xisto Community
Scionwest

New Text Based Game Maker A new text based game engine

Hello everyone, I just wanted to stop by and invite you all to try out my new Text Based Game Engine I am currently developing. The engine is being released for free with the source code distributed along with the engine. The game engine is called the TBG Engine Suite and will run text based games on both Windows XP and any Windows Mobile or Pocket PC. The editors and the published projects can both be ran from either platform without needing to make any changes to the project files or source code.

The engine is currently available to download from my company site at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and again is available for free. I need some input from fellow MUD styled gamers! I welcome any constructive criticism as I am wanting to improve on the engine in as many areas as possible. My website has a forum and I invite anyone who is interested to create an account and post their thoughts in TBG Engine Forums! You are free to sell your finished projects if desired due to the engine being released under the GNU public license! Please share your thoughts and opinions on the progress of the engine. Please remember it is in a pre-alpha stage but I am going to be releasing updates almost weekly to the engine suite.

I am wanting to contribute to the community, and build a game engine that has the opinion of the community behind the programming of it! I want to create something that everyone can use so I would like to see suggestions so I can add requested features to the engine!

Any questions please feel free to post in the forum and I should be able to respond to you very quickly.

Thanks for your time! :)
Scionwest.

Edited by Scionwest (see edit history)

I hate how people spam some boards! Its like as soon as someone spams it all these 'ghosts in the darkness'come out for more spam!BLAH BLAH BLAHAnyway, back to the real thread. What type of engine is it? Is it for stand alone games or multiplayer games?How do you test it?

I hate how people spam some boards! Its like as soon as someone spams it all these 'ghosts in the darkness'come out for more spam!
BLAH BLAH BLAH

Anyway, back to the real thread. What type of engine is it? Is it for stand alone games or multiplayer games?

How do you test it?

Sorry, I stopped checking for replies after the spams started. It is still under construction so it's not a complete setup yet, but it's getting there pretty quick. It is a stand along game engine for now, but I REALLY want to make it multiplayer. I just have no network coding experiance. The engine currently runs on windows XP and Windows Mobile. It was wrote in Visual Basic.NET but I am currently re-designing the engine in C#.NET and I have got alot done. Hopefully over the next two weeks I will have the C# version uploaded to my site for download.

For testing, I'm just interested in people creating there own games with it, or using it for a little bit. The engine is useable at the moment, Room Editor, Item editor, monster editor, npc editor and branching dialog. I am looking for bugs and I don't have time to sit and play with the engine much since I am constantly working on the source code.

Please any issues with the engine, included source or any questions once you have it downloaded please create an account on my site and you post in the forums. You won't be spammed!

Thanks for the interest!
Scionwest
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

With work and things like that I dont think I wl be able test it personally but I will forward your site to my cousin. He is stil in school and has much more time than I do. Also, he likes making games, dont know what he uses but some of his games are made in Game Maker (there is a thread somewhere here for that too).Im sure he can put your system through some good testing.Keep up the good work

With work and things like that I dont think I wl be able test it personally but I will forward your site to my cousin. He is stil in school and has much more time than I do. Also, he likes making games, dont know what he uses but some of his games are made in Game Maker (there is a thread somewhere here for that too).
Im sure he can put your system through some good testing.

Keep up the good work

Thanks! The engine is in the middle of being re-wrote in C# which is giving me the opportunity to clean the code up and add a bunch of additional features. I have a blog on the site showing images of the next update. The engine and GUI's have been re-worked alot.

Thanks for passing it on!

Scionwest

I tried to download it, but I have this thing called Win RAR ( I don't know what it is, my friend installed it on my computer), so when it finished downloading, it opened in the Win RAR window! do you know how to get by this, or better yet, how to delete Win RAR?

Chimzee, winrar is used to extract files from a .zip or .rar file.You can uninstall it from your control panel using 'add / remove programs'Nice project Scion. Haven't had a chance to pick it up but i may do so in the near future. :blink:

I got it, but if you can explain me how to use it faster, because I don't wanna spend hours on creating all the armors and rings and all this thingys.-Korinton

I don't really understand what to do with dialogs, and how to do skills, and why is the defense in classes and races don't work?

Files missing

New Text Based Game Maker

It seems good... Except when I try to run it, it says 'Error. Files missing. Please reinstall and contact productor if still not working.'

Please help...

-feedback by Confused...

Great Text base game maker. My friend has IT and Ive used it on his computer but how am I able to get the script, .tar into my computer so I can read it?My friend said it just came with his computer but my comp doesn't have it, so does many other friends of mine dont. It would be a great help if you can tell me. Besides that, great Online game Engine!Thanks,Mark

Hey I am going to be making a new text-based online game but need a little helpIf you help me I will make you an administrator on the game can you Please help with the coding. I have no clue-reply by tomohauk

In need of some guidance for Text Based RPG.New Text Based Game Maker

hey guys, I'm pretty sure you're getting a lot of these lately, but I figured I'd ask anyways.  I'm looking to make a text based, browser based, online multiplayer RPG, kinda like torncity, and global-syndicate.  I love those games, but I had some other ideas for them and figured I'd add my own ideas if I make my own game.  Well that's where I'm lost.  I know I have to have some type of scripting, I'm OK with C scripting, and that's about it.  It's been a LONG time since I did that stuff in high school, but I can catch on quick.  I know what I need to have to make it work, I just need someone who might be willing to help me out with the scripting part.  What I want to do, I've been told takes better scripting than what I'm already doing.  So can anyone help me any with my game?  If you can and would like to help me in ANY way, please let me know and I can tell you my thoughts, ideas and designs.  Thanks in advance guys!

~Levi

-question by Levi

I Need a Free Text based game maker!?!New Text Based Game Maker

I cant seem to find many that you don't have to pay for an Account and I would also prefer it if I didnt have to download anything. I really need help please!! /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley6.Gif /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley5.Gif