xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dhanesh1405241511

Linux "hangs" On Boot

A real quick post. I just though of installing the new version of the openSUSE distro 10.2. The installation goes fine and after the reboot it just hangs (no HDD activity). I keep the power on button pressed for a force shutdown and restart the Laptop with the same option and it starts the desktop and i can work on openSUSE 10.2. I go home and start my laptop up and it hangs again, and this time 3 force shut downs and restarts didnt help either.The last time i shut down the Laptop, i sisnt choose to save my configurations, so that rules out an option of me screwing up with the system config and then shuttingdown. When i installed the 10.1 version of this distro, it works :) I restart it and it works. No hanging etc.I thought it might be a conflict with a hardware component in my laptop, so i hit "esc" while bootup and everytime it stops, it stops at different places of command line. i dont know if i explained this well, but it wont stop at a specific disk mount or a hardware test or driver load. Its a random stop anywhere lol.Now i am just d'loading Ubuntu 6.10 from their site. Tho i have to admit i feel a little surprised that the installation media for SuSE is 3.6GB and for Ubuntu its 698MB. Is Ubuntu as loaded as suse ? and does the installation have the option for GNOME or KDE. Cause ME luv GNOME :) Will install and see how this distro impresses me ..RegardsDhanesh.

What type of laptop do you have because some laptops have hardware problem with Linux.
xboxrulz

Yikes, i forgot to mention the most important thing lol. I am installing OpenSuSE 10.2 on my laptop.

Compaq Presario V5233EA , 100GB HDD, 1GB RAM , F: - 15GB (Where linux will be installed)
4 Partitions: C: - Windows , D: - NTFS , E: - NTFS , F: - Unpartitioned (left for Linux to partition while installing)
Windows is installed already so i am trying to install Linux on top of windows. Very bad combo i know, but just for the sake of playing around and learning the components of linux so i can completly shift to the distro i like.

I was d'loadin Ubuntu linux 6.10 so its done now and will start installing, lets see how that would run. But since i started my linux confrontation with SuSE i am guessing the installation would be pretty much the same here too.

Regards
Dhanesh.

Ok, well i started my ubuntu installation, and after the boot screen and these lines, it just hangs :) now i am shure its something to do with my hardware, but then again OpenSuSE 10.1 works just fine on my laptop with no problems at all. This is what comes:

* Activating swap... [ok]

mount: Function not implemented

* Checking file systems...

fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) [ok]

[17179699.040000] BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

Where [17179699.040000] this number keeps changing after every re-boot. I disabled the WLAN in my bios but keeps hanging here only.

I checked out google and this is what i could find, but i couldent understand much. Could someone please explain this to me in simple words ? i believe there is no solution for this yet. >>LINK<<

Regards

Dhanesh.

Update: I ordered a 5.04 version of the ubuntu CD long ago, used that to start installation. Started fine installation also started fine, when it comes to Partition setup, it says it cant find a partition for installation. :)

I normally delete and leave the F: drive unpartitioned, and suse used to take that and install from there on. Freespire and ubuntu were 2 distros that didnt auto detect the unpartitioned space. This is driving me nuts now. I think i better stick to Suse 10.1 for now as it seems to be stable.

Does anyone have a site that shows updated information of what systems run smooth on what distros or what distros a system can support ? I know this site called linux on laptops >>LINK<< .. but the info there is old as in Last updated: December 24, 2006. And my laptop Compaq Presario V5233EA isnt there anywhere. not even the CP V5000 series. Please post up any updates.

Regards
Dhanesh.

Quiet sometime now and m still stuck with the suse installation problem.I am on suselinuxsupport.de but i am guessing that unless you see the problem for your self, it wont be resolved. I was given the option to try out another distro so leme see if that works too.

I tried a reinstall again after downloading a 10.2 iso again. same errors and same hang sequence ..

i took pictures of few of the errors that show up and stay like that for hours with no change. i cant figure out what this means but probably some of you could ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I installed fedora core 6 but thats a pretty weird problem all in itself lol. I think its the SATA creating problems. Anyone know a way of how i can get to know my laptop mobo make and number and would there be drivers for it ? or how do i know what SATA drive model/serial no i have so finding a driver for linux would be eazy. Just a crazy though.

Regards

Dhanesh.

I myself have had that problem before. Usually, I have just shut down my system and restarted. Of course, hardware does play a role in causing this problem. SATA is probably the WORST for linux. For all types of Linux, SCSI, IDE, or EIDE is preferred. Sometimes chipsets can cause problems too.

fedora core is a beast and it beats the hell out of me.. on core 5.. it takes me 7 1/2 days to replace/upgrade a library since fedora wants me to update a single file ot two with a single file or two dependent modules which i need to upgrade also..

it also have a peculiar higher level of user access controls that can literally block the root account for sometime. got locked out this way and wait for a certain period to let me in again..

it also can render you invisible in the network and you can snoop other computers without a trace..

[i love this one far than the other phenomenon i got]