xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
demolaynyc

Photoshop Cs2 Vs. Gimp

Right now I'm using Photoshop CS2. It's a really useful program for web layouts. But I found out about GIMP and I've heard that it's a good program as well. I just want to ask which program you think is better for web layouts. Which takes up more hard disk space? Which one is faster.I haven't tried GIMP yet so I'd like to hear your opinions about it. Thanks.

I currently use Photoshop, and I tried GIMP also, mainly because I wanted to switch to a Linux OS and that's the only decent graphics program there is available for linux. As there is a windows version, I installed it, and the first thing I noticed is the windows style, (more linux-like) and it took me a while to get used to it. There are many options, alpha channels, tools that are the same level of quality as in Photoshop, and of course tons of plugins as the GIMP is open source. In the end, I stayed with Photoshop as I was used to it, and didn't have the time to learn a new program(different names for same things, shortcuts, etc) So I would suggest that if you have Photoshop continue with it, unless you want to switch to Linux for graphics, or want to support open source developments :) The main advantage is of course it's FREE.

Photoshop is much more powerful program, but because it isn't free, as Gimp is free, open-source, it is quite simple and also quite powerful. I started with Gimp and to get used to it was quite hard, but with some time using it practically I really started to like to use it, later I got Photoshop and it was how to say it in short "to complicated" so I didn't use it, but also with time and tutorials learned to use it, even though I am not a graphics designer rather a coder/programmer, but I need to work with graphics sometimes :)Gimp in some way is much faster and less resources hungry, but with current computer hardware I don't think that is a very big problem. Photoshop can't eat everything, at least, it doesn't use all my resources and I don't have a to powerful hardware myself. :)

Photoshop is much more powerful program, but because it isn't free, as Gimp is free, open-source, it is quite simple and also quite powerful. I started with Gimp and to get used to it was quite hard, but with some time using it practically I really started to like to use it, later I got Photoshop and it was how to say it in short "to complicated" so I didn't use it, but also with time and tutorials learned to use it, even though I am not a graphics designer rather a coder/programmer, but I need to work with graphics sometimes ;)
Gimp in some way is much faster and less resources hungry, but with current computer hardware I don't think that is a very big problem. Photoshop can't eat everything, at least, it doesn't use all my resources and I don't have a to powerful hardware myself. ;)

(uh, hi, I'm new here ^^)

As passionate or addicted to "digital" graphics design as I am, I've also tried several programs; to broaden my horizon. The three "major" ones were PS CS1 (at that time), JASC PSP and GIMP. Personally, PS CS1 was too complicated, like said before in other posts, JASC was buggy as hell, and GIMP was just too unintuitive and lacking power.
Over time, I found much more resources and tutorials for Photoshop, and seriously, once getting used to, PS is the way to go. I lost all intrest in GIMP because in the long run, it would require a boatload of tweaking, plugins and scouring opensource sites to up GIMP to a photoshop level. Then again, I'm more accustomed to windows plug-and-play-out-of-the-box-come-as-you-go-routine (I can't say if that's a good or a bad thing...) so perhaps if you're more Linux/UNIXminded, GIMP might be a better and cost-free addition.

Gimp does a lot of things I need and argueable does something like lens flares better. However, I have quite a few handy photoshop plug-ins I've purchased over time that have no equivlant in GIMP so my vote goes to Photoshop. Plus PS is the industry standard. If you are a home user looking for some more power, sure GIMP is a great option, but if you are a pro, Photoshop is the way to go.

I agree Photoshop is the industry standard however I found I still required a lot of plugins for the majority of things I would want to do, however I had to leave Photoshop because it did not want to work for me if I had a mouse and a tablet connected when running PS. I don't know if they've released a patch for this, but that's when I turned away from PS CS2 and started using GIMP.Gimpshop is the modified GIMP to resemble Photoshop, so that you won't be too lost when using GIMP this way. PS makes things a lot easier but when you've got to adjust, you just do it and it still does what I need it to do, even if it requires a lot more work, but it's sort of like using an earlier version of PS or PSP.Cheers,MC

For those who want basic stuff to make signatures, or enhance a photo - I recommend using GIMP rather than pirating Photoshop. You won't make use of extra features and it's easier to use this way. Professional people however will find no problems comparing these versions based on their features list on their websites.

For those who want basic stuff to make signatures, or enhance a photo - I recommend using GIMP rather than pirating Photoshop. You won't make use of extra features and it's easier to use this way.
Professional people however will find no problems comparing these versions based on their features list on their websites.

I'm happy I got a college licensed photoshop, because I've never seen a person with a legit photoshop version running on their computer, outside my college.
Prolly one of the most pirated pieces of software of the moment.
I'd still pick PS over the GIMP anyday.

See that is the point. People think they're better off pirating photoshop because it's capable of more. While in fact, they should be more concerned about usability for an image editing program. I think it's safe to assume that people who ask advice on which version to use aren't as computer literate as us geeks. Otherwise they'd check feature lists and screenshots on usability, or videos (which are plenty). Save them the trouble of pirating a version, downloading more, and looking more for the right tools and how to use them.And yes, photoshop must be one of the most pirated programs ever. But it does help to keep Adobe's formats 'standard'. Still I think people shouldn't proscribe photoshop that much to "the lesser geeks". Ease of use is the rule here for them.

I've never actually used gimp, infact i'm still using photoshop cs1. I havn't had the time to upgrade and cs1 does just fine.I'm not exactly sure what features gimp has etc but i know that the photoshop i have does exactly what i need. I usually don't change programs unless something stuffs up or i need other features.So that means i'll be sticking with photoshop cs1 for a while. When i need to change i'll try out gimp and see what its like.-HellFire

I've never actually used gimp, infact i'm still using photoshop cs1. I havn't had the time to upgrade and cs1 does just fine.I'm not exactly sure what features gimp has etc but i know that the photoshop i have does exactly what i need. I usually don't change programs unless something stuffs up or i need other features.
So that means i'll be sticking with photoshop cs1 for a while. When i need to change i'll try out gimp and see what its like.

-HellFire

On the matter of CS1/CS2, you're not missing out much. CS2 improvements, for me personally, was a user-friendlieer way of applying filters (instead of freezing for a few seconds, photoshop now shows a loading bar when applying a heavier filter). To point out a single, of the few improvements. The rest is quite the same, and a few other apps are added, like the adobe bridge.
Which I've never used and prolly never will use either.

I would rather prefer Photoshop, because of the many abilities it has. Such as more filters that GIMP does not have, the ability to install your own brushes.GIMP, I don't like it because it dosen't have enough designing capabilities that Photoshop has.I only started to use GIMP because it was the only free graphics program I could find, but Photoshop, has changed the way I think about graphics designing.I vote for Photoshop, because its t3h secks.

I really like GIMP, I've been using linux for a while so I haven't had much of a choice, but there isn't anything in photoshop that I've done that I haven't been able to do in GIMP. If you're used to photoshop you might need some time to get used to the new interface, but it is just as powerful as photoshop. The thing I don't like is that people assume just because it's free that means that it isn't as powerful as some coastly software, which is just wrong. I could go on forever but I wont bore you but it really is just as powerful, the interface might seem diffrent, but that doesn't mean worse. but to end it I'll just say IT'S FREE, TRY ITIts alot better than stealing or paying $600 for PS.

Edited by hollyhogan (see edit history)