it i needed an opinion of some one who has used its fully functional version so i ll have a better understaning . The demo, as you would know does not show you every thing.Regards.

I've used Navicat before...though to be honest the tools that MySQL AB provides (MySQL Administrator, MySQL Query) are superb. I've never found a task I couldn't manage with one of those 2 tools.

I must agree with you there..Ive tried a few packages also but always seem to come back to the default of MySql query browser and MySQL Admin  - again I can say Ive nothing that they cant do when working together.

Even the trial version of Navcat seems to give you decent intuitive, graphical, multi-table query building capabilities, something phpmyadmim does not offer and I could not figure out with mysql query browser. With mysql query browser, I kept dropping the join table onto the button but instead of joining, it would replace the table with the other one in the main text display. Adding tables, dragging and dropping columns on each other to create relational queries may be possible with mysql query browser, but it was not very intuitive to me if so.-Aurelio

Replying to bchuaI agree...I find the GA MySQL query tool is kind of quarky with long statements sometimes...And is sort of a pain to move in and out of...While the NavCat tool feels more like Terratrax a tool I use for MS SQL management. I haven't bought NavCat...Still using the tial, but so far I love it...Though there are still some features on the MySQL query tool that kick *bottom* over the NavCat tool ;-)I will probably buy NavCat though eventually.-reply by Dustin

sqlyog

Navcat For MySQL

I found that SQL is the best tool for managing all MySQL databases, and the price is pretty cheap.

The GUI interface designer is relatively new, but they are progressing quickly on it. Also.. The company fixes bug really fast.

I was using the database compare tool once, and it was constantly crashing. They had the fix into a beta version and available for download in 2 days!

-reply by patrick

MySQL AB Tools

Navcat For MySQL

Replying to ethergeek

I really have to agree with ethergeek. Though I haven't tried Navcat yet, I have not seen anything rival MySQL AB's tools. They are very intuitive and very useful to do anything you want through a gui interface and with much ease. The keyboard shortcuts are great.

Unfortunately, the PC version of the software is far superior to the mac version. I've been using the tools on a pc for years, but now I work in a mac shop. Every time I use the Query browser on my mac, I'm surprised if it doesn't crash at least once. And almost every time it crashes I send an error report. My latest reports have gone from "query browser crashed while using the tool's table editor" to "crash report 1,999,999 : query browser must have crashed because I touched the monitor at the exact instance I executed a 'select * from table' query " it's really that unstable on a mac.

On a PC, I don't remember it ever crashing once. That's odd because... Isn't a mac supposed to be more stable than a PC? Isn't it ironic???

-reply by Justin