xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Software Development: User Interface Debate

User Interface  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Designing a classy looking user-interface is something we all adore. The first look of an application does determine its longevity in the user's hand. Choosing the right balance between proffessional and stylish look involves a lot of thought process going in (mostly from the user's perspective).I believe, that developing applications with unique (but not over the top), elegant and consistent interfaces is the best choice. What do you guys think?PS: Please specify which side you are speaking for (User / Developer)

Also depends on what platform you are designing for. Apple, for instance, has a pretty strict code to how everything should look and function. Linux has no such rules. Windows has a set of rules, but only about half the developers actually follow them. So a lot depends on what platform you are coding for.

as a developer i like to have everything ordered, looking professional and simple to use and understand. No huge graphics, hard to read text etc etc. Its like a website, if its hard to read and annoying, people aren't going to use it are they?as a user, i prefer the professional looks. They can be easier to use and its means less time having to learn where everything is and more time actually using the program!

As a developer and having a team, which has to work under a User Interface expert, I have come to know a few things. A smart coder is usually is the worst UI Designer.A Good UI designer is the worst coder (and probably doesnt understand the complexity)So there are these situations, where in the coder has to catch the nose the other way. And there are performance blocks and bugs which generally go through release.I think we need something in between. Some good coders and an average UI designer :)gee if only I could tell all that to my management ..

I think the most important aspect of a user interface is the ease of use. For end users the easier it is to use the more they are going to like it. It has to be easy to use and very efficient to get people realy like the user interface. I would not like a UI if it lagged my computer down a whole lot even if it was really easy to use. Just my two cents :)

I agree. I believe the days of overspecialization are over. Gone is the era of having small development teams consisting of coders who are not familiar with proper design concepts. Same concept applies to User Interface designers, people who are more artistic in their inclinations. Non-technical people must be more well-rounded technically in order to better communicate with their technical counterparts.I believe that this duality in engineers and artists alike is essential in delivering good applications to end-users.