xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sparkx

Cingular? What Is Going On?

OK I went to the Iphone website and its sounded great. It has a touch screen with 8GB max (4 times what my ipod can hold).

Technical SpecificationsScreen size 3.5 inches
Screen resolution 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method Multi-touch
Operating system OS X
Storage 4GB or 8GB
GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera 2.0 megapixels
Battery Up to 5 hours
Talk / Video / Browsing
Up to 16 hours
Audio playback
Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

Sounds greate right? Then I noticed something odd. It says with a 2 year Cingular contract it costs:
4GB is $499
8GB is $599
But in the news today Cingular is now going into AT&T before the Apple Iphone comes out? It turns out AT&T have always owned Cingular it just kept the name Cingular. Now is this right? Im so confused because AT&T has way higher prices then Cingular and I want a Cingular service on the Iphone (I might get if I start saving now). I already have Cingular, do you think I could change my phone while keeping the same service and number (that would be nice). Or do I have to get a new plane from Cingular (which won't exist when the Iphone comes out). Could somone help me with me, I am so confusion?
Thanks for the help,
Sparkx
NOTES:
-I think this is the place for this kind of stuff. I looked around and found a thread the other day about the Iphone but now I can't find it today? Anyway my question is about the Cingular not the Iphone itself.
-I herd the fact that Cingular is switching from a tv news program so I can't really provide a link to it although it was Fox News that said that (I don't know if you have that were you live but you can look it up on google)
-This topic could fit under many other catigories also. I put it here because the news about Cingular is "What's New"
-Specs from http://www.apple.com/iphone/
Edited by sparkx (see edit history)

Take it from a Cingular customer: ME. Repeat after me: "I do NOT want Cingular service. I understand their service will NOT work in areas it claims to and will drop calls despite what the ads claim."

The iPhone thing is just to make more $$$ for Cingular. My 2 year contract expires this August with that worthless company (thank goodness) and before it does, I'm going to Verizon. Want to know something about Cingular? The same day they started their campaign, I had a dropped call!! Want to know something else? This summer, I was working as a Junior Technician for my school since we got a new high school, I was providing tech support. Anyways, in one of the classrooms on the first floor, I was standing right NEXT to a window and ZERO SERVICE. However, if I opened the window and stuck my phone out, FULL SERVICE. Cingular works, just not inside! :)

If Verizon was going to carry iPhone, no problem. I'd say go for it. But this is the worst network on the face of the planet. Also, you notice how they say "leading independent research company" said Cingular had the fewest dropped calls? I still can't find nor get the company who did the research... in my head I think it was Cingular...

Here's a line up of providers:

ALLTEL: Doesn't work in all areas, but you could be 6 feet underground in a lead box and still make crystal clear calls. I think they still credit you for any dropped calls (though it's very unlikely)

SPRINT/NEXTEL: Semi-good network, hardly any dropped calls. Carries phones that could pretty much survive anything (nextel phones)

VERIZON: Best network & phones. As long as you don't go through the state of West Virginia (they have absolutely no service for any provider... your phone pretty much laughs at you) you could keep a call going cross-country. Also has National Broadband Access which I think you could tie into your plan.

CINGULAR: Garbage, worst provider ever. Dropped calls, network hardly works where you need it to work.

[N]F

It seems that you know what your talking about. What Cingular did was messed up, but It really depends on were you are. Were I live so far only Cingular provieds service (one reason they built a school here). I look forward to the cheap satalite phone service (works anywere down to like 10 ft under ground). Maby your school has something in the walls? My school does so you can't make your recieve any calls inside (and if you manage to get threw its all static). Now I don't know much about Cingular, but I'll look into ALLTEL, I never herd of it before?Thanks,Sparkx

I don't get what some of these people are saying about cingular. I have a cingular phone, and I love it! It has cool screensavers, a picture-taker (you know what I mean! CAMERA!) and it plays music. I don't know about any dropped calls. Then again, I don't really call with it much. I'm too busy having fun with it's other features! ;) Take it from me, cingular isn't as bad as some of these people are saying. Why don't you just test a couple of phones out yourself and see what works be for you?PS- brand names don't mean everything! It's not a BIG deal wheter your phone is a motorola or verizon, just as long as it works!