xisto Community

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

"Google's YouTube video-sharing site has been "noodling" over the idea of creating a linear TV channel comprised of content culled from the thousands of clips posted on its site, YouTube vice president of content Kevin Donahue said."

So I got to thinking: Users create the content and YouTube puts them on TV while the creators get what? If I remember correctly, when you post a video to youtube you pretty much sign away all rights that go with that video. I wasn't sure if I was thinking correctly, so I went to youtube to find the terms of useage agreement. Here it is, plain and simple:

"For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels."

So does this mean no compensation? Maybe not. Maybe youtube will make it like a contest. If your video is shown, you get a certain dollar amount in return. This could be used as encouragement to keep on producing great videos people will watch. Or, it could just mean bigger bucks for Youtube and google, and no money for the creators of the content. This is what happened with that ebaumsworld show that was on TV, they grabbed the most popular videos of the week and aired them on the show. The creators got nothing. What my peeve is, what if someone steels my videos and puts them on youtube and then it makes it onto TV without my permission? If you carefully read the agreement youtube puts out, they're not responsible. I would have to be suing the user who uploaded the video. Youtube claims no responsibility to any content uploaded that is copyrighted. They have a great legal team.

Anyways, this is just my own big rant now. What do you guys think about it? Are you happy about it? Sad? Angry? Nervous about who you show your videos too in fear that they may steal it and upload it to youtube? Fill us in on your thoughts.

Such an idea will never go ahead, I believe. First of all, there are numerous technical problems (apart from trying to fill out a normal TV schedule with the crap found on YouTube). The quality of the video on the site is horrible, and while it might be OK for watching on your little computer screen, watching it on a TV, maybe even an HDTV, will be horrible. Besides, why would people regress to the forced programming, ala the "old" style, when they can watch whatever they want, whenever they want, on the internet at reasonable speeds (and if they have trouble finding good videos, the YouTube front page has a few "featured" videos).Basically, to air a YouTube video on the tube (haha :)) they must have cooperation from the creator of the video, who needs to at least send in a better version of the clip. They have absolutely no business showing what you see on the website on national broadcast! So your point about royalties and copyrights is kind of moot. But yeah, once more, I really don't think such an idea will ever get anywhere.

i don't think that would be able to create such a thing. if they are trying to create a tv 'channel' then that would mean 24/7 they would be broadcasting youtube movies. how are they going to find movies of good quality that they could broadcast?maybe if they wanted to make a tv show, that was on some channel, just for a half hour, something that showed a particular theme (like funny movies/clips) for a while. but they would have a real problem having to find movies/clips that were of good quality and could be showed on tv (you cant really show some movies that ive seen on there on tv!!!)besides, they already have all of the movies and tehy can show them where ever and how ever they want, cause as soon as your videos on their site, its theirs! still, its an interesting idea but i dont think it will go ahead.

What about the people without internet or even a computer? I know that will be a very small target audience, but they're still there. It may sound like I think this will happen, but I actually don't think so. I just want a 2-way argument so people can get both sides of the discussion. I really don't like Youtube at all. The videos are crap, and the Terms of use are just bad. I prefer Divx's Stage 6.What if youtube each week made a 30 minute show of "the best of..." and put them up for a subscription podcast/vidcast on iTunes and it was downloadable show like any other on-demand show for the Apple TV box. Now that's a thought. I don't really know how they could make money from that though.

I doubt this might happen. Have you seen the video quality of Youtube vid's? Imagine putting them on a TV screen.. bleh. Youtube was meant to be an online, but seriously.. I think this is pushing it a bit far. I wouldn't waste my time watching youtube video's on the tv.

What if youtube each week made a 30 minute show of "the best of..." and put them up for a subscription podcast/vidcast on iTunes and it was downloadable show like any other on-demand show for the Apple TV box. Now that's a thought.

thats a great idea! if people want to watch it they can, and if they dont - well dont download it! they could make money on it by selling access to the podcasts, but they would be leaked somehow - everything else is!

thats a great idea! if people want to watch it they can, and if they dont - well dont download it! they could make money on it by selling access to the podcasts, but they would be leaked somehow - everything else is!

Not necessarily sell them, because most people could just go to youtube.com and watch them for free. But people could still subscribe as they do with any other podcast in iTunes and watch them on their Apple TV box. That way they can have something nice to watch every night when they come home from work. They can relax on the couch, turn on their TV, and watch some funky stuff. Some people might catch on to that idea. Not me, so much. I don't watch TV, and the only show I watch is Battlestar Galactica. So my main video and media source is the internet. But for those non-tech savvy people might dig the idea of an on-demand funny video service.

There's news that Youtube is going to pay content providers. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Any feeback on this? Ideas? Suggestions? Anyone think this is a geared move towards Youtube tv?

I'm worried about this move. I would love to get paid for putting my videos on youtube and have people watch and love them. On the other hand, I'm worried that everyone with their webcame and miniDV camera will "videoblog" about how crappy their day was, or ***** about the economy, or do really really bad celebrity impressions and they will expect to get paid. Youtube will be filled with this garbage and it will drive people away from watching youtube, saying it's nothing more than a hub for emos and depressed junkies looking for a quick buck. Anyone else have an optimistic point of view to combat my negativity?

Anyone else have an optimistic point of view to combat my negativity?

Nope, sorry. It seems like a really stupid idea! I mean, I might be able to say one good thing: I don't think that low-quality videos will be payed for, and I'm guessing that the ol' way of uploading your creations, while not being paid for them, will still be available.

It could be cool if maybe videos would be paid for by popularity or something, and then most content creators will choose the non-paying method because they wouldn't want to deal with all the transaction business for a meager sum of money. Might be good after all! Well, we'll just have to wait and see..

Well, that's not SUCH a big deal. I think it's kind of an honor to get your own work published on the web. Then again, I've never submitted anything to YouTube, I just watch the videos. I guess if it was MY work, I would feel differently. I am a total attention-seeker, and I would HATE it if someone else got credit for what I did. So maybe the people who donate their videos to YouTube do get some kind of compensation. It's only fair. But I wouldn't know.