xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Wordpress 2.0.6 Latest Release

There has been another release of WordPress after the Wordpress Ronan version, or Wordpress 2.0.5 version. Quoting from wordpress.org:

We have a pretty important release available for everyone, it includes an important security fix and itâs recommended that everyone upgrade. This is the latest release in our stable 2.0 line, which weâve committed to maintaining for several more years.
Hereâs whatâs new:

* The aforementioned security fixes.
* HTML quicktags now work in Safari browsers.
* Comments are filtered to prevent them from messing up your blog layout.
* Compatibility with PHP/FastCGI setups.

So, if you have any blogs that you are running on Wordpress, do remember to upgrade it. But before you begin upgrading, do remember to go through the upgrade instructions carefully at this link.
It involves a 5 step process;
1. Take back ups of both the files and the database
2. Deactivate the plugins - I have seen a blog go down because its owner did not remember to turn off the plugins.
3. Overwrite the files after downloading the Wordpress 2.0.6 version
4. Run the upgrade script that would be located in the wp-admin directory
5. Reactivate all your plugins

Some are though waiting for the Wordpress 2.1 release as it is already in beta and also Wordpress.org says that 2.0.6 will be the last release before 2.1. It is not a wise decision to not upgrade if you have a high-traffic blog because as stated it is subject to security breaches.

I upgraded yesterday to this version, the only problem I got is one of my plugin doesn't work anymore, don't know why, the error is very strange with php } symbol, well anyway, I just uninstalled it and don't need it anymore, found another plugin which works fine. I like that wordpress is getting better and better :)

I upgraded yesterday to this version, the only problem I got is one of my plugin doesn't work anymore, don't know why, the error is very strange with php } symbol, well anyway, I just uninstalled it and don't need it anymore, found another plugin which works fine. I like that wordpress is getting better and better :)

Yes, some plugins can be version dependent. That is the problem with plugins - sometimes, the developers do not continue to develop it along with the core code. That is why I keep my plugin to a very minimum and stick to plugins that have more credibility.

PS: One a side note, Aksimet is my favorite plugin. Makes life much easier.

PS: One a side note, Aksimet is my favorite plugin. Makes life much easier.

what does it do? i am kinda low on info with wordpress but i find it a good temporary solution for having a front website to show while i code in the background.

--

a thing i loved with this wordpress is that i can create a guest book trick without any codes involved or adding a script/plugin.

Akismet is a 'spam-busting' service provider. They have a plugin for Wordpress, that once activated by a Akismet API key (that is given free for all personal uses), would filter out all spam comments from the comments list and keep it aside for 15 days after which it would be deleted permanently. You can, with in that time review the list at your leisure, and mark out any false positives - which is a very rare case due to the good job that Akismet does at identifying the spam comment.

Akismet does this with the help of a central database, that keeps track of all the spam that gets posted on people's blogs. If it finds a comment being made in your blog that gets matched against the one in its central database, it filters it out. The ones that you mark as not spam are sent back to Akismet and their software learns from it.

(This is how much I know of it).

Also, they say that it has a open API to interface/integrate with other blogging platforms. The Akismet plugin comes along with the WordPress dowload, and needs to be activated.

You can know more of Akismet at https://akismet.com/
If you are intending to activate the Akismet plugin in your WordPress powered blog, you will require a API key that you can get free of charge (for personal use) by registering at https://de.wordpress.com/

Now, on the requirement you have - to have a good temporary solution when you code in the background. I think WordPress would be a good solution for you, as it has a good code base - you can even start of as a blog and then gradually expand to what you want.

If you want a solution that requires some hard work - I would suggest you go for Drupal or other CMS like Joomla/Mamboo. I used Drupal engine to start my wesbite, WiseTome.com and it is pretty stable for my purposes. I am able to code what I want and add to it (for example a name generator I made: link).

Note: I use both Drupal and Wordpress. Drupal for my website, and WordPress for my blog. Both of them, though are basically content repositories have different kind of work flow in terms of content creation, and hence I have chosen these two separate solutions.

WordPress is a great piece of software, really. It fits its purpose so easily and undeniably fulfills most of your needs! I can praise it all day for its reliability, extendability, intuitive user interface, excellent community, and the vast amounts of plugins and themes available for it (even though this might count as part of the excellent community. :))

Does anyone ever remember phpBB? I know it's not in the same category of software, but I really believe that by the time the new "Olympus" version comes out (right now it's in its fourth beta, and has been like this for a month and a half) no one will have any interest in it, as much as the beta version is promising. I pointed this out because its great for comparing a high-level web code application like WordPress to the mess of security holes that is phpBB.

Anyways, even though I'm not currently using WordPress, I'm definitely waiting for the next minor upgrade (2.1) to check it out. Wow, I love seeing internet communities flourish, and it shows in things like WordPress, Akismet, and lots of other open-source programs, like Drupal for example, which is reaching new heights because of huge involvement on the community's part.

I know I went a bit off topic, and maybe this release wasn't this exciting (:)), but I just felt like speaking my mind. :)

Yes - you spoke my mind, seec77 when you said this release was not that exiting (as it involved mostly security fixes) and I too am waiting for the 2.1 release.

About phpBB - I am not sure what to take of it. It is a real mess in two terms - security and code organization. And the developers committed to phpBB seem to be the hard headed lot, where they do not want to hear from 'mere users'.