xisto Community
bakr_2k5

Dr Watson In Strange Dir!

Ok got some strange things going on here on Windows XP x64 edition!

I've got 4 partitions:

C:\ (windows)

D:\ (software)

E:\ (downloads)

F:\ (backup)

I've changed some stuff in the registry to change the default install directories to D:\Program Files and D:\Program Files (x86)... Also I've changed the CommonFilesDir to D:\Program Files\Common Files and D:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files... This works good so far.

BUT today I've discovered that there's a directory called Program Files on the E:\ (downloads) partition!

The full dir is E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW which is owned by Dr Watson I guess.

I think it came with Visual C++ or something included with it, but it doesn't belong there, right?

Also Visual C++ is just installed to D:\Program Files (x86). And when I search in the registry for "E:\Program Files" most of them are in Visual C++ keys!

I really don't know what's going on here, don't think there's some kind of error in the registry since I just checked if I changed the dirs incorrectly! Also I'm not sure if I could move it to D:\Software and change the registry according to the place I've moved it.

Also I clean my registry often with ccleaner, though like I said, those dir configs seem alright to me.

And I don't think it's the cause of some kind of virus because I didn't visited suspicious sites or opened suspicious emails, and I use Firefox which won't put viruses automatically on my computer!

Ok, the Program Files dir on E:\ (downloads) by Dr Watson is: Yesterday, January 09, 2007, 17:19:50

and the Visual C++ dir is created on: Yesterday, January 09, 2007, 17:28:32

So those match up, which indicates it's no virus to me I guess! Though I don't run any virus scanner or a monitoring anti spyware tool. I know it isn't something like that.

I've made a screenshot of my registry concerning about the Program Files edits and such.

Maybe you discover some kind of stupid error I made!

I hope you guys can help me out here, I really bugs me :)

bakr_2k5

Edited by bakr_2k5 (see edit history)

yes indeed this is very strange!!

I dont why its done this,

is there a D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW folder?

If not maybe try copying the E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW folder over there then open regedit and remake the key pointing to D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW then in the E drive rename the top level folder "program files" to something else...then I guess open up Visual C++ and see if its ok..hopefully it will then pull the files needed from the D drive..

Then do a shut down restart..

Then test Visual C++ again..if its all good I would then move the folder you renamed to D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW\backup then you have the files if needed again..if all else fails if Visual C++ crashes at odd times etc..then you may have to copy the folder back to the E drive an rename it...

Grrr dont you just hate odd little windows errors like this!! not hard to work around..but just soo damm annoying!!!

Also if nothing else works..uninstall it all...then run a reg cleaner...then go and check the reg manually for stray keys...then check all the path folders for any traces of folders for Visuall C ++ then delete if needed then do shut down and then reinstall it all again then check the reg again etc to see if its in the right place..

Good luck!!

Marky;)

Hi Mark and thanks for the reply,

No, D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW doesn't exist neither does it exist on the C:\ partition (some build in software like media player try to recreate the program files folder in C:\ ... So I take your advise and try to move it. Looks like editing a lot of registry keys to me, there are quite a lot of E:\Program Files\... keys so I'll see.

I hope it will work, cause reinstalling takes quite time :)

Anyway thanks for the fast reply!

I'll post back if it doesn't or does work for people ever going into this problem!

Well I've never had something like this before. But yes windows has its little annoying things! :)

bakr_2k5

EDIT:

OK this is VERY strange!! Earlier this day it didn't exist on D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW and NOW it does exist! What is going in here man?!?! ....

EDIT2: Oh wait .. It's the 32bit version .. sorry! (D:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW)

UPDATE: Alright found out this Dr Watson (that's in the wrong dir) belongs to .NET Runtime 2.0 (Error Reporting) that's how the reg key is called. AND Microsoft ® Visual C# 2005 Compiler

LAST UPDATE / EDIT:

Ok, moving the files and editing the reg keys worked! At least for now, since I don't really know HOW to cause Dr Watson start up using Visual C++. Anyway it works :) It didn't recreate anything in the reg or filesystem so I think it's done now! Great!

Edited by bakr_2k5 (see edit history)