xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Grafitti

Office 2007 Document Problems

I switched over to the final Office 2007 format on one computer. The others are running Beta 2 with the service pack. When i save files in the older doc, xls, ppt formats, i can open them fine on both computers. when i save them in the new version (docx, xlsx, pptx and so forth) they will open fine on the computer that created them, but not if i move them from the beta to the final computer, and vice versa. It's irritating, because also before i installed the final on my computer, i had the beta2 version, and now that i've upgraded, all documents created in that earlier version are no longer readable on the same machine. I get this error at first: (example)"Excel found unreadable content in 'filename.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook?"and when i click yes, this comes up:"The workbook cannot be opened or repaired by Microsoft Excel because it is corrupt."

by the sound of that when the final version was built they (MS) has changed the way that they write to the files, thats why they are unreadable and to the older version seems like they are corrupted!the older formats work fine because there is nothing in the format that has changed between the final and the beta2. i think you will have to upgrade from beta2. anyway, i think that beta2 runs out around February so you might have to upgrade then!good luck, write back if you have any problems-jimmy89

Probably its the same reason that Jimmy gave you. Because I have shifted to the latest Office 2007 Final version and creating documents in the new format would open up in any PC that has the Final version of 2007 (thats the non-beta version). Creating documents in an older format also opens up in the New versions and also in Office 2003.So guess u need to save documents in the Office 2003 format, atleast untill everyone transitions over to Office 2007.RegardsDhanesh.

Possibly... i re-installed the beta2 version on the computer that i had upgraded, but i still can't open the files i created on this same computer, with the beta version of office. I know it was only a beta and i should be saving in a backwards compatible mode, it's just so much easier if you have hundreds of documents to save them in the new format where they take up less than a quarter of the space that a 2003 document does. plus everything that gets lost when you save as older version, especially with excel formatting and formulas. Not to mention powerpoint, which say i have a 20 MB file in pptx format, saving as 2003 mode will increase file size to over 200 MB.

That is called MS screwing people over again! Especially since Beta 2 expires June 1, I think? Personally, I like Office 2003 better except that stupid side bar which I'm glad to see is FINALLY gone. Also, I've noticed that Word 2007 doesn't like to "save" your preferences. I hate the new default font and the template with the spaces. I TOLD Word to use the modified no spaces template with times as the default font. Nope.[N]F

the new format is good because as Grafitti said it takes up much less space. But these new versions are not going to be compatible with the older version of office (2003 etc) unless they download the compatibility patch.i would much rather stick with the old .doc, .xls, .ppt, formats until everyone (or a vast majority) has switched over to the new xml format.if you were just working on your own computer, or knew that your documents were going to be read on a office 2007 system then you can save the files as the new format.

the new format is good because as Grafitti said it takes up much less space. But these new versions are not going to be compatible with the older version of office (2003 etc) unless they download the compatibility patch.
i would much rather stick with the old .doc, .xls, .ppt, formats until everyone (or a vast majority) has switched over to the new xml format.

if you were just working on your own computer, or knew that your documents were going to be read on a office 2007 system then you can save the files as the new format.

But that's the thing: I've been working and saving on 2007 mode, but from one computer to another, and even the same computer, after reformat and windows reinstall, i can't read the files created on one computer to the other.

I've the Office 2007 Pro Final, I don't face any problems opening the files that I've created with Office 2007 Beta 2, which I was testing before.

When I open a document or spreadsheet created in the Beta version, in the current Office 2007 Final, it prompts that the file created is of different format and asks whether to convert it to current format or not. When selected yes the file is automatically converted into the present Office 2007 format.

Edited by livingston (see edit history)

"Excel found unreadable content..."

I am now having this issue with the full release, not anything beta. I have 5 tabs with one query to a SQL database on each tab. The results are formated using the new table formatting option. No matter how I save the file in one of the new formats, close it, and reopen the file, it gives the message, and 3 or sometimes 4 of the tabs have lost their queries and the formatting is gone.

It has nothing to do with "KPI's" as the Microsoft error suggests.

We are working in compatibility mode, because 2007 hasn't been rolled out to the entire company yet. I converted it just to be sure, but still having same issue.

Same issue here too. NOT corrupt.

I have a user experiencing the same problem. All Excel files give the same error(s) from the original post. Yet, other users (myself included) can open the files fine, so we know they arent corrupt.

-reply by u_nick

Unreadable Microsoft Office 2003 files solution ( specially for Microsoft Office 2007 )

If you are experiencing problems with opening excel 2003 files in Microsoft office 2007 with following errors and malfunctions:

1. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding, or read-only

2. The content unreadable and corrupted in any kind of it.

3. .Xls files cause errors with various definitions and error codes

4. 2003 Office files cannot be opened correctly in Office 2007

You can solve the problem with the easiest way available. As you know sometimes the answer is so close that you can�t se it! Just like someone in jungle who sees trees and says �I can�t see the jungle!!�

1. Insert Microsoft Office 2007 CD in your CD/DVD Rom and setup the office again

2. Setup Microsoft Office 2007 again and in the menu choose Repair.

3. Confirm system boot and restart your pc.

4. Open files without any problem!

This method worked for many of my friends who wanted help from me. Hope this will do the trick for you too.

Surf Safe!

-reply by Contractor

help - unreadable content

Replying to Jimmy89

Hi guys,

I am still having problems with this issue. I am using a pivot table (but quite a basic one). Everytime I update and re-save (within excel 2003) when I try and open it I get this error message. Can anyone let me know how I solve the problem - it is driving me mad!

Lisa

-reply by Lisa