xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mirdux

Cryogenix iPod Repair

Recently my ipod had died, too many drops made the hardddrive have difficulty reding the boot files, so it didnt work.... SO a few weeks later i whipped it apart and took a look at the HD.. and the most random thought came to freeze it... now i have a good idea of why this would work, but will explain later for im really tired. But what i did, was put it in the freezer for about 20mins.. then i took canned keyboard duster, turned it upside down and laid down a few freezes on it while it was still cold. i waited till the frost came off the metal and i turned it on, expecting to see an unhappy ipod sign, maybe with a scarf and a pair of earmuffs, but it actually booted, i kid you not. Havent had a problem with it since.. May i have stumpled on a profoundly genius way to repair minor shock-damaged/old hard drives? If anyone has a broken Ipod HD, what do u got to lose? just a freezer and a can of duster and ur set.

Maybe freezing it caused whatever was loose (if anything was loose) inside to be seated properly again? Freezing will in a way "shrink" the metal parts inside. I heard of a few ways users try to fix their iPod's with the sad iPod icon, but freezing it is a first for me.There were many "confirmed" cases where users were saying that slamming the iPod to their hand will fix the problem. Their iPods might have had a loose part inside or something, but smacking it seems to do the trick. The question is how long will it keep working though. Read many comments online that it was working for a short while and then the problem came back. Continued smacking is not a solution....neither is the freezing if you ask me.