xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mirdux

Video Tutorials? should count for more.

I make most of my photoshop/flash tutorials with a desktop recorder, and my intention is to post a few here, the only thing is you'd get almost NO credits for it. Could there be a solution to this?

I don't think there is any way around this. Xisto will be seen by search engines and spiderbots only with text data. So in order to contribute your tutorials to the Xisto community, your tutorial must include text related material. If you want, what I recommend doing is describing the steps in your tutorial and then mention that there is a video for those who want to see this in action. Always good to have the instructions handy while watching the video :)

Hmmm, I assume the same pertains to graphic-based tutorials? The 2 I have posted so far are nothing more than a big .gif image. It will probably be a good idea for me to go back and slice up the screenshots and add some text.Mirdux, what screen recording software do you use? I've tried a couple of them and none of them have impressed me.

Our sister site Xisto has banned the use of Flash based tutorials. Many times these types of tutorials fail to spark any true discussion since people tend to be lazy. I personally don't mind them but "media" based tutorials really require a full text explaination of what is being seen. In my opinion, images and Flash should be used to clarify the text and not the other way around!

Despite how you choose to use your Flash or images, you will only earn credits for the text that you write. I tend to do script tutorials that contain a lot of code which also isn't included in the credit calculations!

The system is automated for a number of reasons but the biggest is to prevent unfair credit adjusting. There will not be any additional credits offered of medai based tutorials.

vujsa

Our sister site Xisto has banned the use of Flash based tutorials. Many times these types of tutorials fail to spark any true discussion since people tend to be lazy. I personally don't mind them but "media" based tutorials really require a full text explaination of what is being seen. In my opinion, images and Flash should be used to clarify the text and not the other way around!

Despite how you choose to use your Flash or images, you will only earn credits for the text that you write. I tend to do script tutorials that contain a lot of code which also isn't included in the credit calculations!

The system is automated for a number of reasons but the biggest is to prevent unfair credit adjusting. There will not be any additional credits offered of medai based tutorials.

vujsa

Good to know. I've amended my tutorial. I was a bit concerned about submitting it, I know some users don't have high speed internet connections and a 600x1450 image is probably a bit excessive. In the past I have only made tutorials for deviantART which are typically just large images with the text incorporated into the graphic. Thanks for clarifying.

@04dsmith86: You can always put a link to the graphic images (or attach it to your post) instead of embedding them directly on the post itself. That should make it 56k friendly also.