xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

Mcafee Firewall Bug Using Non Standard Ftp Ports?

I recently ran into a strange problem involving McAfee 2007 and my FTP server. I had a friend that tried to FTP to my server but the connection kept getting dropped. At the time I had several other users accessing the server with no problem so I assumed that the problem was on his end. Of course I am not running on the default port 21 but a much higher random port. I also have a hardware and software firewall setup up properly but as stated before, no one else was having problems. I soon found out that he has McAfee 2007 installed. I told him to turn off the firewall but no effect. I had quite a mystery on my hands.After many hours of troubleshooting I decided to go for the ultimate test. I setup a virtual machine similar to his. I went over to the McAfee site and purchased a copy of Internet Suite. (I do some security testing on the side so I have been meaning to get a copy anyway.) The first run was without McAfee installed, everything was OK. Next I installed McAfee and I got the exact same message, connection dropped by server. McAfee was configured properly, the FTP client had every permission need but I was still getting the error. I finally turned off the McAfee firewall but I still got the same error. This shouldn’t be happening.I took a day off to think about it. The only thing I could think of is setting my FTP to the default port (21). FTP server port changed and still an error, but this time it was different. Passive connection could not be established. At least I am getting somewhere. I set the client to use PORT only and bingo, the file transferred.I somehow think I stumbled into a McAfee bug. No one else has trouble with PASV connections (even McAfee 2006 users) on non standard ports. McAfee should be able to accept the connections even if they are not on port 21. To make things even worse, apparently turning off the firewall in software does not really turn off the firewall as the same error occurs. I don’t use McAfee myself and I have found a solution (a somewhat sloppy one) so I am not that concerned but has anyone else had this problem? I Googled the problem but nothing came up.