xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mirdux

Photomanipulation ?

I saw some pictures on a guys deviantart profile and in my opinion they looked amazing. Although it seemed like they were taken from a real picture and really messed with..... It said photomanipulation somewhere in there, so it leads me to believe that this is possibly what the process is called? If so, or anything else, what IS it called, and what would i need as far as software goes to do it ? any tutorials? thanks, Dux

I saw some pictures on a guys deviantart profile and in my opinion they looked amazing. Although it seemed like they were taken from a real picture and really messed with.....
It said photomanipulation somewhere in there, so it leads me to believe that this is possibly what the process is called?

If so, or anything else, what IS it called, and what would i need as far as software goes to do it ? any tutorials?
thanks,

Dux

Photo manipulation is generally just a term to describe altering a photograph.
Usually this is done in applications like Photoshop or GIMP or other photo editors.
I suppose it could ALSO mean manipulating the photos in the developing/printing
process in the darkroom but for the most part manipulation these days is much
more common on the computer. If you link to the image I might be able to give
you some ideas on how they might have done what they did, but without a example,
I can't really tell you the process.

Well, foolakadugie above me has pretty much explained everything.

But when you say:

...what would i need as far as software goes to do it ? any tutorials?

I think I might hold an answer. :ph34r:
A program that's a bit suckier than GIMP that I know of, for free, is Paint.NET. Of course, if you don't mind the price, buying Adobe Photoshop CS2 (or 7.0 is OK too) would be much better.

Tutorials? Well after you've had enough experience, the rest is up to you. That is why most photo-manipulators' works look rather different. :)
Edited by Vue (see edit history)