xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jaskaran

A Tutorial For Html Color Codes

HTML Coloring System - RGB ValuesRGB which stands for Red, Green, Blue. Each can have a value from 0 (none of that color) to 255 (fully that color). The format for RGB is - rgb(RED, GREEN, BLUE), just like the name implies. Below is an example of RGB in use.Red, Green, and Blue Values:bgcolor="rgb(255,255,255)" White bgcolor="rgb(255,0,0)" Red bgcolor="rgb(0,255,0)" Green bgcolor="rgb(0,0,255)" Blue HTML Color Code - Breaking the CodeThe following table shows how letters are incorporated into the hexadecimal essentially extending the numbers system to 16 values. Hang in there it all makes sense shortly.A Real Hexadecimal:bgcolor="#FFFFFF"The letter "F" is the maximum amount we can send each color and as you may deduce, this color (#FFFFFF) represents the color white. A formula exists to calculate the numeric equivalent of a hexadecimal.Hexadecimal Formula:(15 * 16) + (15) = 255The formula is real simple. Take the first value (F) or 15 multiply it by 16 and add it to the second value, 15. The value 255 is the maximum allowed for any primary color.Let's try another one.Example 2:bgcolor="#CC7005"CC(RR - Red)(12 * 16) + (12) = 20470(GG - Green)(7 * 16) + (0) = 11205(BB - Blue)(0 * 16) + (5) = 5If you want to be absolutely sure your colors will not change, use paired hex values for color. Examples: "#0011EE", "#44HHFF", or "#117788". These are called True Colors, since they will stay true in hue from browser to browser.

Notice from vizskywalker:
Fixed small typo in the title
Edited by vizskywalker (see edit history)

I prefer using hex code e.g. #fff which is equal to #ffffff.it also have an additional points; that you are sure that your color is in the range of 256 web palette. supported by most monitor even in 8 bit color depth/resolution.

This is a nice tutorial, thanks for taking the time to write it.Also jlhaslip, thanks for those links. I really like some of those tables. Athough, usually when i am searching for a color, rather than try and try for it, or look at a table, I go into Paint Shop Pro (just one of the 100s of applications you could use), and i select a custom color, and go from the color selection thing there (just a glorified version of the standard windows custom color selector that shows the hex code in with the other ones, but the standard color selector works as well, and you can use the techniques that Jaskaran provided.

Nice tutorial, I always used hexcode because I could look at a chart and tell which code to put in (although there are charts for those as well). This RGB code is much easier though because you can play with the numbers to get the right shade easier than with the hexadecimal code. I never used it because I didn't know how, lol. I think I'll start trying to use this code instead of the hexadecimal code now because I can play with it to figure out my shade. Plus I use grays and blacks alot so it really makes it easier for those. With gray you just make sure all three are the same number and bingo! there's a shade of gray. Then I can just move the numbers up or down to get whiter or more black. Thanks again for the nice tut!